Ipad2 With 3G - Any Point

Khon Baan Nok

I will buy an Ipad2. The issue is whether to get one with 3G or NOT with 3G. I have a cell phone with an AIS account - can access the Internet via my Nokia E71, though it is not very elegant.

Is there any point in purchasing a 3G Ipad2, and if yes, how do you make use of it and what is the impact on monthly phone bills?

Tks in advance,

KBN

I did not get the 3G version because I can create a WiFi hotspot using my iPhone 4 and can connect through True 3G with my iPad 2. But....I cannot get the iPad to very accurately find my location. For example, if I am connected through my iPhone and am using Google Maps on my iPad, it gives me an approximate location of where I am. The reason is the non-3G version does not have a GPS unit built in, but the 3G version does. I don't know just how important that is to you, but I am ok with it. If I need spot on accuracy, I can use my iPhone. Otherwise, the iPad is within approximately 50 meters.

Hope this helps.

I got an iPad1 with the max memory and 3G.

Never have I wasted my money on something so useless.

Not completely useless, but more a toy for movies or music or podcasts, the last two of which can be done much cheaper.

Do you know you cannot post to this forum with an iPad? Among a pile of other good reasons not to buy. If I could get a half decent price for the iPad I would buy a small Macbook Air it's a proper laptop for working on which I patently can't do on the iPad.

Hate it and when I mentioned it to my old mate Pete he said he thought he was the only one.

Edited by cheeryble

Is it true, you cannot post here with an ipad?

Even in mobile view?

Since I'm using an iPad 2 to post this, no it isn't true. Can't speak for anyone else obviously, but no problems here.

Which browser etc MKAsok? Or has Thaivisa now changed their software perhaps?

To the OP. If you buy it'll be welcome to the world of "Things I cannot do"

Edited by cheeryble

Which browser etc MKAsok?

That post (I'm now using my PC with Firefox) was made using Safari on an iPad 2 iOS 4.3 (8F191).

Hmm just tried on Safari on the iPad it won't put a cursor in the box to type. It highlights the whole box and gives me the option to COPY.

I'm not the only one this is common.

Of course I abandoned Safari because of the ridiculous page change thing no tabs, where if you shut off and go down the road it loses what's on the pages as it tries to reload them. If it CAN reload you only have to waste time waiting whilst it does so. If it can't reload you're !#$%ed.

What a waste of space......but great for just reading....OH except if you're flicking down a long document you just have to flick and flick and flick and there's no way to flick wholesale.

We already talked about this problem, it seems so far that iPad 1 / iPad 2 are able to post on thaivisa with every iOS version up to 4.3.2.

The newest iPad iOS 4.3.3 regularly crashes.

hmmm my problem not Safari crashing but just won't work on the forum.

Some forums The perfect Browser and Atomic work, but PB crashes every 5 minutes and Atomic lacking somewhat and at least one crash for me.

Mail automatically opens in Safari (cannot open behind BTW grrrrrr) which I don't ever want to use in my life which is another lousy thing. Naturally you can't change the default so you're stuck with it. Naturally youtube doesn't play. Imagine that!

The iPad makes a great book if you don't mind scrolling an awful lot. I mean book. But who needs to pay 25,900 for a book?

Cheeryble

well I have officicially switched to iChromy as it has real tabs and mimics the Chrome web browser. But... I can confirm that it also does not allow posting to TV with either Quick Reply or the full editor.

well I have officicially switched to iChromy as it has real tabs and mimics the Chrome web browser. But... I can confirm that it also does not allow posting to TV with either Quick Reply or the full editor.

The main reason I got the iPad was to do stock moves on the fly. Like tonight I needed it.

However apart from not allowing scrolling charts in Google Finance which are indispensable for quick checking, the iPad simply won't support a workable version of my tradestation.

Crap from top to bottom.

But great as a book.

I have both an iPad 64gb with 3G, as well as an iPhone 3gs.

The next iPad I buy will probably not have the 3G option, as there's a simple & straightforward solution, that gives you easy access to 3G on your non-3G iPad!

All you do is switch on BlueTooth on both the iPad & iPhone, then 'pair' your iPad & iPhone together, so they can access each other (presume this would also work on other smartphones, with both bluetooth & 3G?). Then on your iPhone, just switch on 'Internet Tethering' & allow Bluetooth 'tethering' and that's it.

It really is a one-off task to set this all up & after that, you have 3G access on your non-3G iPad, essentially sharing the 3G connection on your phone & once set up, as long as you leave the connections switched on, it all then happens automatically.

The other advantage is that you only need one sim card and one data plan too!

I bought my iPad as a 'toy' but have been genuinely surprised that it has become an extremely useful business tool for me. It's not a replacement for a computer / laptop though.

• 2 months later...

I know another thread going on this unable to post from Ipad 2, Wifi +3g.... but I too, still having problems posting to this forum. (done all updates, I think !!!)

I can send PM messages, on Thai Visa, but that is it!:angry: A little annoying when travelling around and want to just be able to do things without a Wifi Hot spot. (although that does not make a difference to posting here)...

I agree with Nikster, (your answers usually always usefull!!! thank you!!! :)) It is useful for GPS locations, when traveling, mine does pin point exactly where I am also if you use the camera, it does keep all the photo locations, that is very useful, when reviewing. ... although they are only 640 x 480 in size. I was surprised at that, but I generally carry a regular camera with me... but smaller images are fine just for adding to emails etc. But would never do if you get that million$ shot!

Just a side point, and this pertains to me or others on Samui, perhaps other areas too? I put in a True Sim card in anticipation that 3g is coming soon....(????) but their regular signal is next to useless, so yesterday I switched to a DTAC sim card and much much better, (I had tried in several areas of Samui! all poor reception, inside and out )

When I phoned True to cancel, they seemed quite sympathetic and I've had three calls and the promise of one more for me to switch back...and fix what I don't know!!! :rolleyes: I'm really not quite sure what they can do until they get their stuff (there is another word I could use there! ....) together and get the 3g up and running... that keeps on going on "next month, next month...:annoyed:

I know that 3g is pretty darn good, after using on the Ipad in Malaysia for three weeks... did not matter where I was..... btw... this will be another problem when travelling around Thailand... some places will have others not....

Perhaps I'll try a couple of the other browsers programs to see if it works, but it is strange that Safari works for some and not others... :blink:... why only some of us? :angry:

From a different perspective I am one to very quickly recycles and sells my technology when the next version comes out... I bought the 3G version because I thought I could recoup most of the 4k baht when i move up to the IV :D

With that said I most always get the internet (away from home) using iTethered iPhone which has Trues unlimited data plan

Sent from the iPad with no problems :D :D

• 2 months later...

I can't work out Airplay to print to my wireless printer, but this is my first venture in to iPadism. No big problem as I have a PC and Laptop.

I thought the iPad would be better for travelling with it's size and weight, so I remain reasonably happy regards emails and getting onto the news and my footie site.

I wouldn't queue up all night for it though, as many did.

Edited by Beechboy

• 1 year later...