We Don't Need Another Round Of Illegal Killings; War On Drugs

webfact

EDITORIAL

We don't need another round of illegal killings

By The Nation

Globally, it's now accepted that the 'war on drugs' has failed; Thai politicians should heed this and work instead at eradicating causes of abuse

Riding on the fear among the voters, party after party is declaring war on drugs and other evils in society, while one in particular has vowed to declare victory on its "war on drugs" within 12 months.

Nowhere is this message louder than in the Pheu Thai Party camp, where the de facto leader, fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra, declared from abroad that within a year Thailand would be free of its drug problem.

But we have heard this before, haven't we? And judging from his three-month "war on drugs" in 2003 - a period during which about 2,500 people became alleged victims of extrajudicial killings - another round of killings would put Thailand even further into the human rights spotlight.

People said a coup against an elected government was a setback for the democratisation process. But isn't killing so many citizens in such a short time frame also a big step back from a civil society where justice, rules, regulations, social norms, sense of fair play and due process are supposed to be upheld?

The fact that Thaksin's war on drugs in 2003 was popular doesn't make it right. If anything, it reflects the weakness in this society. The tendency to go for something drastic, regardless of how controversial or illegal it may be, reflects poorly on us as a nation.

Drugs, like many other ills, are a social problem, not a criminal problem. Drug dealing and abuse stem from many factors. From peer pressure to lack of opportunities and unemployment, the very fact that people turn to illicit drugs is a testimony to the fact that they feel they have nothing to lose or that they don't have much to live for.

Instead of hunting them down and killing them, why not tell them that our elected leaders will give them a reason to live? We shouldn't be talking about false hope here. Candidates need to be straight with their constituents instead of making far-fetched promises without talking about consequences.

Yes, all of us want an equitable society. But are we willing to go as far as paying 40-to-50-per-cent taxes as in some European countries in exchange for social services from the state? The answer is very likely no, or else politicians would be making this their party platform.

The problem here is that we don't trust our elected leaders to deliver on promises, but we elect them anyway. If we want better governance, we are going to have to make them accountable for their actions and stop going for quick and short-sighted solutions to our problems.

Thaksin also talked about taking the drug case to Thailand's neighbours. He said that back in 2001, but the Burmese government told him that Thailand's social ills were not Burma's problem.

And instead of getting the Burmese at least to take action on the drug-production side - namely putting pressure on opium warlords and drug armies like the United Wa State Army - Thaksin did more to help whitewash these drug outfits than curbing the supply of illicit substances coming out of their laboratories along the border.

Remember the bogus Yong Kha Crop Substitution Project in the Wa-controlled area that the Thaksin administration was suckered into giving Bt20 million seed money to while the rest of the world shunned it because they saw through it?

For Thaksin, good relations with Burma were good for his family business. Remember the Bt4-billion loan the Thaksin administration made to the military government in Rangoon to purchase satellite services sold by Thaksin's family-owned communications businesses?

Funny thing was that the money came from the US. Folks in Washington said they didn't know that Thaksin was going to use it for Burma because it was a violation of the sanctions the US has put on the military regime.

Thaksin has a track record of going to any lengths to do anything to benefit himself. For him, what's good for him is good for Thailand. And now his party is making all kinds of promises - the same ones Thaksin used to make - and doing it in his name.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-04

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Riding on the fear among the voters, party after party is declaring war on drugs and other evils in society, while one in particular has vowed to declare victory on its "war on drugs" within 12 months.

If you ever needed proof that politicians are liars who will say anything to get what they want, here you are.

I never understood Nixon's phrase war on drugs. It's like saying your going to have a war on an inanamit object. What he really said was that they were going to have a war with their own people that do drugs. We all know what happens when governments have wars with their own people.

If you ever needed proof that politicians are liars who will say anything to get what they want, here you are.

"Drugs, like many other ills, are a social problem, not a criminal problem. Drug dealing and abuse stem from many factors. From peer pressure to lack of opportunities and unemployment, the very fact that people turn to illicit drugs is a testimony to the fact that they feel they have nothing to lose or that they don't have much to live for."

