Learning A Martial Art In Pattaya

shartin

Does anyone have some advice for starting to learn a martial art in Pattaya. Looking around the forum the previous posts seem to be somewhat dated. From what I can gather the choice seems to b either Aikido ar Muay Thai. Is anything else available and is it openly accessible to farangs?

Cheers

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best would be to go for Krav Maga. Or Muay Chaiya, if you succeed to find it there.

As far as I know, there is no quality chinese styles' schools there, no silat and no FMA.

P. S. Aikido, muay thai and taekwondo are rather far from what is needed for combat. Aikido being the farthest :D

I think the best would be to go for Krav Maga. Or Muay Chaiya, if you succeed to find it there.

As far as I know, there is no quality chinese styles' schools there, no silat and no FMA.

P. S. Aikido, muay thai and taekwondo are rather far from what is needed for combat. Aikido being the farthest :D

What kind of martial art/self defense style are you training ????

This place says they have BJJ:

http://www.kombatgroup.com/html-muay-thai/training-schedule.html

You did not specify if you want to learn a martial art for self defense, fitness, personal growth etc. Self defense is of limited usefulness in a country with no tradition of single combat. Trouble with individual foreigners is easy to avoid, Thais will simply use whatever numbers are required to get the job done. That being said combat sports can be a wonderful hobby.

Interesting because I would say the most effective martial art for both defense and combat is Aikido. There is are two myths about Aikido that simply are not true:

1) It is for defense only, and

2) it is not deadly.

But I am not going to debate it further.

This place says they have BJJ:

http://www.kombatgro...g-schedule.html

You did not specify if you want to learn a martial art for self defense, fitness, personal growth etc. Self defense is of limited usefulness in a country with no tradition of single combat. Trouble with individual foreigners is easy to avoid, Thais will simply use whatever numbers are required to get the job done. That being said combat sports can be a wonderful hobby.

a bit of all of the abve really......and hoping to never get jumped!

Interesting because I would say the most effective martial art for both defense and combat is Aikido. There is are two myths about Aikido that simply are not true:

2) it is not deadly.

Aikido in it's true spirit is defense only. You will not find Aikido tournaments as the person that makes the first move always will lose.

I am sure Aikido can be deadly if used wrong but this is not the point of Aikido, I studied it around a year in Wakamatsuchou Tokyo Hombu Dojo, the same place that Ueshiba Morihei founded. I studied there under Moriteru Ueshiba and although I am no expert in Aikido it was only over promoted as self defence.

Aside from that the focus was on other things such as living properly and doing things in proper form. Most of the people that went there would not act out of hand in such a way to need to defend themselves. Avoiding bad situations through being respectful and improving you body through a quite rigorous work out in the Dojo was the order of the day.

That being said I was always tempted to try to sucker punch the Sensei to see if the stuff really worked. LOL

2) it is not deadly.

Aikido in it's true spirit is defense only. You will not find Aikido tournaments as the person that makes the first move always will lose.

I am sure Aikido can be deadly if used wrong but this is not the point of Aikido, I studied it around a year in Wakamatsuchou Tokyo Hombu Dojo, the same place that Ueshiba Morihei founded. I studied there under Moriteru Ueshiba and although I am no expert in Aikido it was only over promoted as self defence.

Aside from that the focus was on other things such as living properly and doing things in proper form. Most of the people that went there would not act out of hand in such a way to need to defend themselves. Avoiding bad situations through being respectful and improving you body through a quite rigorous work out in the Dojo was the order of the day.

That being said I was always tempted to try to sucker punch the Sensei to see if the stuff really worked. LOL

Steven Seagal???

The Aikido Dojo in Pattaya unfortunately closed down recently. I used to train there for a couple of years, but had to stop lacking the time to continue - and missing it!

Anyways, Aikido is a martial art, can be used as a self defense and *can* be deadly. However you get taught not to use that power, rather the opposite.

As an exercise it is good, not as tough as Muay Thai or Karate would be but good enough for me.

It depends what you want it for if you want practical self defence in a real situation, then you can't go wrong with Wing Tsun.

We normally train Wing Tsun 4.30pm Mondays and Thursdays on our friends roof by Carrefore Pattaya Klang.

