If You Are A Sucker For Pad Thai, Read On ...

Tom Kagai

Having lived in Pattaya for a while now, I've sometimes struggled to find a decent Pad Thai however, out & about last night, my wife & I found a simple street stall that serves the tastiest Pad Thai that I've ever had. We chatted with the owners, a husband & wife, and learned that he was once a chef in a reputed hotel, but makes a better living via their simple stall (very believable if you are at all close to understanding how underpaid Thai employees are for their long hours). Anyway, his experience certainly comes through in the Pad Thai, and I've yet to try the Suki and the Pad-see-eeow. All looked good, and were under 50 baht.

Anyway, to cut to the chase; give it a whirl and judge for yourself.

They're located on, what the Thais call, Soi Sophon Market. That's the soi that leads up to Thepprasit road from 3rd road (by the market). As you go up, they are on the right hand side, just passed a pub called 'Chik a Boom', and before a pizza place on the left side. It is worth looking for and grabbing a takeaway or eating on their own tables. Enjoy! :jap:

I'd have said that was Soi 17? Anyhow I live right by Sophon market (at the junction of Soi17/ 3rd road)? but rarely cross 3rd road. Is this place near the PRS or further up towards the Caddy Shack?

I'd have said that was Soi 17? Anyhow I live right by Sophon market (at the junction of Soi17/ 3rd road)? but rarely cross 3rd road. Is this place near the PRS or further up towards the Caddy Shack?

Ah yes, Soi 17, thanks. I wasn't too sure what the soi number was easyride, but the Thais know it as 'soi sophon'. It's maybe half a km from Sophon market, on the left side as you head in the direction of 3rd Rd. They set up in front of a rather non-descript buy & sell Gold shop, which is normally closed when they're set up in the evenings. Maybe 50 metres up from Chik-a-Boom. Sorry, I don't know Caddy Shack or PRS. I'm heading there tonight, and if I see any more land marks, I'll post more info.

Incidentally, they did used to have their stall set up outside 7/11 right by Sophon Market, so you may well have tasted their offerings. Where they are now, they have more room for tables etc.

"Sophon market (at the junction of Soi17/ 3rd road)"

"half a km from Sophon market, on the left side as you head in the direction of 3rd Rd."

"the soi that leads up to Thepprasit road from 3rd road (by the market)"

Three different descriptions that don't make any sense. Last time I checked Soi 17 ends heading North at 3rd Rd., near the fly-over going to Bali-Hai pier -- then becomes another Soi. Is it North (toward Pattaya) of that intersection, or South ( toward Jomtien)?

How could you "head in the direction of 3rd Rd" when Sophon Market is on the corner of Soi 17 & 3rd Rd.? Why use terms like PRS? - When most people reading this don't have a clue what PRS means?

If you want people to be able to find this place, how about some specific directions? - like: on Soi 17, South (or North) of 3rd Rd. on the left or right, just past whatever? It's difficult enough to find anything in cluttered Pattaya streets without having to rely conflicting instructions.

"Sophon market (at the junction of Soi17/ 3rd road)"

"half a km from Sophon market, on the left side as you head in the direction of 3rd Rd."

"the soi that leads up to Thepprasit road from 3rd road (by the market)"

Three different descriptions that don't make any sense. Last time I checked Soi 17 ends heading North at 3rd Rd., near the fly-over going to Bali-Hai pier -- then becomes another Soi. Is it North (toward Pattaya) of that intersection, or South ( toward Jomtien)?

How could you "head in the direction of 3rd Rd" when Sophon Market is on the corner of Soi 17 & 3rd Rd.? Why use terms like PRS? - When most people reading this don't have a clue what PRS means?

If you want people to be able to find this place, how about some specific directions? - like: on Soi 17, South (or North) of 3rd Rd. on the left or right, just past whatever? It's difficult enough to find anything in cluttered Pattaya streets without having to rely conflicting instructions.

And.....google maps is far from rocket science, if someone has the abillity to create a TV account, log in and actually type something......

And.....google maps is far from rocket science, if someone has the abillity to create a TV account, log in and actually type something......

I disagree. Google maps IS rocket science. No rockets - no Google maps. :lol:

I would like to check out the food, but I'm never gonna find the place

Perhaps we could use some rocket science.

Here is a map of Soi 17. The map runs from due North on the left to South. The yellow line represents a distance of exactly 0.50 km starting at the Soi 17/3rd Road Intersection on the left and heading towards Thepprasit Road.

post-34982-0-37149000-1306945405_thumb.j

Perhaps the OP would be able to mark the place on this map.

Another great spot (easy to find)

Pattaya Tai , Next to small soi entrance Center Condo - almost directly across from the 7-11

Guy has been there at least 10 years , all he sells is Pad Thai and has a few tables set up

He rocks them out all night

According to a posting in another forum, Chickaboom is located right next to Tigglebitties Tavern - Both are on the West side of the road - or, on the Right if you're heading South from 3rd Rd. toward Thepprasit / Jomtien.