If drugs are a social problem, why then does drug trafficking attract the death penalty?

While I do not want to see a repeat of the alleged extra judicial killings, this article misses the point that drugs ARE a serious problem in this country and that people want something done about it quickly. The perception of many Thais I have spoken to is that the the problem has been getting worse since the coup.

The author also ignores the fact that people sell drugs to make money - to profit from the misery and death of others. It is said by the locals in my village that it is now easier to buy drugs than to buy paracetamol. The villagers know who the local sellers are, but feel powerless to do anything about it because the local sellers are believed to be supplied by and receive protection from certain members of Thailand's Finest. Cold comfort for the family of the 16 year old local boy who died from drugs just weeks after finishing school last term. The drug dealers gave him nothing to live for.

"Drugs, like many other ills, are a social problem, not a criminal problem. Drug dealing and abuse stem from many factors. From peer pressure to lack of opportunities and unemployment, the very fact that people turn to illicit drugs is a testimony to the fact that they feel they have nothing to lose or that they don't have much to live for."

If drugs are a social problem, why then does drug trafficking attract the death penalty?

While I do not want to see a repeat of the alleged extra judicial killings, this article misses the point that drugs ARE a serious problem in this country and that people want something done about it quickly. The perception of many Thais I have spoken to is that the the problem has been getting worse since the coup.

The author also ignores the fact that people sell drugs to make money - to profit from the misery and death of others. It is said by the locals in my village that it is now easier to buy drugs than to buy paracetamol. The villagers know who the local sellers are, but feel powerless to do anything about it because the local sellers are believed to be supplied by and receive protection from certain members of Thailand's Finest. Cold comfort for the family of the 16 year old local boy who died from drugs just weeks after finishing school last term. The drug dealers gave him nothing to live for.

Sorry, but it's simplistic thinking like yours that perpetuates the failed "War" and causes politicians to play to your fears.

The death penalty for drug trafficking is an abomination and shows how far some will go to appear to be holier than thou. Whiskey is as available as paracetamol in my village. What does that prove? People sell drugs to make money. Quelle surprise! People sell all sorts of products to make money. That's because the people want those products. The marketplace is not immoral, it is amoral.

The perception that current policies are not/ will never work, is growing worldwide, as the article states.

As one poster above states correctly, the "War on Drugs" is actually a Civil War between members of the same society.

Sorry, but it's simplistic thinking like yours that perpetuates the failed "War" and causes politicians to play to your fears.

The death penalty for drug trafficking is an abomination and shows how far some will go to appear to be holier than thou. Whiskey is as available as paracetamol in my village. What does that prove? People sell drugs to make money. Quelle surprise! People sell all sorts of products to make money. That's because the people want those products. The marketplace is not immoral, it is amoral.

The perception that current policies are not/ will never work, is growing worldwide, as the article states.

As one poster above states correctly, the "War on Drugs" is actually a Civil War between members of the same society.

What is your solution to the problem?

Remember the bogus Yong Kha Crop Substitution Project in the Wa-controlled area that the Thaksin administration was suckered into giving Bt20 million seed money to while the rest of the world shunned it because they saw through it?

For Thaksin, good relations with Burma were good for his family business. Remember the Bt4-billion loan the Thaksin administration made to the military government in Rangoon to purchase satellite services sold by Thaksin's family-owned communications businesses?

That's an affirmative for remembering both.

That's but one part of the sad legacy of Thaksin's murderous War on Drugs. It wasn't even about restricting drug usage.

What is your solution to the problem?

Legalize. Prohibition is a failed policy.

Regulate. Ensure consumer safety as to purity/content.

Educate. The People are not idiots but evermore educated.

Tax. Turn the budget drain into a positive revenue.

Research. More funds available for addiction research. Applicable to drugs, alcohol, overeating etc.

Stop. Demonizing a large percentage of your fellow citizens. ( friends,neighbors,relatives..)

