Baggage/Luggage Allowance

nong38

I will soon return to Thailand and I have a new case which , as I am coming for 10 months will be full! I suspect it will be over my allowance of 20 kgs so can anyone give me any idea what I might have to pay extra per kg? I have looked on a couple of airline sites but they dont seem to give much information so if anyone can give me a steer I would be grateful, Thanks

I have not booked the flight yet as have still some things to do which cannot be left unresolved, I see most airlines state 20kgs free and then its a question mark. If I had to choose which airline I would say JET, EVA or THAI depending on what offers they have to tempt me to open my wallet!

I have not booked the flight yet as have still some things to do which cannot be left unresolved, I see most airlines state 20kgs free and then its a question mark. If I had to choose which airline I would say JET, EVA or THAI depending on what offers they have to tempt me to open my wallet!

Don't hold your breath for offers - flights have escalated in price and I see few 'good deals'.

EVA are very clear on their website (as I suspect the others are). I believe EVA charge 1.5%, of the highest one way ticket for that flight, for each kilo over weight. So, for example, 10kg over would be 15% of circa £440 = £66

I have checked in 25kg with them before without a problem.

I have just found a service here in Oz but no doubt there will be similar service else where for unaccompanied baggage which is much cheaper than paying excess luggage charges . They ship the luggage on different flights and u can pick up from the airport when you arrive. Maybe a good option for you.

Here is a link for the service i found so you can get a better idea Jetta Excess Luggage .

also depending on the amount of hand luggage you're carrying.

normally you're allowed to carry about 7 kg in hand luggage but if you don't have much hand luggage they maybe will

not be that tough on you carrying some overweight in you're check baggage.

If you're flying from the UK Emirates give 30kg in Economy.

Thanks for that did not know they give 30 kgs, everyone I looked at was 20.

Also check out Jet-Airways & Kingfisher, I believe that both allow over-30 kgs, at the cost of a transit in India (security can be a 'pain').

EgyptAir allow an extra 5 kgs of hold-luggage, if you join their FF-programme pre-flight, and 8 kgs of carry-on (aot the standard 7 kgs).

And I think Oman-Air were also allowing 30 kgs, the last time I looked ?

Here's their baggage allowance calculator:

http://www.emirates....calculator.aspx

I found this yesterday, £140 for 5 kilos, looks like I will fly with Emirates or take my chance with EVA

Air France one bag of 23 kg . You can purchase a further 23 kg at the rate of 55 € or so

You are allowed one 12 kg cabin's bag

Thats interesting, maybe an option

Also check out Jet-Airways & Kingfisher, I believe that both allow over-30 kgs, at the cost of a transit in India (security can be a 'pain').

EgyptAir allow an extra 5 kgs of hold-luggage, if you join their FF-programme pre-flight, and 8 kgs of carry-on (aot the standard 7 kgs).

Jet used to give 50 but now like kingfisher its down to 20 and Indian security is a nightmare. Egypt air have a poor safety record

Thank you all for your thoughts and today I learnt about exess baggage companies so that was a real bonus, still packing and at 22 kilos so will bear it all in mind.

Jet used to give 50 but now like kingfisher its down to 20 and Indian security is a nightmare. Egypt air have a poor safety record

EgyptAir's safety-problems are a fairly-long time ago, they were using new-ish B777-300s on LHR-CAI & CAI-BKK when I flew with them last month, and their planes parked-at-Cairo looked modern.

Kingfisher's web-site still says 32 kgs hold-luggage (for passengers LHR-BKK) , Jet-Airways' Service-Centre told me 35 kgs in an email a few months ago, so it might still be worth asking (and printing-out their response, in case of any hassle, at the check-in desk). Both say 7 kgs carry-on. I've only heard bad things about Indian-security.

Fly Thai Air and put about 20-25kg in your bag and smile a lot. They normally give some leeway.

Put the rest (and heavy stuff) in the allowable size case as hand baggage. Thai do not police your hand baggage, I see some people with 3 items and I have often taken more than 15kg as hand baggage. I do not understand why there is such an issue with hold baggage weight, they do not weigh the passengers.

I fly with various airlines 40-50 times a year, my experience with Thai, Eva and Emirates is that if you stay under 30kg's they normally don't care. 30kg seems to be the magic threshold, if you hit 32kg then you are officially oversize and will definitely be charged.

I flew from Cebu to Manila a few months ago with 105kgs, Philippine airlines charged me for every kilo over 15 (local flight), which cost around USD$ 1,600. Thai from Manila to BKK charged me a 'token' 30kgs, or 18,000 baht.

(Before flaming me this was very sensitive (read secret) equipment that we could not trust to the couriers).

I fly with various airlines 40-50 times a year, my experience with Thai, Eva and Emirates is that if you stay under 30kg's they normally don't care. 30kg seems to be the magic threshold, if you hit 32kg then you are officially oversize and will definitely be charged.

The official Emirates baggage allowance on the UK-Thailand flight is now 30kg in economy. Mind you they gave a bigger baggage allowance with one hand and took away the good frequent flyer mileage allowances with the other.

Largely depends on where you're flying from. Air Berlin offers "baggage upgrades" @ €50/5kg (if memory serves, but you can look that up on their website). Seeing as all flights go through Germany, you might be sitting on a short flight to the German hub first; no idea if the "baggage upgrade" applies to the entire trip (start to BKK), or if they're sneaky and charge per leg...

Another option that was offered by some airlines a few years ago (might have changed meanwhile -- inquire!) was pre-checkin-in for excess baggage (1 week or so), and you were charged a special tariff, not the 1%-of-1st-class-per-kilo.

Largely depends on where you're flying from. Air Berlin offers "baggage upgrades" @ €50/5kg (if memory serves, but you can look that up on their website). Seeing as all flights go through Germany, you might be sitting on a short flight to the German hub first; no idea if the "baggage upgrade" applies to the entire trip (start to BKK), or if they're sneaky and charge per leg...

Another option that was offered by some airlines a few years ago (might have changed meanwhile -- inquire!) was pre-checkin-in for excess baggage (1 week or so), and you were charged a special tariff, not the 1%-of-1st-class-per-kilo.

Don't know where you fly from, but Air Berlin offers 5kg @ €50, which is way less than the 1%-of-1st-class-per-kilo excess charge. I don't know if that charge is for the entire flight (i.e. short flight from outside Germany to the German hub, and from there to BKK), or if they're sneaky and charge per leg...

There used to be an option on some airlines to pre-check-in excess baggage ~1 week before the flight, and you got charged a more reasonable price.

Fly Thai Air and put about 20-25kg in your bag and smile a lot. They normally give some leeway.

Put the rest (and heavy stuff) in the allowable size case as hand baggage. Thai do not police your hand baggage, I see some people with 3 items and I have often taken more than 15kg as hand baggage. I do not understand why there is such an issue with hold baggage weight, they do not weigh the passengers.

The overhead luggage compartments are constructed for a certain maximum weight load. If all passengers using a specific load bay have overweight carry-on luggage, somewhere something may break. Especially if you hit bad weather during flight. And you would not want to sit under that if it does.