Cellphones Major Cause Of Accidents

george

Cellphones major cause of accidents

BANGKOK: -- A third of motorcyclists injured in road accidents admit to using mobile phones when riding their bikes, Public Health Minister Suchai Charoenratanakul said. About 600,000 motorcyclists were admitted to hospital last year, or more than 1,600 a day.

Half had not been wearing a crash helmet.

Motorcyclists made up the biggest number of road fatalities, averaging one death per hour among adults and 1.5 deaths per hour among children under 15.

New forms of risky behaviour, including talking on a mobile phone while riding a motorcycle, were blamed for many of the accidents.

This was particularly prevalent in the provinces of Ayutthaya, Chiang Rai, Nakhon Ratchasima and Songkhla, he said.

Other accident causes included speeding and riding on the wrong side of the road, he said.

--Bangkok Post 2005-10-10

Cell phones major cause of accidents

=================================

In the US, many cities are banning cell-use in automobiles, stating risky behavior and the cause of many accidents.

Not long ago while driving, I started scratching my nuts, and almost had a fender bender.

BUT here's where I draw the line, If my nuts itch, I'm scratching them, band or not.............DJM

and wearing flip-flops ! you cant control a vehicle in flip-flops .

You may not have the capacity to control a vehicle wearing flip-flops, but don't judge others on your weaknesses as I have never had an issue controlling a vehicle whilst wearing my preferred style of footwear in Thailand. The only problem I ever had was while crossing a deep stream on my notorbike when the current caught one of my flip-flops and took it downstream. That caused me to have to park my bike on the other side of the stream and hasten downstream back into the waters to retieve my footwear so as not to have to ride with one bare foot.

Just ban motorcycles.

Much simpler!!

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that there is some long-forgotten military junta edict from the 70's that already bans motorcycles. Maybe the powers-that-be can dust it off as they have with other obscure regulations, and order the customary crackdown? :o

BANGKOK: -- A third of motorcyclists injured in road accidents admit to using mobile phones when riding their bikes, Public Health Minister Suchai Charoenratanakul said. About 600,000 motorcyclists were admitted to hospital last year, or more than 1,600 a day.

Half had not been wearing a crash helmet.

Motorcyclists made up the biggest number of road fatalities, averaging one death per hour among adults and 1.5 deaths per hour among children under 15.

New forms of risky behaviour, including talking on a mobile phone while riding a motorcycle, were blamed for many of the accidents.

This was particularly prevalent in the provinces of Ayutthaya, Chiang Rai, Nakhon Ratchasima and Songkhla, he said.

Other accident causes included speeding and riding on the wrong side of the road, he said.

--Bangkok Post 2005-10-10

Som nam na :o

and wearing flip-flops ! you cant control a vehicle in flip-flops .

I've ridden Harley's in flip flops. (not a long way though) :D

In the US, many cities are banning cell-use in automobiles, stating  risky behavior and the cause of many accidents. 

What an exiting country that must be, where every city, every little town and village, can promulgate its own traffic laws and regulations!

what about the old forms of risky behaviour ie carrying bulky objects in one arm whilst riding like the groceries or laundry etc etc and with 2 or more passengers dont help either...probably why the deaths are so high

the police dont even bat an eyelid.

Now when I'm driving my car I actually want to see motorcyclists get smashed. No respect for 'em. What sort of person have I become?

Yes, sad but true, I share your sentiments. I haven't been on the back of a moto taxi for a decade in Bkk. ever since one of the geeks dumped me on the pavement as he was making a sharp turn at too high speed on a wet road. :o Now when talk turns to Bkk. traffic adventures, I must admit I take great pleasure in relating at length and in morbid detail the best accident I ever saw, in which a moto nutcase was wiped out due to his own reckless driving.

It seems to me that most Bkk. drivers are actually OK. However, the lunatic fringe are allowed to go on their merry way, endangering themselves and many others near them. A typical lunatic moto driver will be going the wrong way, on the wrong side of the road, without a helmet, looking about 14 and probably unlicensed. He will be smoking a cigarette, wearing flip-flops, with one hand on the accelerator while the other holds his cell phone plastered to his ear, while on the back of his bike are two or three canisters of cooking gas. This tragi-comedy of errors would not get far in most civilized countries. In Bkk., it's normal.

While out riding the other day I looked over to my left and there was a Thai woman in a brand new Mitsu Triton doing 120 kms per hour looking in her rear view mirror putting on her eyeshadow!

I looked away for a couple seconds and when I looked back she was halfway over in my lane, still working on that makeup!!!

It scared the schit out of me so bad that I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the donut out of my other hand.

In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the bike using my knees against the handle bar, it knocked my mobile away from my ear which fell into the coffee between my legs, splashed and burned Big Willy and the Twins, ruined the bloody phone and DISCONNECTED AN IMPORTANT CALL!!!!!!

Bloody Thai drivers.... :o

:D

Edited by Gazza

In the US, many cities are banning cell-use in automobiles, stating  risky behavior and the cause of many accidents. 

A few years ago in Singapore, a motorist who was talking on the phone ran into a bus shelter, killing and maiming many people. As a result they have passed a law requiring drivers to use a handsfree wire with their cellphones when they are driving.

I think this is a great idea.

In Thailand's case, think of all the extra tea money it could raise! :o