Low Offer Or About Right?

Moving to Bangkok next month and we have found the family home we want to rent. The price is 150,000THB per month for 1 year contract.

Which is slightly out our budget. We were thinking of offering 110,000THB per month for a 5 year contract. Is this a reasonable offer for the BKK property market as the landlord would get peace of mind he has a tenant for 5 years?

Or is it crazy to expect such a reduction.

Jebus thats a chunk of coin to pay in rent, I would avoid the 5 year commitment until you can happily say you like living there otherwise there will be financial obligations that will need to be fulfilled if you want to break lease early.

There is no way he would go for it for 1 year. However I thought he might be tempted with the 5 year deal.

Guess Ill put it to him. Could not afford the 1 year in advance and feel the risks too high for that if he sold the house or something else during the year.

150,000b per month....3,000 uk pounds.....4,900 US...THIS IS THAILAND not London or somewhere expensive.....I suppose you must have a housing budget to blow....... Do you get maids and a chauffeur driven car.... I would hope so at that price :whistling::D

THIS IS THAILAND not London or somewhere expensive

Not really if you put a 4 bedroom house for rent with swimming pool in central london it would be lot more expensive than 150,000THB.

Its actually relatively cheap for a brand new house in the centre of a countries capital city.

Correct. 1.2Million THB is a fair amount to pay in advance in a single payment plus 2 months security that would make it 1.4 million. Would be nuts to pay that in advance who knows what could happen in 12 months.

I have heard of many landlords selling properties with tenants during the lease. It's opening yourself up to all sorts of problems if u do 12 months in advance.

Anyway, thanks all for the responses will speak to them tomorrow about the offer.

Edited by BKKdust

Our senior management expats come and go on the standard 3 year (+1) contracts and they still get housing with 1 or 2 year (extendable) contract. The company doesn't want more than 2 year contracts. If the expats can't perform up to expectations, then they are moved to another market before their contract expires. I would recommend against 5 year contract. I have seen too many senior managers move before their term expire throughout the years for various reasons (not necessarily bad performance)

5 years is a commitment longer than most Hollywood marriages. Are you sure you are going to like it here 5 years? If the wife and the kids hate it and leave after 2, what are you going to do then?

Just another observation: I work for a big American multinational Fortune 500 (as a locally hired) and the GM here makes 500 to 600 thousand bath per month, still her housing is 100,000 - 110,000 bath something. 150,000 is a lot of money :)

Edited by MikeyIdea

If it's the detached housing community in Sukhumvit 24, then that's not a bad deal. You could offer 135k (10% discount) and pay in 3-month installments to make it sound like a better deal.

I would not recommend going with the 5-year contract.

Just my opinion, but I think it would be better to live on the odd-side of Sukhumvit in that area - say 31/33/etc. You can get through all of the back-soi shortcuts much easier, and most of the good stuff is on that side of Sukhumvit (residential and otherwise).

For those of you lamenting the rents, you must not know that the rent mentioned is just fine for a detached house in that area. I have a friend who just rented out her townhouse in Sukhumvit 33 for just under 100K/month (and it's just a townhouse).

wow, Ive been googling houses in this price range, seems to be pretty common in BKK, infact would be considered middle of the road considering some ive seen............sigh, make's my 15,000baht standalone 3 bed/3bath joint look like a slum !!!

The price is 150,000THB per month

This has got to be the silliest thing I have read anywhere for many years.

He has money, you don't.

Does that make him silly?

Wonder how he got all that money if he can't figure out this problem without resorting to the opinions of poor people.

The price is 150,000THB per month

This has got to be the silliest thing I have read anywhere for many years.

He has money, you don't.

Does that make him silly?

Wonder how he got all that money if he can't figure out this problem without resorting to the opinions of poor people.

This must b 1 of d greatest rebuttal ever.... on Tvisa.... :drunk:

If it's the detached housing community in Sukhumvit 24, then that's not a bad deal. You could offer 135k (10% discount) and pay in 3-month installments to make it sound like a better deal.

Just my opinion, but I think it would be better to live on the odd-side of Sukhumvit in that area - say 31/33/etc. You can get through all of the back-soi shortcuts much easier, and most of the good stuff is on that side of Sukhumvit (residential and otherwise).

For those of you lamenting the rents, you must not know that the rent mentioned is just fine for a detached house in that area. I have a friend who just rented out her townhouse in Sukhumvit 33 for just under 100K/month (and it's just a townhouse).