Basically all that was said by high-level Commission on Drugs supported by among others former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, Sir Richard Branson, former US Secretary of State George Schulz, former President of Mexico and Brazil etc. Political figures no longer constrained from stating their personal conclusions.

It's good to see someone who really understand the problem.

The eldest brother of a girl at my office used to be a drug addict. Then he got AIDS. He gave AIDS to his wife. Now both are dead and the girl has to take care of their two teenage daughters, the oldest one with serious psychological problems linked to her parents death. I know a number of posters here like to smoke weeds (an explanation for a number of dumb posts ?) and see their life style in danger if the government goes after their beloved dealers. But here we are talking about different drugs, synthetic drugs like Yabaa (Ice) that drive people crazy, destroy families, ruins entire villages in the country side. 1,000 dealers dead is probably more than 10,000 lives saved.

When, for political reason, people start protecting drug dealers, then we should realize something is getting really wrong.

Edited by JurgenG

There are many sad stories in this world, to be sure. To make the leap in logic you have made, JurgenG, is a leap too far.

Would the extra-judicial deaths of 10,000 mom-and-pop sellers of alcohol/tobacco save the lives of 100,000 consumers of those products? Is that what you are saying?

Why stop there? Perhaps a series of assassinations of CEOs and major shareholders of the companies that produce the alcohol and cigarettes?

This is the logic you are proposing...

That's an affirmative for remembering both.

That's but one part of the sad legacy of Thaksin's murderous War on Drugs. It wasn't even about restricting drug usage.

In my rural part of Thailand (Burmese border) the "war on drugs" was successful. The amphoe was "clean". Why? Thaksins cronies took over the drug business and invested in Bangkok area, more profit than in a poor district.

The number of drug addicted people in Big Bangkok grew significantly in this time.

I read statistics from international organisations about this (WHO and others) but I cannot quote correcly.

Buchholz as master of Databank can help me, I hope, to to give correct information.

The eldest brother of a girl at my office used to be a drug addict. Then he got AIDS. He gave AIDS to his wife. Now both are dead and the girl has to take care of their two teenage daughters, the oldest one with serious psychological problems linked to her parents death. I know a number of posters here like to smoke weeds (an explanation for a number of dumb posts ?) and see their life style in danger if the government goes after their beloved dealers. But here we are talking about different drugs, synthetic drugs like Yabaa (Ice) that drive people crazy, destroy families, ruins entire villages in the country side. 1,000 dealers dead is probably more than 10,000 lives saved.

When, for political reason, people start protecting drug dealers, then we should realize something is getting really wrong.

i think that what we need to do is to ligalize marihuana and you will see that the comuption rate of all the others druhs is going to decrease, i remember that when i went t the neteherlands once i watched a TV program and they explained that since the legalization of the weed the comsuption of all the other drugs has decreased in a 7% more or less, and also they should decremenalize all the other drugs, cuz drugs comsumtion is a health proble not a legal or political problem, but anyways i don't think that Thai politicians are going to pay any attention to these so, and regarding to what you said about yabaa, can you tell me how many deads dos alcohol provoque per year?how many life alcohol destroy per year?:(

A lot of red militants has been paid with yaba to fight for "democracy" in Bangkok last year.

A lot of red militants has been paid with yaba to fight for "democracy" in Bangkok last year.

Bullsh*t. You cannot back up your claim.

I can however bring to your attention that redshirt protestors who were arrested were usually tested for drug consumption. The motive was twofold; 1. It is not unusual for the police to drug test detainees and 2) The authorities were looking for drugs.

Redshirts that tested positive would have gone to jail. If any protestors had been caught with yaba, a very public display would have been made.There weren't any such arrests for drugs were there?

Although I find this statement perfectly believable, I would provide some evidence before making it... Source please?

