Buying A Phone

sidjameson

Actually I recently heard that Morrissey never had one either, so I feel reluctant to leave this hallowed group but I get the feeling I will be socially lost without one in this city.

Ok, so first things first...where is best place to buy one?

Second, Are they all in english?

Third, I want to call, sms and take a pic of reasonable quality, how much will this cost?

Any recommentdations for a model?

Oh and how much is an sms and call? I really have no idea. lol

ONLY DEAL WITH A REPUTABLE DEALER! There are lots of low end phone copies from China that look identical to brand names but aren't the real thing, and they are sold in the little shops that don't have a return policy. Try to stick with the well known brands like Nokia. Get a simple phone with large keys, and forget all those other options that do everything but clean your dishes. Too many phones have tiny keys that you need a pencil to touch and you can't see what you are pressing without magnifying glasses. Also, forget the photos. The quality is poor on most of them... including the expensive Apple I-fones. If you want a picture, buy a camera. All phones have text messaging. It is useful if someone has their phone turned off.

I use my phone all the time in Thailand and wouldn't be without one, but I don't have it for long talks. I just want to answer or pass on a quick message. I get the SIM card from those pretty gals at DTAC and go on a long term pay as you go plan. They set it all up for me and I give them about 500 baht for the calls and it lasts for about 5 months. Don't fall for one of those weekly plans that allow you to talk as long as you want, but it all ends after 7 days.

Welcome to the modern world.

There is a dedicated mobile phone forum on here. Asking there would probably get more replies.

For what it's worth I got my first mobile phone under 1 year ago and I'm an IT professional! I managed to get through 55 years in Europe without using/wanting one, and only bought the one I have for use here in retirement, and even then it was more for all the other things it does than for the phone function. (Playing music and video files, camera, internet radio, satnav, email.)

I'm still on my original 50B top-up after 6 months, and hope to string it out to the full year.

4th floor of MBK has about a hundred different phone shops, can find anything you want new or used

beware some to the shops in MBK....... shop around first.

very tricky ....... don't trust 'em .... especially you don't look like the normal Thai. Cheaper means sometime they gave you fake parts. (Not genuine parts) from the fone compeny's factory. Betteries and chargers are in this case widely seen. cheap? don't give you all necessary Accessories. buying separately will cost more.

a.reasonable quality pics from a fone? most fones come with built-in cam ,quality is ok but to use 'em for a job. not enough though.

b.can text sms and

c. most multi-lingual , basically Eng is a must.

additionally,

for me, I would look at use friendly... easy to use....

i remember once an old fone from Samsung has very bad design software. it took me too much long to compose one simple sms.

I'm still on my original 50B top-up after 6 months, and hope to string it out to the full year.

You mean to say for a 50B top-up the validity period is 6 months..if so which teleco is it...thanks

Don't care about the camera.

If you just need a phonen/sms, get a sturdy Nokia. For example "2700 classic", 2400 Baht.

Never buy at Panthip/MBK and such places. Go to a proper shop in a mall. The prices are almost same everywhere, no need to shop around to save 100 Baht.

You mean to say for a 50B top-up the validity period is 6 months..if so which teleco is it...thanks

DTAC is 2 baht per month

DTAC is 2 baht per month

yep.... to extend the calling period.

have done that............... Cheapy cheap!!!!!!

50 B/top-up for 6 mths. dunno!!!!!. ... Maybe!!! can

check with True... there are so many options..... if you don't make too many calls or make lots of calls - available for u to choose from

depends on yr needs

ONLY DEAL WITH A REPUTABLE DEALER! There are lots of low end phone copies from China that look identical to brand names but aren't the real thing, and they are sold in the little shops that don't have a return policy. Try to stick with the well known brands like Nokia. Get a simple phone with large keys, and forget all those other options that do everything but clean your dishes. Too many phones have tiny keys that you need a pencil to touch and you can't see what you are pressing without magnifying glasses. Also, forget the photos. The quality is poor on most of them... including the expensive Apple I-fones. If you want a picture, buy a camera. All phones have text messaging. It is useful if someone has their phone turned off.

