Canceled Work Permits

I left my last permitted job over a year ago. I just left and never did nything with the WP. Was I suppose to?

What happens when I go get another job that issues WPs? Do I need to "clean-up" the work permit? The WP was not issued in Bangkok and there was never any news at that local that any thing had to be done.

My visa is current.

Any comments, suggetions?

Tnks

Where is the blue work permit booklet now?

If it was turned in by the employer, you have no problem.

If you still have the booklet - and if your entry permit was an extened one based on that work permit - and if you left that job a long time ago - then you potentially have many problems - and could be facing both labor department fines, and immigration overstay fines.

When the application for a work pernmit is filed, it has a section in which you must list prior work permits held - by WP number, employer, and dates of employment.

Good luck!

Indo-Siam

My pasport stamps are current. I have not overstayed.

My permit was valid for one year. Then it expired. Why the potential fines? I haven't tried to use the permit. The permit is only good at one school, in one province.

On the back page it states clearly that the maximum fine is 1000 baht.

What's the problem?

At one point I was a dirt poor, underpaid, destitute, poverty-stricken, impoverished, beggared, pauperized, indigent, needy, bad off, strapped, hard up, finantially embarassed, etc., etc, etc,... teacher. I quit because I wasn't making any money. I didn't return the Work Permit to the Work Permit office because I couldn't afford 10 baht (each way) for a Song Tow.

Anyway, I had LOTS of problems when I applied for a new work permit for my present job (where I actually make decent living :o ).

Whatever you do, make sure that you return that work permit to the work permit office!