Leelawadee Trees

lanna2011

It's rust fungus. Lots of info if you do a search for "frangipani rust fungus"

It doesn't seem to kill the trees and some years is worse than others. I have had none on my trees this year but lots last year. Make sure you pick up the dead leaves and put in the trash in a bag, so the spores can't spread.

A very common disease on frangapani, and mine are just starting to show signs. Best treated with "Mancozeb" or equivalent fungicide sprayed onto the leaves also the ground around the trunk.

Depending how big your tree is. you can use a sponge soaked in Mancozeb on the underside of the leaves. Get rid of the old leaves that are well diseased in the rubbish.

right thanks... my trees are HUGE so not sure what to do - I'll try and get some of that chemical - Big C? Carrefour?

Better late than never !

I doubt you'll find it at a supermarket. The place I go is a few paces past The Queen Victoria Pub at the northern end of Phra Pokklao. They've been closed for a few days recently though. Don't know why; hope its just a holiday.

They don't speak a word of English but would probably recognize the name of the chemical.They are helpful and would likely interpret the correct dosage for you as that would all be written in Thai.There is at least one stall selling chemicals at Kamphieng Market but they are quite clueless.

right thanks... my trees are HUGE so not sure what to do - I'll try and get some of that chemical - Big C? Carrefour?

Better late than never !

I doubt you'll find it at a supermarket. The place I go is a few paces past The Queen Victoria Pub at the northern end of Phra Pokklao. They've been closed for a few days recently though. Don't know why; hope its just a holiday.

They don't speak a word of English but would probably recognize the name of the chemical.They are helpful and would likely interpret the correct dosage for you as that would all be written in Thai.There is at least one stall selling chemicals at Kamphieng Market but they are quite clueless.

I buy stuff at the chemical shop at Kamthieng Market all the time and find them to be very helpful and knowledgeable.

You will need to buy a pressurized sprayer and spray the leaves from a distance or stand on a ladder and spray.

Better late than never !

I buy stuff at the chemical shop at Kamthieng Market all the time and find them to be very helpful and knowledgeable.

You will need to buy a pressurized sprayer and spray the leaves from a distance or stand on a ladder and spray.

Or,failing that,buy a systemic fungicide, water well into the roots of the tree (at the correct dosage) and let the tree do the work.

Or,failing that,buy a systemic fungicide, water well into the roots of the tree (at the correct dosage) and let the tree do the work.

I'd better add that I'm no expert and it maybe that a systemic fungicide is not appropiate for this disease. But spraying a large tree sounds problematic to me. I wouldn't attempt it. You need to do some digging around for more information I think.

thanks everyone - and leaving it to nature? will the tree fight it and survive?

The trees will get quite sick and not have have leaves or flowers for some time. Also, the fungus will spread to other nearby plants and trees in your garden. Before I knew what it was and how to treat it (thanks to Maejo Man) our trees did survive, but some other healthy plants nearby got the disease and eventually died.