It's a very effective system for defending yourself in a bar the street etc and you can become very handy in a relatively short space of time.

I am in England until the end of September however Ron the Sifu will be back in Pattaya mid July. If you PM me I will give you Ron's mobile number and you can call him when he returns from UK and Germany.

We are a small group of friends and we welcome newcomers from all nationalities.

Ron trained at the WT Castle in Germany full time and is in fact the groups official English/German translator he was taught to teach and even after the 1st lesson you will come away with someting useful.

There are Tae-Kwon do classes in Pattaya but try doing a flying kick when some 20 stone lump charges at you in one of Pattaya's small beer bars. In those circumstances you need something for close quarter combat such as WT.

2) it is not deadly.

i think the chang method should be considered. a large full bottle of it in each hand can be used for attack and defence.

vigorous swinging around of the full bottles will increase muscle size and stamina not to mention balance.

posture is also improved as long as you keep the tops on. the botts can be thrown under or overarm full or empty or indeed throw an

empty one whilst drinking from the other one--------------many combinations and yes deadly for sure if misused.

Some interesting comments and some useful tips.

However, be very aware of Thai laws as you can be liable to fines and/or jail for fighting whatever the reason and whoever started it. Plus damage claims can be heavy.

Self defense is difficult to prove even with witnesses.

Although I have a Brown Belt in Tae Kwondo, only the fringe teaching for close combat is any use and my normal defense against drunk farang idiots who want to hit me for no reason is to tell them to go ahead - IF they want a night in jail and 25,000 baht damage claim. That slows them up long enough for me to slip away. I avoid any confrontation with Thais who could have knives, guns, and at the very least 10 others to join in against me.

2) it is not deadly.

i think the chang method should be considered. a large full bottle of it in each hand can be used for attack and defence.

vigorous swinging around of the full bottles will increase muscle size and stamina not to mention balance.

posture is also improved as long as you keep the tops on. the botts can be thrown under or overarm full or empty or indeed throw an

empty one whilst drinking from the other one--------------many combinations and yes deadly for sure if misused.

OK, let me go ahead and say a few things about Aikido. First, the poster who said it is "defensive in spirit" was right. But that should not be construed as meaning it is never "offensive in the sense of reacting to the opponent." Second, the poster who said "the person who makes the first move loses" was correct. If you swing those Chang bottles at an Aikido Master you will end up eating them. In Aikido you almost always (not always) wait for your opponent to "move." Then you react. The reaction is normally to move "off the line of attack" or to position yourself for a proper reactionary move, which can hurt :) and can sometimes be deadly (but it would not be right for me to say how). You mentioned "balance." Balance is critical in Aikido, far more critical than muscle size. So is posture. So is maintaining the proper distance between yourself and your opponent. So is movement using your feet (very important in Aikido). In theory, if you really know what you are doing, it is not that easy for an opponent to strike you; instead he strikes air. And it would not be wise for an opponent to ever leave his feet and try to kick you like in the Kung <deleted> Chinese movies :) Yes, defensive in spirit but very effective, especially, I think, if combined with a few simple "street fighting" techniques. It is good for the mind and body.

OK, let me go ahead and say a few things about Aikido. First, the poster who said it is "defensive in spirit" was right. But that should not be construed as meaning it is never "offensive in the sense of reacting to the opponent." Second, the poster who said "the person who makes the first move loses" was correct. If you swing those Chang bottles at an Aikido Master you will end up eating them. In Aikido you almost always (not always) wait for your opponent to "move." Then you react. The reaction is normally to move "off the line of attack" or to position yourself for a proper reactionary move, which can hurt :) and can sometimes be deadly (but it would not be right for me to say how). You mentioned "balance." Balance is critical in Aikido, far more critical than muscle size. So is posture. So is maintaining the proper distance between yourself and your opponent. So is movement using your feet (very important in Aikido). In theory, if you really know what you are doing, it is not that easy for an opponent to strike you; instead he strikes air. And it would not be wise for an opponent to ever leave his feet and try to kick you like in the Kung <deleted> Chinese movies :) Yes, defensive in spirit but very effective, especially, I think, if combined with a few simple "street fighting" techniques. It is good for the mind and body.

I agree with a lot of your points regarding movement etc.

