Baby On Thai Airways

Ashmanator

I recently flew to Bangkok on Thai Airways with my wife and 4 month baby. First flight for the baby, so was intrigued as to how it would be.

Fortunately she enjoyed it and didn't fuss at all.

However, when boarding the plane, I was told that we could not take the baby car seat/ carrier onto the plane. I was previously lead to believe that was the best way. SO, no big deal, followed instructions.

When it came to seating arrangements, the flight attendant told me that they did not have safety belts for babies. I was so surprised that I just let it go. But halfway through the flight, thought it very strange. I'm sure I have seen babies get special harnesses that attach to the adult seat belt.

Any experiences anyone?

We did get a baby life jacket, but no instructions how to use it.

Air Asia on the return allowed the car/ safety seat.

In order to bring a car seat on the plane you have to purchase a full ticket for the child.

If you buy an "on the lap" ticket for the baby (which is WAY less compared to a full ticket, ie $60 vs $1000) then you don't get to bring a car seat. However they do sometimes provide a bed for the baby which attaches to bulkhead wall.

If you did buy a full ticket for baby and they wouldn't let you bring the car seat then you should complain. If you purchased a "ride on the lap" ticket...how would you ride with a carseat on your lap?

I'm surprised they didn't give you a baby lap belt (they did for us the only time we've tried Thai with our baby). However, the baby is probably safer with your arms around her in turbulence than with some belt anyway. Not something I'd be inclined to complain about, unless you asked for a cot and were not given one, thus requiring you to hang on tight to baby for 12 hours - now that could get me very peed off!