Legalize. Prohibition is a failed policy.Regulate. Ensure consumer safety as to purity/content.Educate. The People are not idiots but evermore educated. Tax. Turn the budget drain into a positive revenue.Research. More funds available for addiction research. Applicable to drugs, alcohol, overeating etc.Stop. Demonizing a large percentage of your fellow citizens. ( friends,neighbors,relatives..)Basically all that was said by high-level Commission on Drugs supported by among others former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, Sir Richard Branson, former US Secretary of State George Schulz, former President of Mexico and Brazil etc. Political figures no longer constrained from stating their personal conclusions.
I have to say that this is most likely the best ever post in TV forum, I could not agree more with the Legalize > Regulate > Educate > Tax > Research > Stop policy. I think its wildly known that this is the best solution to the drug problem, but still some governments even in West hesitates.

Bullsh*t. You cannot back up your claim.

I can however bring to your attention that redshirt protestors who were arrested were usually tested for drug consumption. The motive was twofold; 1. It is not unusual for the police to drug test detainees and 2) The authorities were looking for drugs.

Redshirts that tested positive would have gone to jail. If any protestors had been caught with yaba, a very public display would have been made.There weren't any such arrests for drugs were there?

right. the arrested ones.

[

iding on the fear among the voters, party after party is declaring war on drugs and other evils in society, while one in particular has vowed to declare victory on its "war on drugs" within 12 months.

Although I find this statement perfectly believable, I would provide some evidence before making it... Source please?

I posted already for more information.. I wait. But look to thre rocket launchers with her babies. (AL Jaseera footing), it's not lao Khao, it's yaba.. The German Army overwhelmed Poland whith Ice

A friend of my village (my patient )was last year in Bangkok (500 Baht a day, ID card confiscated), He wanted to go home as he saw the Big Party no more worked Stay two days more, we need fighers for democracy was the answer..

And we have something to make you strong to fight..

Sorry, I make extrapolition. But there were other comments in TVF going in the same way.

Legalize. Prohibition is a failed policy.Regulate. Ensure consumer safety as to purity/content.Educate. The People are not idiots but evermore educated. Tax. Turn the budget drain into a positive revenue.Research. More funds available for addiction research. Applicable to drugs, alcohol, overeating etc.Stop. Demonizing a large percentage of your fellow citizens. ( friends,neighbors,relatives..)Basically all that was said by high-level Commission on Drugs supported by among others former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, Sir Richard Branson, former US Secretary of State George Schulz, former President of Mexico and Brazil etc. Political figures no longer constrained from stating their personal conclusions.
I have to say that this is most likely the best ever post in TV forum, I could not agree more with the Legalize > Regulate > Educate > Tax > Research > Stop policy. I think its wildly known that this is the best solution to the drug problem, but still some governments even in West hesitates.

I will answer bobbin in post 10 first, as for some reason TV limits the number of block quotes that can be responded to.

I do thank bobbin for his response. However, these same arguments have been around for more than 40 years - ever since the days of the hippies. I even used them myself back then even though I have never used any illegal drugs, but I am now older and wiser. Many countries have poured large amounts of (tax payers)money into drug education programs, rehabilitation programs and narcotic related medical research. Yet,I cannot think of any country that has legalized narcotics, or that regulates their production to, as you put it, ensure consumer safety as to purity/content, or that taxes such products. There is a reason for that. They are harmful and cause misery to individual and communities. Even Sir Richard Branson, one of the worthy people you mention, acknowledged this.

I take it that, bobbin, you are a realist. If so, then, as you wrote it, I am sure you must have realized that your solution is not going to happen in this country. There is no political will from any of the parties to adopt the approach you set out. There is even less political will to put in place and finance by taxation the social and support structures needed. Thailand is going to tackle this problem its own way - a way, I hope, that is more sophisticated at all levels than a crude "war on drugs" and that is not extra judicial.

Now,OzziJarvinen, you are naive to think that governments in the West or elsewhere are hesitating or maybe just naive. Many Countries have a dual approach to tackling the problem of drug addiction.

