Yet Another Power Cut

So here we are on our third power cut this week. Yesterday and today both at approx 3 pm. Does anyone know what is going on? I have heard at least three different rumours

So what are the rumours.

Bangrak Ghost Road was out too for 2 hours. Second time this week. Can't comment on how this compares with say last week. I only moved in the day before yesterday!:rolleyes:

Im in the same part of town. Same as OP in Plai Lem, its been off at my place at about 3pm every day this week for aprox 2 hours.

Id assume they are switching it off at source so that they can power all those lovely big empty resorts down on Chaweng Beach,

It's very bad at the moment, various power cuts during the daytime which affects being able to work and in the evenings it affects being able to complete watching movies on UBC!

This is the worst sequence in power cuts since various years.

So here we are on our third power cut this week. Yesterday and today both at approx 3 pm. Does anyone know what is going on? I have heard at least three different rumours

So what are the rumours.

1 Planned power cuts so that the hotels are OK (Supposed to be last December)

2 2 of the cables from Suratthani are damaged (2 out of 3?)

3 The elec board want to put overhead cables to Maenam. Local landowners do not want the cables/pylons on their land. So the elec board switch off the power to hiss eveyone off and when we all compalin they say "Don't blame us - it's the landowners! Blame them."

So what are the rumours.

carmine aint paid his bill (yet again)

Sad little pikey that he is....:D

So what are the rumours.

1 out of the 3 lines into Samui are damaged, work to continue until at least September.

Several hotels in each area (incl. Four Season etc.) will be asked by SMS to Chief Engineer to switch over to generator as soon as overall supply runs low.

Once supply is normal again, hotels switch back to power supply and diesel cost for the hours used will be reimbursed by Tessaban.

All sounds logical, but seemingly not enough as othwerwise we wouldn't have this thread.

The original concept of rolling power cuts, was because one line was down & the contractor who installed it didn't want to repair it.

I since heard that a secondary line is also non operable,that would be more in line as to explain the cuts we have been having over the past few weeks.

The original concept of rolling power cuts, was because one line was down & the contractor who installed it didn't want to repair it.

I since heard that a secondary line is also non operable,that would be more in line as to explain the cuts we have been having over the past few weeks.

Could well be, I just tell what I hear, whether its true is questionable, but then again, will we ever know?

Summary (third hand) of hotel staff member's report to management after meeting with electric company:

Damaged power cable too expensive to fix

Have to wait for Billion baht allocation for new cable

Expect more rolling blackouts <_<

I recall an article in one of the local English language newspapers talking about a damaged cable (one of three?) that had been repaired and failed again. Said the company involved was being sued by the government and didn't want to attempt another repair, as I recall. Anybody have that info handy to check what it said?

Summary (third hand) of hotel staff member's report to management after meeting with electric company:

Damaged power cable too expensive to fix

Have to wait for Billion baht allocation for new cable

Expect more rolling blackouts <_<

I recall an article in one of the local English language newspapers talking about a damaged cable (one of three?) that had been repaired and failed again. Said the company involved was being sued by the government and didn't want to attempt another repair, as I recall. Anybody have that info handy to check what it said?

Blackouts : http://thesamuigazette.com/edition10/index.html

New Electric Poles : http://thesamuigazette.com/edition11/index.html

The elasoplast that holds together the main electrical system has rotted away and all the pharmacies are out of plasters to repair it.

The second option is chewing gum.

Chewing gum eh? Never miss a business opportunity do ya?

A bit of kitchen foil and some masking tape should do the trick in the meantime.

Third world island first world prices,,,,and some.

Anyway.....:D

The elasoplast that holds together the main electrical system has rotted away and all the pharmacies are out of plasters to repair it.

The second option is chewing gum.

Chewing gum eh? Never miss a business opportunity do ya?

A bit of kitchen foil and some masking tape should do the trick in the meantime.

Third world island first world prices,,,,and some.

Anyway.....:D

they would/nt allocate the budget to buy tinfoil.

I would add that having to live with the "performance" of the islands electric system makes me wonder if any of them are even trained to rewire a plug.

I'm in the Bond Gai (Kai) Rd. Power cuts are occurring very frequently recently. I've noticed it usually happens before the rain and wind or after. Sometimes the long-time failure is preceded by one of two 2 second ones. That would suggest the fault is related to short circuit somewhere. It looks like the fuse goes off eventually and cuts the power to the whole Chaweng beach area. The technicians then come in and switch the fuse on back again. But never repair or find the cause of the short-circuit that happens again and again. Some power cuts also happen on good weather days like yesterday. They may have something to do with the power being purposely off for the repairs to take place or some other reason. "Some other reason" seems to be more likely as the "repairs' don't ever seem to improve the situation. Absolutely hopeless and useless installation and whoever runs it.

• 6 months later...

Power went off where we are in Plai Laem dead on 1 pm.

Is this the dreaded rolling power cuts???

dead also at soi bond kai bangrak at the same time, the rolling power cuts were supposed to be only for 15 minutes.

so either is a maintenance somewhere on the lines or they are installing new public lights for the road as they did at soi bond kai last week or something broken somewhere...