Below is a link to a map of the location (Click the map to make it larger). Whether or not you'd be able to find the Pad-Thai place once you're there is anyone's guess.

http://www.google.co...321280584683520

According to a posting in another forum, Chickaboom is located right next to Tigglebitties Tavern - Both are on the West side of the road - or, on the Right if you're heading South from 3rd Rd. toward Thepprasit / Jomtien.

Below is a link to a map of the location (Click the map to make it larger). Whether or not you'd be able to find the Pad-Thai place once you're there is anyone's guess.

http://www.google.co...321280584683520

Using the Goggle map you've provide along with the following clues from the OP perhaps someone will solve the mystery:

1. "They set up in front of a rather non-descript [sic] buy & sell Gold shop"

2. "Maybe 50 metres up from Chik-a-Boom"

3. "they are on the right hand side, just passed a pub called 'Chik a Boom', and before a pizza place on the left side."

.... or perhaps it will remain a well-kept secret.

If someone finds it, please put rocket science to use and snap a photo of the joint.:lol:

Sorry, but I've confused things because I originally thought Sophon Market was some way up the Soi. Didn't realize that it's actually the market down at the junction with 3rd Road!

So, going from the 3rd road traffic lights, the stall is passed PRS, which is on your left. Chik-a-Boom is on the right (very prominent), and the Pad Thai stand is just a few metres further up, on the same side of the Soi (right).

Apologies for the initial mix-up.

Edited by Tom Kagai

No matter how tasty their food, if they don't have clean running water with which to wash their dishes

and dont forget.... handling filthy money and pick their nose.... before preparing your food :lol:

Nose picking has put me off a few places in the past.

"If someone finds it, please put rocket science to use and snap a photo of the joint"

Let's hope that someone who discovers the mystery location posts a photo, so others won't spend endless wanderings trying to find it.

This looks like Ticklebites: http://www.mapjackde...?e=bRrRUE9pkc7F

Someone else can do the rest. :rolleyes:

My two cents is that Nuch in Soi Xcyte does a great seafood Pad Thai for 40B. http://www.mapjackdemo.com/?e=4GvRUz6rkc7F (was a laundry when the photo was taken).

And the Pad Thai stall on the corner of Soi Diana and LK Metro http://www.mapjackde...?e=XNvRUDXrkceB (stall not present when the photo was taken) is the biggest rip-off I have ever come across. 50B for a few tasteless noodles in cheap tomato ketchup and a couple of old prawns. (No, the old prawns werent bargirls from LK Metro.) AVOID!

Edited by Darrel

Here is a pic i found of TiggleBitties and Chicaboom is in the adjoining shophouse to the left. So the OP said 50m from here?

Btw, the Jalapeno poppers at Tigglebitties are really good.

post-4090-0-24127100-1307068409_thumb.jp

I've not lived in Pattaya for years but there used to be a fairly attractive woman in the night market on Soi Bukhao who made a fantastic Pad Thai and even better Howy Thot. She was next to the buildings, right side, 1-2 stalls back. Not much English, but very friendly.

You have to LOL at this thread - a bunch of members desperately seeking out the best Pad Thai in Pattaya which apparently is at some street restaurant yet to be found on Soi 17.

night market on Soi Bukhao who made a fantastic Pad Thai and even better Howy Thot. She was next to the buildings, right side, 1-2 stalls back. Not much English, but very friendly.

That should be easy to find. I saw a very friendly woman cooking there last week - It must be her.

"seeking out the best Pad Thai in Pattaya which apparently is at some street restaurant yet to be found"

Not only that, but an excellent demonstration about how difficult it is to find any venue on the cluttered streets of Pattaya - and how lax many people are at describing the specifics of a location.

A few months ago I was trying to locate a Thai Food place in central Pattaya that had no official name, but had been dubbed "Hole-in-the-wall" by locals in the area. People in various Forums had taken a stab at trying to describe the location, but many conflicting instructions led to nothing definitive. Only after much research over many webpages-- and finally finding a photo that someone had bothered to go out and capture and post, was I able to pin it down.

A lot of work, but it was worth it -- Great Thai food (at least for my taste) large servings, cheap prices, free rice and water if you want it. It was a great "find" and I've returned many times.

Sorry to dissapoint ya'll - actually I make the best Pad Thai. To fill my time, I went to Thai Culinary school (not kidding here) and now I can make (almost) any thai dishes, more hygenic, uses clean oil, better and more quality ingredients. The only problem: the 40 baht Pad Thai that I usually get from the street Vendor, now cost me 100 baht to make and then there's the dirty dishes :bah: :bah: