$10 A Night Hotel In Saigon

smokie36

Being the cheap charlie I am I need some recommendations please. I guess I could stretch to $15 if the place was really good but please give me some recommendations.

Any for Hoi An and Nha Trang also welcome.

Thanks for your help!

:)

apologies!!!!

not in Saigon..........

it's Hanoi..

take a taxi to Hang Bac Street. Don't take it from the bus station. they will Riff ya of.

there are a number of 'em!!!!!! around the area.

i forgot the name..if i can find their business card, i will tell you.

but don't worry .... you will find others maybe better. Some of 'em are really Oosing.. Have a quick look first before you make a decision.

I paid $6 nice room on the top floor.(Dorm) that was in last winter. no heater but it was not too cold.

Shared with my Swedish friend. Free Net.

Laundry service and restaurant downstairs.

hot shower but not for longer than 20 mins.

not very far from the place i stayed. A restaurant serves Dog meat... if you like

Edited by dunkin2012

apologies!!!!

not in Saigon..........

it's Hanoi..

take a taxi to Hang Bac Street. Don't take it from the bus station. they will Riff ya of.

there are a number of 'em!!!!!! around the area.

i forgot the name..if i can find their business card, i will tell you.

but don't worry .... you will find others maybe better. Some of 'em are really Oosing.. Have a quick look first before you make a decision.

I paid $6 nice room on the top floor.(Dorm) that was in last winter. no heater but it was not too cold.

Shared with my Swedish friend. Free Net.

Laundry service and restaurant downstairs.

hot shower but not for longer than 20 mins.

not very far from the place i stayed. A restaurant serves Dog meat... if you like

Thanks but we're in Hue now and heading south.....:rolleyes:

HELP please!!!!......:jap:

Someone please read my post.....:(

Come on Tutsi.....send me a PM....:whistling:

Please help....I'm skint.*...!!! :o

*=need to conserve my beer tokens. :)

tutsi (sniff) is not a backbacker (sniff) and does not (sniff) seek backpacker accommodation...I useta stay at the Hosen on Thi Sach in District One for about USD30 per night but the last time I wuz there the place had changed hands, unfriendly staff, etc...

right now I hang in Hanoi when I got time off as the job is on the pristine (but soon to be horribly polluted when our 1200MW coal fired power station project is in operation) north central coast in Ha Tinh province...check out Hanoi whydoncha, it gots lotsa dat colonial charm and I'm sure that there is 'budget' accommodation available...my usual place is a serviced flat with kitchenette @USD70 and dey gots a dining room wid free breakfast!

thanks for mentioning 'ol tutsi on this thread...I've always been employed when in VN on a western salary so can afford to splash out when I haveta pay for accommodation like when I go into town on my own nickel...over the TET holiday in Feb I even spent a couple of nights at the Melia in Hanoi @USD125 per and bought Melia bathrobes for me and the two girls that look after me back at the digs back in Ha Tinh (cleaner and 'concierge'); they were delighted :)

Maybe you can find them in backpackers' area..Pham Ngo Lau near the Ben Tanh market...do a google search..

I live in Saigon but can't recommend a hotel. You're right about the Pham Ngu Lau area but to mention Ben Tanh market is a bit misleading.

The area with most cheap hotels is around Pham Ngu Lau Street, De Tham Street and Bui Vien Street. It's known as the backpacker area for good reason. Cheap hotels, cheap food and cheap beer.

Hope that helps.

Have fun.

Maybe you can find them in backpackers' area..Pham Ngo Lau near the Ben Tanh market...do a google search..

I live in Saigon but can't recommend a hotel. You're right about the Pham Ngu Lau area but to mention Ben Tanh market is a bit misleading.

The area with most cheap hotels is around Pham Ngu Lau Street, De Tham Street and Bui Vien Street. It's known as the backpacker area for good reason. Cheap hotels, cheap food and cheap beer.

Hope that helps.

Have fun.

We'll check out Pham Ngu Lau. Thanks for your help everyone....except carmine of course.

@carmine....Sadly yes I'm travelling with a complete pikey.Should I escape to Danang and fly off to Saigon myself and book in a 5* [email protected] place is so expensive generally....food drinks travel....you can't be blamed for making a few savings here n there.

Smokie, last time I was in Vietnam was 1992, imagine its changed somewhat :rolleyes: so any hotel I could recommend might have put up their prices by now methinks. However you said VN was so expensive generally yet I've noted others on the forum saying it was cheaper than Thailand. So if you get the chance then give us the lowdown on it.

We used to have cyclo races in Saigon, buy a few bottles of Stolichnaya vodka at a couple of dollars a pop, hire a few cyclos and have a race over to our favourite bar, Apocalypse Now. As there was a prize of a few dollars for the winning rider they used to put considerable effort and ingenuity into it, diving off into small soi's at great pace much to the alarm and amusement of the residents and chickens. Very little vehicle traffic then.........reckon things have changed. :bah:

Edited by roamer

@carmine....Sadly yes I'm travelling with a complete pikey.Should I escape to Danang and fly off to Saigon myself and book in a 5* [email protected] place is so expensive generally....food drinks travel....you can't be blamed for making a few savings here n there.

Smokie, last time I was in Vietnam was 1992, imagine its changed somewhat :rolleyes: so any hotel I could recommend might have put up their prices by now methinks. However you said VN was so expensive generally yet I've noted others on the forum saying it was cheaper than Thailand. So if you get the chance then give us the lowdown on it.

We used to have cyclo races in Saigon, buy a few bottles of Stolichnaya vodka at a couple of dollars a pop, hire a few cyclos and have a race over to our favourite bar, Apocalypse Now. As there was a prize of a few dollars for the winning rider they used to put considerable effort and ingenuity into it, diving off into small soi's at great pace much to the alarm and amusement of the residents and chickens. Very little vehicle traffic then.........reckon things have changed. :bah:

cyclos?...yew dont don't need no cyclos; if you stay at the the Hosen on Thi Sach St (see above post) the Apocalypse Now bar is only a few drunken steps down the street...in 2006 there was an elegant older freelancer with a sheath dress, oh...when removed it was a small crumpled object on the floor and then I looked up at the unsheathed magnificent nakedness on display, oh...

the Hosen and Thi Sach St is convenient for the supermarket next to the big Kim Do hotel right by the down town roundabout and they got a guy on a motorbike to take you there to get cheap booze (check out Vodka Hanoi at VND72k and 'Vfresh' juices in litre cartons @ 33k) and snacks to hole up with yer 'guest' (no 'guest' problems at the Hosen) and to keep the party goin'...also some good restaurant eats nearby...the next street up they had shwarma (!) in 2006 and hummus and a passable arabic bread...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

At 10 USD you are fairly tight. Try a private room in a hostel. Google Hostelworld and take from there. Hue has some stuff in the 10 dollar range.

PIKEYS. :lol:

B)

Walked out of the hotel 10 mins ago and to my left is KFC and Tandoori resaurant. Across the car park is a chinese place on the corner.

Question is....where am I?

:D

Interesting predicament.

If nobody helps, what will OP do?

Im curious.

OP going on vacation without planning, just trying to find cheap places as he travels along?

When arriving Saigon, and still nobody helps.

Get down to the port, and stay at one of the "seaman's clubs".

;)

Interesting predicament.

Im curious.

OP going on vacation without planning, just trying to find cheap places as he travels along?

;)

It proved expensive....so we moved swiftly onwards and upwards....:)

Interesting predicament.

Im curious.

;)

Let us know how Rex Hotel was.

Interesting predicament.

Im curious.

;)

Let us know how Rex Hotel was.

when I was newly arrived in Saigon in 2006 I found meself on the rooftop bar of the Rex Hotel before they started to demolish half of the premises for new development...I was staying at the Norfolk 'round the corner on Le Thanh Ton...

the band was playing cha-cha-cha and then I noticed a woman sidling up with 'suggestive gestures'...I gasped as I believed that the communist police severely punished 'degenerate behavior'...however I discovered later that the Rex hotel was used as the quarters for US army officers during the 'american war' and that such behavior was commonplace...

lotta history has got the Rex hotel...

some months later, in post coital embrace with a Vung Tao BG I queried: 'shall the police chase us now for degenerate behavior?' and then she intoned from the Beach Boys: 'don't worry baby, everything is gonna be alright...'

ye gotta watch out, the 'american war' legacy endures for degenerates on the run...:o

Edited by tutsiwarrior