Becoming A Translator

I know Thai language plenty well enough to translate from Thai into English. I just don't know how to get into the business, and, if a freelance translator can get a work visa. Don't know who to ask, so I'm asking the board and hoping for a couple of clues.

Some Thai language books are among the things I'm most interested in translating into English.

Thanks much.

It helps if you've done certified translation course, via the UN for instance. Otherwise, people don't generally don't want to touch you.

I speak Thai pretty well too, but I'd never claim to be able to translate as they are entirely separate skills.

You will have trouble getting a work permit as the folk who hand them out will be convinced that a Thai can do that job.

As to the translation of books, you may be able to buy the English language rights to publish the books, but I would not recommend telling the authorities that you will be doing the work in Thailand. Presenting a completed work for publication may get some interest, but if the publishers thought there was a Baht to made, they would have had a local translator do the work, so you will be looking at self publishing. You then run the risk of someone copying your work and selling it. :shock1:

I think I remember seeing more than a few posts by others on this Forum that 'Translator' was on the list of occupations that foreigners were not allowed to do.

Not true. Translation work is not among the occupations restricted to foreigners by the Royal Decree of 1979. Sensibly enough.

http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/countries/thailand/business.asp

Edited by CaptHaddock