In Wing Tsun we wait for the first move we cannot do Wing Tsun unless the opponent acts first. That doesn't mean we wait until we are attacked but rather we anticipate it with his movements and intent. Then we react with lightning speed, purely based on our practice practice and more practice can we achieve this. I am by no means a master or even of instructor grade but against the average drunk thug I am more than a match. I'm only 5ft 6 and 11 stone so am a very small guy. I have said to people starting trouble in the past they have a lot more to lose than me by starting on me as they might lose to a little guy and look stupid.

Never kick, you compromise your balance both feet must be firmly placed on the floor we only kick when we have control of the opponent. Close the distance of the attack it screws up his range completely and also it shocks them as your supposed to flinch when they attack not step into them. We incorporate very good footwork (probably similar to Aikido) which enables us to not be there at the point of his intended impact.

I respect Karate-Do and Tae-Kwon Do exponents greatly they put a lot of effort and training into their arts and from their fitness alone are more capable and confident of defending themselves, however having spent a number of years training in both of these arts I now see training in WT their effectiveness in a close up bar brawl is not confidence inspiring. And I am more than happy I have found another way.

I agree with a lot of your points regarding movement etc.

In Wing Tsun we wait for the first move we cannot do Wing Tsun unless the opponent acts first. That doesn't mean we wait until we are attacked but rather we anticipate it with his movements and intent. Then we react with lightning speed, purely based on our practice practice and more practice can we achieve this. I am by no means a master or even of instructor grade but against the average drunk thug I am more than a match. I'm only 5ft 6 and 11 stone so am a very small guy. I have said to people starting trouble in the past they have a lot more to lose than me by starting on me as they might lose to a little guy and look stupid.

Never kick, you compromise your balance both feet must be firmly placed on the floor we only kick when we have control of the opponent. Close the distance of the attack it screws up his range completely and also it shocks them as your supposed to flinch when they attack not step into them. We incorporate very good footwork (probably similar to Aikido) which enables us to not be there at the point of his intended impact.

I respect Karate-Do and Tae-Kwon Do exponents greatly they put a lot of effort and training into their arts and from their fitness alone are more capable and confident of defending themselves, however having spent a number of years training in both of these arts I now see training in WT their effectiveness in a close up bar brawl is not confidence inspiring. And I am more than happy I have found another way.

I saw the WT. Some moves are similar to Aikido, but it looks like WT focuses a lot on being in front of your attacker trading strikes...also more kicks. It looks very effective for street fighting. In Aikido you normally do not want to be in front of your attacker trading strikes; rather, you position yourself to the side or even behind your attacker. Often you do move towards your attacker, but that is not for the purpose of trading strikes like in a boxing match. I think for most people, WT or Aikido training would be enough to protect you from most situations you might encounter on the street. The best defense is to do everything possible to avoid a fight.

If you wish to train to defend against street/bar fights,you cannot beat Krav Maga,it takes many of the best parts of other martial arts and uses them to create a devastating self defense mechanism.....strikes to the throat,eyes,groin etc using feet,hands,elbows,knees....the idea being if attacked,burst in and totally devastate the attacker as quickly as possible...it isnt pretty,but i works and the hope is you go home in one piece and your attacker doesnt....also a great cv workout.....try it....

If you wish to train to defend against street/bar fights,you cannot beat Krav Maga,it takes many of the best parts of other martial arts and uses them to create a devastating self defense mechanism.....strikes to the throat,eyes,groin etc using feet,hands,elbows,knees....the idea being if attacked,burst in and totally devastate the attacker as quickly as possible...it isnt pretty,but i works and the hope is you go home in one piece and your attacker doesnt....also a great cv workout.....try it....

The trouble is Krav Maga is by far the most expensive martial art to learn, very commercial and a rip off in my opinion. And since it is basically Muay Thai with a little Judo/Jujitsu thrown in, why not learn Muay Thai and Judo/Jujitsu for a tenth of the cost. Once you know a little of these, Krav Maga basically looks like a sort of burst of basic attacks from these more fundamental disciplines. In fact, it looks like angry Muay Thai + angry Judo/Jujitsu, i.e., psyche yourself up into a rage, elbow, knee, smash, sweep as much as you can and then run. I've never done Krav Maga, so I could be wrong, but based on what I've seen that is what it is.