The first part is having robust policies, procedures and laws to prevent drug trafficking and possession of drugs with the intent to supply others, which are enforced, while at the same time diverting from the criminal justice system those who only have a small amount of the less harmful narcotics for their personal use. The second part is a network of drug rehabilitation and counseling centres to help addicts break their habit. This has the added benefit of helping reduce crime as many crimes are committed by addicts in an attempt to finance their habit.

If you want to legalize narcotics - buy an island and go and live on it, but be prepared to live with the consequences.

Isn't that like saying "If adultery is just a social problem, then why do they stone women who commit it?"

umm... ignorance?

Too bad for the eldest brother of the girl at your office that drugs are illegal! Maybe he could have gotten help if they were not.

You do not need to go over and over and over about drugs can hurt people. We know that. But making them illegal only adds to the problem. Do not protect me from myself, thank you.

The war on drugs creates crime. As the original poster claimed, "It is said by the locals in my village that it is now easier to buy drugs than to buy paracetamol." Why is that? Because paracetamol is legal and companies selling a legal products do it legitimately. Drug dealers fill a demand for drugs with no scruples or concern. Drug dealers are a result of the war on drugs. If no one can buy drugs legally, then they do it illegally.

When I was a kid back in the state I could always find drugs, but I had a much harder time buying alcohol. My local 7-11 did not want to lose its liquor license, but the local drug dealers would sell to a 10 year old.

Not to mention all the other services drug addicts do not receive with this insane smash them with a hammer attitude.

Humans a smart enough to take care of themselves. Being healthy, happy and fit is not a derivative of any law passed by any government. It is a common sense that most people have. Anyone who is foolish enough to destroy their lives over drugs will be that foolish with or without a law telling them not to destroy their lives.

This article illustrates that not just drug dealers take advantage of the war on drugs. The war on drugs perpetuates over extensive government control over the population in addition creating crime where there does not need to be any.

Edited by wlcart

I remember clearly at the time when Thaksin was executing drug dealer he had the support of the majority of the Thai's. One should take an informal poll with your thai friends and I think you will find they want the death penalty back for drug dealers.

The moral debate is a mute point. Thai society has the right to take whatever action they want when dealing with drug dealers, just as Singapore has.

Too bad for the eldest brother of the girl at your office that drugs are illegal! Maybe he could have gotten help if they were not.

You do not need to go over and over and over about drugs can hurt people. We know that. But making them illegal only adds to the problem. Do not protect me from myself, thank you.

The war on drugs creates crime. As the original poster claimed, "It is said by the locals in my village that it is now easier to buy drugs than to buy paracetamol." Why is that? Because paracetamol is legal and companies selling a legal products do it legitimately. Drug dealers fill a demand for drugs with no scruples or concern. Drug dealers are a result of the war on drugs. If no one can buy drugs legally, then they do it illegally.

When I was a kid back in the state I could always find drugs, but I had a much harder time buying alcohol. My local 7-11 did not want to lose its liquor license, but the local drug dealers would sell to a 10 year old.

Not to mention all the other services drug addicts do not receive with this insane smash them with a hammer attitude.

Humans a smart enough to take care of themselves. Being healthy, happy and fit is not a derivative of any law passed by any government. It is a common sense that most people have. Anyone who is foolish enough to destroy their lives over drugs will be that foolish with or without a law telling them not to destroy their lives.

This article illustrates that not just drug dealers take advantage of the war on drugs. The war on drugs perpetuates over extensive government control over the population in addition creating crime where there does not need to be any.

So you took drugs at the age of 10. The result we see now.

This is a perfect example of the daily "anti-Thaksin" articles by The Nation. Many readers are getting sick of it and are switching to "the other newspaper". I wonder when those in charge of The Nation will notice it.

In reality, it's an article that discusses every party is offering some form of initiatives to combat drug abuse.

That it mentions Thaksin's preposterous notion to eradicate all drugs in 12 months and also mentions his failed Drug War of the past are simply stating the realities of his party's version of how to deal with the issue.

In essence, you are complaining about a factual and reality-based article.... an anti-reality fan are you?

Edited by Buchholz