I use my phone all the time in Thailand and wouldn't be without one, but I don't have it for long talks. I just want to answer or pass on a quick message. I get the SIM card from those pretty gals at DTAC and go on a long term pay as you go plan. They set it all up for me and I give them about 500 baht for the calls and it lasts for about 5 months. Don't fall for one of those weekly plans that allow you to talk as long as you want, but it all ends after 7 days.

Welcome to the modern world.

Excellent advice,I banned anything to do with Thaksin ,DTAC give a first class service,and Monthly Billings.Also offer a cheaper rate for more than 3 Users,not just for Companies either. Also,it beeps you should you not pay, not just cut you off.Just go to the nearest A.T.M., pay it,and in seconds it thanks you. Superb,pity they don't run Immigration.B)

ONLY DEAL WITH A REPUTABLE DEALER! There are lots of low end phone copies from China that look identical to brand names but aren't the real thing, and they are sold in the little shops that don't have a return policy. Try to stick with the well known brands like Nokia. Get a simple phone with large keys, and forget all those other options that do everything but clean your dishes. Too many phones have tiny keys that you need a pencil to touch and you can't see what you are pressing without magnifying glasses. Also, forget the photos. The quality is poor on most of them... including the expensive Apple I-fones. If you want a picture, buy a camera. All phones have text messaging. It is useful if someone has their phone turned off. ..........

I learned the "hard way" and tested my luck on one of those chinese Blackberry knock-offs. What a waste of time and energy having to find the dealer repair shop in some really obscure part of Phuket town. Not to mention the incredible lag. Luckily after i fixed it, I was able to offload the phone to one of my GF friend (it still works actually). But you definetly want to buy from a company-branded cell store, or Power Buy, Tesco, Big C, Telewiz, DTAC, etc. The price isn't much different and you get an honorable warranty! There is ZERO advantage to buying a decent cell phone from a street vendor.

And in most cases you can RETURN the phone within 7-14 days, no questions asked. You'll be wishing for that return policy shortly after departing from the street vendor.

An exception to this is if you are buying a cheap phone that you have tested it on site and (for the price), you are willing to accept the risk. After a trip through a Tesco, Power buy, etc you'll see exactly what me, Ian, and many others are getting at.

Also, if you are in Bangkok, check out the Thailand Mobile Expo Hi End 2011 this coming weekend.

There is a dedicated mobile phone forum on here. Asking there would probably get more replies......

Surprised the thread wasn't moved there. But yes, you would get more specific replies there.

I had one when I lived in Europe. Used it a few times to connect to the Internet. Never had one in America. I've never had the need for one in Thailand. Whenever someone calls me from a mobile, the quality if the connection is so bad I can usually only make out every other word. Give me a land line anytime.

Cattle mentality...

Thanks for the advice.

Quick question, I will fly to Philippines and Laos, Cambodia etc on occasion. Is there any phone that is better than others for this? I guess I am referrring to the recharger.

What would the Nokia classic at 2400 bht have that the cheep Samsung at 800bht doesnt?

Buy a True "InterSim" SIM card from 7/11. Yellow cardboard wrapper. English instructions inside.

Top it up for a minimum of 50B at 7/11. Your top-up (and your number) will remain valid for 365 days, at which point you only need to top it up again to get another year.

AFAIK this is the only Thai SIM card that is valid 1 year for 50B. Calls seem quite cheap also, not that I make any.

Actually I find the call quality on my phone to be surprisingly good. Certainly good enough to understand what people are saying. And Thai mobiles are often the same price to call from Europe as a Thai landline, and people with ADSL VOIP packages often get those calls entirely free. I have several people in Europe who call me often (too often!) and it costs them and me nothing at all.

TukCom has phones for 500B and I would describe these as perfectly satisfactory for someone who just wants to make and send the odd call or SMS. For 900B there is a fairly smart flip-top Samsung, which will also do the basic functions and shouldnt get scratched in your pocket.

Chargers on new phones should be pretty standard now as the EU micro-USB requirement is now in place. I charge mine exclusively from the USB socket on my laptop.

I just been handed a free Nokia...but no recharger.....where should I go to get one? The nokia looks pretty basic, and no name to it.

If it is a REAL Nokia, and not a copy, then just about any Nokia dealer will have a charger that fits. All chargers are pretty much the same and some have universal plugs.