There are a lot of "martial arts" that look great while the guy leaves his arm out there for the instructor to go all Jackie Chan on. Most TMA and many CQC schools rely on purely anecdotes "one time, my instructor..." part of what makes the techniques so awesome is they are impossible to catch on video being used in real life against a resisting opponent.

Check Youtube, hundreds of videos of Judo throws, Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, Muay Thai techniques all being used successfully in real life situations AND in sport, but somehow these super secret deadly schools of TMA and CQC are just too fast (or too secret) to be caught. All this was put to rest in UFC 1-5.

Yes, these "devastating" martial art may be built entirely around nut kicks and eye pokes- and that's the usual excuse for their lack of sparring or evidence of any effectiveness. But who do you think is going to be better at nut kicks and eye pokes- the Muai Thai guy who kicks the bags and punches the pads accurately, full force and practices non-cooperative, non-stepped sparring or the chubby dude in the black tee-shirt complaining that you are "attacking him all wrong" at half speed?

If you are in a class, and you spend a lot of time practicing a silly way of attacking someone, and defending that silly attack, then you are wasting your time. If you have never seen a fight start that way, and can't find video or statistical evidence of ANY fight ever starting that way, or involving that technique then it is highly unlikely that it will ever be of use to you in a fight. Practice it for fun- by all means. Historical combat arts are fascinating and very enjoyable, but interpretive dance based on an an unsupported narrative and revenge fantasies does not a viable self defense system make.

Try and find the same for Wing Chun, Krav Maga, Akido etc. and you'll get a lot of excuses.

The trouble is Krav Maga is by far the most expensive martial art to learn, very commercial and a rip off in my opinion. And since it is basically Muay Thai with a little Judo/Jujitsu thrown in, why not learn Muay Thai and Judo/Jujitsu for a tenth of the cost. Once you know a little of these, Krav Maga basically looks like a sort of burst of basic attacks from these more fundamental disciplines. In fact, it looks like angry Muay Thai + angry Judo/Jujitsu, i.e., psyche yourself up into a rage, elbow, knee, smash, sweep as much as you can and then run. I've never done Krav Maga, so I could be wrong, but based on what I've seen that is what it is.

I agree Krav Maga in Thailand is expensive,i pay the same here for one hour as i do in London for 90 mins...

I also agree in what you say 'psyche yourself up into a rage, elbow, knee, smash, sweep as much as you can and then run'.....but that is the idea,Krav is self defence,not a martial art....the idea being should u find yourself under attack from one or multiple attackers you basically steam in with a huge amount of aggression and hope that you come out the other side....which is why the strikes are focused on the throat and groin primarily.....very few 'tough guys' can handle strikes to those areas and keep fighting....

which is why the strikes are focused on the throat and groin primarily.....very few 'tough guys' can handle strikes to those areas and keep fighting....

No offense, but what is your evidence that a throat punch is either debilitating or feasible under combat conditions? Neither is prohibited under Muay Thai, Boxing or MMA rules like groin strikes are. Have you ever seen a fighter "fouled" with a throat punch? In Judo and MMA a variety of chokes apply hundreds of pounds of pressure directly to the cartilage at the front of the throat with no harm. So either professional fighters choose not to strike a legal, debilitating, it is nearly impossible for a trained fighter to hit, and that target is also NEVER accidentally hit with noticeable results the way the groin is- or maybe it's not the g-spot of the fight game you were told.

Same applies for "just kick him in the knee". We all loved Roadhouse- fun movie, but if ending a fight was that easy, pro MMA and MT guys would be kicking each other in the knees all day long. If they can't pull it off- it's unlikely the rest of us can.

I'm not dismissing Krav Maga in it's entirety, but without real sparring and a reliance on techniques that cannot be practiced realistically, myths like this prevail in faith-based systems.

Edited by KMBKK

which is why the strikes are focused on the throat and groin primarily.....very few 'tough guys' can handle strikes to those areas and keep fighting....