Thanks for the info and your sensible reply - appreciated. Last time I was in BKK i looked at that side indeed some nice properties there. I have colleague who lives in Prime mansion on 31 next door to abhisit but the security and the possibility of political flair up in that soi put's me off that particular one. He commented when the red shirts were in full swing he could not even get to his condo for 8 hours!

I also looked at la raffeine in sukhumvit 39 very nice but alas 180k+ is just too expensive :(

The reason for the 5 year contract is 1. I hate moving :) 2. The kids are just enrolled in patana for the longterm as well - so some stability we looked out that way but struggling to find anything of quality.

I like sukhumit 24 and 26 now that kvillage is open, 24 seems to have a nice safe feel to it perhaps unfounded but very nice soi - estate agents have been showing us places asoke down - but don't think i want to consider anything down that way.

Thanks all for the input once again. Should hear later this morning on my "Cheapo" offer of 110k. fingers crossed.

Edited by BKKdust

Thanks for the info and your sensible reply - appreciated. Last time I was in BKK i looked at that side indeed some nice properties there. I have colleague who lives in Prime mansion on 31 next door to abhisit but the security and the possibility of political flair up in that soi put's me off that particular one. He commented when the red shirts were in full swing he could not even get to his condo for 8 hours!

I also looked at la raffeine in sukhumvit 39 very nice but alas 180k+ is just too expensive :(

The reason for the 5 year contract is 1. I hate moving :) 2. The kids are just enrolled in patana for the longterm as well - so some stability we looked out that way but struggling to find anything of quality.

I like sukhumit 24 and 26 now that kvillage is open, 24 seems to have a nice safe feel to it perhaps unfounded but very nice soi - estate agents have been showing us places asoke down - but don't think i want to consider anything down that way.

Thanks all for the input once again. Should hear later this morning on my "Cheapo" offer of 110k. fingers crossed.

It's a very nice area to live indeed but a pity they shut down the Tops there, it was an easy walk to go shopping, Carrefour is a bit too far if you have a lot and the Tesco is only a glorified 7-11.

Edited by PattayaParent

It's a very nice area to live indeed but a pity they shut down the Tops there,

Yes. I hear tho that next to The Davis they are opening some sort of small shopping mall hopefully TOPS or Villa would move back.

Sukhumvit 24 seems to have a large japanese population which is great as they are so polite and friendly and make good neighbours.

And the bad news is we heard from the owner of the house via the agent a few mins ago. No Deal :( :( he will not go less than 140k even for a 5 year contract. The agent said she is very suprised as the house has been empty for so long. Rich Thai-Chinese family guess they don't need the cash! :)

And surprisingly enough he told the agent since we have kids he wants 3 months deposit instead of 2. Don't think so pal - good luck with that.

Ah well keep looking.

Edited by BKKdust

It's a very nice area to live indeed but a pity they shut down the Tops there,

Yes. I hear tho that next to The Davis they are opening some sort of small shopping mall hopefully TOPS or Villa would move back.

Sukhumvit 24 seems to have a large japanese population which is great as they are so polite and friendly and make good neighbours.

And the bad news is we heard from the owner of the house via the agent a few mins ago. No Deal :( :( he will not go less than 140k even for a 5 year contract. The agent said she is very suprised as the house has been empty for so long. Rich Thai-Chinese family guess they don't need the cash! :)

And surprisingly enough he told the agent since we have kids he wants 3 months deposit instead of 2. Don't think so pal - good luck with that.

Ah well keep looking.

It would appear that the owner has shot himself in the foot... The owner claiming extra deposit for a 4 bed roomed house because you have kids has identified himself as a bit of an uncompromising character. I too would walk away after witnessing such silliness.

A 5 year offer was excellent. I suspect that had you taken this house the owner may have presented further difficulties as the property encountered its natural wear and tear over the next 5 years.

Ignore the posters who suggest that B100k plus is silly, their ‘Box’ is different and they appear to have difficulty thinking outside of it.

If you want a high quality of life and it has to be in a central location in Bangkok, with luxuries such as swimming pool etc... B100k to B150K is a reasonable sum to be expected to pay. These houses are often valued in excess of 40 million Baht.

There are a number of high end websites, i.e. Hamptons etc... that show case luxury homes for rent.

One recommendation that many here have already stated is that the long term rent offer could catch you out. A 1-2 year contract with an option to follow on is often the norm, a verbal confirmation suggesting you may stay for 5 years or so is also a winner with a sensible owner.

Renting a condo for a month or two and not rushing into a property is also valuable advice already provided in this thread.

One recommendation that many here have already stated is that the long term rent offer could catch you out. A 1-2 year contract with an option to follow on is often the norm, a verbal confirmation suggesting you may stay for 5 years or so is also a winner with a sensible owner.

Renting a condo for a month or two and not rushing into a property is also valuable advice already provided in this thread.

Thanks for the info. Yeh ideally that would be perfect to rent and look around however our containers arrive end of next month and really want to secure our final family house location before that occurs.

It is strange that the owner wanted 3 months as who else is going to rent a 4 bedroom house without a family and most likely kids. Have the feeling he does not really want to rent it out. Funnily enough last night i saw it advertised for sale at 49,000,000THB on another agents site.

So perhaps he is wanting the sale rather than a longterm rental.

There are still a few options worth looking into and next week I might take a few days off and fly to BKK and kill the property hunt in one go.

Thanks for the info reference Hampton's will check it out now.

Edited by BKKdust

wow, Ive been googling houses in this price range, seems to be pretty common in BKK, infact would be considered middle of the road considering some ive seen............sigh, make's my 15,000baht standalone 3 bed/3bath joint look like a slum !!!

Your 15,000bht a month house makes my 5,000bht a month 2 bedroom bungalow ...........

150,000bht for one month ....... is 2 and a half years rent for me!

Funnily enough last night i saw it advertised for sale at 49,000,000THB on another agents site.

Perhaps another good reason to be careful of longterm rent. A lot of the houses that are put up for rent are often put up for 'Rent or Sale'...

Edited by richard_smith237

Point taken about the political stuff in 31, but there are so many influential people and businesses that need access (production houses, etc) that anything that occurs around there should be short-lived. I think the extra security is a good thing over in the 31/33 area.

With kids I wouldn't recommend the Prime Mansion nor the Raffine (sp). You want a proper house with a yard, etc.

Suk 24 does have a lot of nice condos, but I think it will just contribute to the traffic in that soi (especially if you're talking about a 5-year time frame). About the Tops, yeah it's gone, but I think something else will replace it and there is always the Gourmet Market in the Emporium which is fine. I just don't like Suk 24 for a few reasons, one of which is that it is a shortcut, so that plus all of the additional condos that have gone up recently just make for a bad traffic situation.

Since your kids will be going to BPS, how about considering a bit further down Suk (Thonglor/Ekamai)?

I have a friend who had her house for rent in the Baan Issara project on Rama 9, and I think she would rent for about 150k-ish. I'm not sure if she has a tenant in there right now, but if you are genuinely interested, you can PM me. I don't know about her being ok with the 3 kids, though.... she's a young single woman edit: she was a young single woman when she bought/decorated so the house is set up in a kind of ''fashionable way'' which might not be the best for kids. But like I said, PM if interested.

I still say stay on the odd-side, but that's just my opinion. You will probably get better deals on the even-side, that said. Good luck.

Edited by jcon

BKKDust - I missed one very important piece of information here

jcon is VERY right, if your kids go to Bangkok Patana, then you should be further down Sukhumvit.

Richer Thai parents generally select school based on reputation regardless of how long time it takes for the kids to get there and I just feel sorry for them having to be dragged out of bed at 6AM or before that even. DVD player in the car is a work around not a solution

Max 30 minutes to send the kids to school is a good norm, that's (almost) what it can take to get out of one of the busier Sukhumvit sois on a rainy day. 30 minutes puts you further down Sukhumvit

Excellent choice of school by the way :)

BKKDust - I missed one very important piece of information here

jcon is VERY right, if your kids go to Bangkok Patana, then you should be further down Sukhumvit.

Richer Thai parents generally select school based on reputation regardless of how long time it takes for the kids to get there and I just feel sorry for them having to be dragged out of bed at 6AM or before that even. DVD player in the car is a work around not a solution

Max 30 minutes to send the kids to school is a good norm, that's (almost) what it can take to get out of one of the busier Sukhumvit sois on a rainy day. 30 minutes puts you further down Sukhumvit

Excellent choice of school by the way :)

I was going to ask the following question since the very first day that the post appeared.

How much or were you at all asked to contribute toward the welfare of that school?

If you said none at all, I would literary dash thru the safety glass wall and jump from my penthouse.... :shock1:

I was going to ask the following question since the very first day that the post appeared.

How much or were you at all asked to contribute toward the welfare of that school?

If you said none at all, I would literary dash thru the safety glass wall and jump from my penthouse.... :shock1:

The 3 top international schools, ISB, Pattana, and Harrow to my personal knowledge do not have any staff that solicits or accepts bribes for admitting students.

You are confusing these with other private schools, some sponsored by catholic churches, that do require such donations. There are few farang students in those schools.

Give us a last post before you jump….

TH