No offense, but what is your evidence that a throat punch is either debilitating or feasible under combat conditions? Neither is prohibited under Muay Thai, Boxing or MMA rules like groin strikes are. Have you ever seen a fighter "fouled" with a throat punch? In Judo and MMA a variety of chokes apply hundreds of pounds of pressure directly to the cartilage at the front of the throat with no harm. So either professional fighters choose not to strike a legal, debilitating, it is nearly impossible for a trained fighter to hit, and that target is also NEVER accidentally hit with noticeable results the way the groin is- or maybe it's not the g-spot of the fight game you were told.

Same applies for "just kick him in the knee". We all loved Roadhouse- fun movie, but if ending a fight was that easy, pro MMA and MT guys would be kicking each other in the knees all day long. If they can't pull it off- it's unlikely the rest of us can.

I'm not dismissing Krav Maga in it's entirety, but without real sparring and a reliance on techniques that cannot be practiced realistically, myths like this prevail in faith-based systems.

A hard strike to the throat is debilitating,of course it is.....im not saying one strike will stop everyone,but its incredibly painful and would stop the average thug 9 times out of 10 im sure.....

Im not talking about chokes here,im saying a hard strike to the throat would stop most people,if not completely,then for those few precious seconds to inflict more damage,or to get away,which is the idea in Krav Maga.....

A hard strike to the throat is debilitating,of course it is.....im not saying one strike will stop everyone,but its incredibly painful and would stop the average thug 9 times out of 10 im sure.....

Im not talking about chokes here,im saying a hard strike to the throat would stop most people,if not completely,then for those few precious seconds to inflict more damage,or to get away,which is the idea in Krav Maga.....

I understand that you're "sure". But why? What is your evidence? How come in all of the millions of hours of video footage, and millions of punches we see thrown at the chin in boxing, MMA and Muay Thai why do none miss, or even slide off a sweaty chin and hit the throat? So you have faith in the absence of evidence, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. That's a religion not a systemic evidence based approach to combat.

There is not even a working theory as with palm strike to the chin- eg. a huge body of scientific evidence that a blow to thechin maximizes torsional gravitational force on the brain, an equally large amount of forensic evidence from emergency room intake that the unprotected bones of the hand are broken easily in a traditional fist position- thus a theory that using the open palm to the chin might be more practical. The thinking behind the throat strike is just "oh that hurts when I do that- yup it's a fight ender" by that token Indian Burns and Noogies are fight enders as well.

Edited by KMBKK

Throat strikes can easily end in a fatality.

Citation? Urban myth. Like the "nose punch of death". No medical evidence, no credible media reports. Teenage locker room fantasy.

Are you sure that they are permitted in the sporting martial arts?

*Actually* they are banned in more recent MMA competitions in several states. But so are groin strikes- yet they are a routine occurrence and their effect well documented. When throat strikes were NOT banned in MMA they were still never used- while groin strikes, grabs and hair pulling were (with mixed results). Eye gouging, biting and finger breaking have a long and well documented history in both boxing and wrestling to testify to their effectiveness. Throat strikes? Nothing.

I beg to differ,im not saying the throat is the best place to strike,nor at times the easiest place to hit,but,if done correctly the result is devastating,fact....same as a well delivered punch to the jaw/chin,knee in the groin etc....it will inhibit breathing and incapacitate the victim for a period of time,enough to make an exit,which as i said before is the ethos behing krav Maga...its not a martial art where u have rounds and points,its self defense,maximum damage,minimum effort and u walk away.....

I understand that you're "sure". But why? What is your evidence? How come in all of the millions of hours of video footage, and millions of punches we see thrown at the chin in boxing, MMA and Muay Thai why do none miss, or even slide off a sweaty chin and hit the throat? So you have faith in the absence of evidence, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. That's a religion not a systemic evidence based approach to combat.

There is not even a working theory as with palm strike to the chin- eg. a huge body of scientific evidence that a blow to thechin maximizes torsional gravitational force on the brain, an equally large amount of forensic evidence from emergency room intake that the unprotected bones of the hand are broken easily in a traditional fist position- thus a theory that using the open palm to the chin might be more practical. The thinking behind the throat strike is just "oh that hurts when I do that- yup it's a fight ender" by that token Indian Burns and Noogies are fight enders as well.

I think you oversee the fact that they guys in the ring are actually wearing gloves.

Try to hit the throat with the gloves on .... Now try to hit the throat again with your bare hands, the results can end much worse then you would expect.