A Positive Experience With The Police!

cnxnicolas

Try Gary at AA insurance,he does a non deductible insurance,great rates!! 0848058815

I would agree with 'Beetlejuice' offering to pay 500baht, it would more than cover the cost of some doggy old flower pot, (he didnock it over and smash it) So pay up. I would too make it clear I wouldn't payany more.

I would not however get in my car and drive off, as afarang you're always on a back foot and in the picture for a 'pay-day' I feelby driving off you are setting yourself up for a bigger problem.

There seems to be people who are confused about the OPcalling his insurer, intimating, 'it's only a flower pot'……..1stclass, (fully comp) in Thailand carries one fantastic attribute that UKinsurance, (for example) does not, in Thailand if you have 1st classinsurance any, and I mean any ding, dent, scratch, bump, knock, basically any possibleclam to you while in your vehicle, you can get the insurance company involved,just phone them….and they turn up, within the hour.

So, why would you get your insurance company involved….Firstly, it will more than level the playing field anda lot of the time, any ass-wipes trying to rip you off will melt away when theyknow your Thai insurance company is on its way. Once at your side, they willkick ass, and <deleted>*k anyone off who is not involved, they know the law betterthan the BIB. Fact is, you don't pay anything, and you can bet your insurancecompany doesn't want to pay either.

The OP did say the pot was encroaching on the road! Youcould find getting your insurance company involved, could get YOU a payout fordamages to your vehicle. If you have ever seen these insurance guys work, youwould know what I mean.

Lastly, the comment about your next year's insurance premiumsbeing high, sorry………wrong!

I think you will however (check the small print in Thai) find that your class 1 insurance also usually comes with an "excess" - i.e. you will probably have to pay the first 20K, 30K or 50K when making a claim, so I doubt they are going to pay for a 500 Baht pot, which can be picked up in San Patong for under 200!

You have missed the point completely! If you have first class insurance, and you involved with a claim against you…………They will sent someone out, and regardless they, (your insurance company) will fight your corner……….Where did I say the insurance co would pay 500? The 500 Baht was mentioned in my fist post as a way to end the whole thing and avoid calling the insurance company! But, if they want to push their hand, and go for 'pay-dirt'…..Then it's nice to be able to push back!

As for paying the first 20, 30…50K of a claim, sorry I don't know what policy you got, the farang special? If you paying this sort of dosh, I suggest you find a better insurance company, I don't pay this………as a matter of fact, I pay 20K this first year for near new pick-up.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with 'Beetlejuice' offering to pay 500baht, it would more than cover the cost of some doggy old flower pot, (he didnock it over and smash it) So pay up. I would too make it clear I wouldn't payany more.

I would not however get in my car and drive off, as afarang you're always on a back foot and in the picture for a 'pay-day' I feelby driving off you are setting yourself up for a bigger problem.

There seems to be people who are confused about the OPcalling his insurer, intimating, 'it's only a flower pot'……..1stclass, (fully comp) in Thailand carries one fantastic attribute that UKinsurance, (for example) does not, in Thailand if you have 1st classinsurance any, and I mean any ding, dent, scratch, bump, knock, basically any possibleclam to you while in your vehicle, you can get the insurance company involved,just phone them….and they turn up, within the hour.

So, why would you get your insurance company involved….Firstly, it will more than level the playing field anda lot of the time, any ass-wipes trying to rip you off will melt away when theyknow your Thai insurance company is on its way. Once at your side, they willkick ass, and <deleted>*k anyone off who is not involved, they know the law betterthan the BIB. Fact is, you don't pay anything, and you can bet your insurancecompany doesn't want to pay either.

The OP did say the pot was encroaching on the road! Youcould find getting your insurance company involved, could get YOU a payout fordamages to your vehicle. If you have ever seen these insurance guys work, youwould know what I mean.

Lastly, the comment about your next year's insurance premiumsbeing high, sorry………wrong!

I think you will however (check the small print in Thai) find that your class 1 insurance also usually comes with an "excess" - i.e. you will probably have to pay the first 20K, 30K or 50K when making a claim, so I doubt they are going to pay for a 500 Baht pot, which can be picked up in San Patong for under 200!

You have missed the point completely! If you have first class insurance, and you involved with a claim against you…………They will sent someone out, and regardless they, (your insurance company) will fight your corner……….Where did I say the insurance co would pay 500? The 500 Baht was mentioned in my fist post as a way to end the whole thing and avoid calling the insurance company! But, if they want to push their hand, and go for 'pay-dirt'…..Then it's nice to be able to push back!

As for paying the first 20, 30…50K of a claim, sorry I don't know what policy you got, the farang special? If you paying this sort of dosh, I suggest you find a better insurance company, I don't pay this………as a matter of fact, I pay 20K this first year for near new pick-up.

I am simply astounded that you would bother to drag out your insurance company into an argument over a few hundred Baht flowerpot!

Regardless if the claim is by you or against you - the excess still applies - (The quote I got was 25K for a year first class against a 1 year old 750K Baht pick up - it had a 15K excess if the vehicle was written off- this was back in 2004))

Most policies have some sort of excess - even if it is a minimal 5K, why on earth would you involve the company for a flower pot - which you broke due to negligence? (The 20K excess was a quote from AIG - for excess payment if the vehicle was written off)

http://insurance.tha...hould-know.html

Edited by Willeyeam

The OP did say the pot was encroaching on the road!

Actually he didn't. He said: "The pot, situated almost on the public road, unfortunately broke." So almost is almost, but not quite. Look at Dave2's picture to see the OP's definition of almost.

In any case, the pot is either on the public road, or it's in the bar/restaurant area; I think they are in a very reasonable place, and if anyone hits one then it's their car that's encroaching into the restaurant area, not the pots moving out!

The pic that dave2 posted is very telling. That is such a small soi why would you want to park your car in front of the place anyway? One would think there would be a bit more space somewhere nearby?

He was not trying to park a car there. You cannot park there. He hit a pot most likely while driving out of Number 1's own parking area right next to the place. You have to get that turn correct, it's pretty tight but no more tight than many other regular traffic situations you can get into downtown.

50% Change you guessed right, Winnie TheKhwai but it was just the other 50%: I arrived at the bar from the "non Loi kroh side" and went out of my car, expecting the guard to park my car as usual.

As I mensioned before, unfortunately the guard was not there that night. So I went in my car again to park the car myself. To make the turn backwards into the parking area, I had to go a bit more forward first. Then unfortunately I hit the pot because I did not see it and in the meantime had forgotten it was there..

I think all is said by now so I suggest that we end this melodrama on this forum.

This is my first post. I am amazed how many (different) reactions this thread generated.

Thanks everyone!

Why not just hire yourself a Thai driver?

It would save you all the hassles of actually having to drive, having to park etc. - These are some of the extreme dangers some people have to face every day using a car.

If you are uncomfortable actually using the vehicle without damaging other peoples property, or have to rely on parking attendants to park your car for you, I suggest a hired driver.

When you drive back from your "night of destruction wrecking innocent peoples' flowerpots" do you pull up at your own home and look for someone to park your car for you?

What exactly do you do if you venture further afield like Big C or Tesco - you know, when you get into the car park and it is actually busy? Do you look for a car park attendant to park your car here too?

Does Tescos have flower pots?

true blue.

re .. ive drove down that soi on average about once a week, for the last 3 years never seen any pots,anywere

no offence but the pots have been in exactly the same place for over a year and still are ( minus 1 ) .

the pot by the car park entrance / chair has been replaced by a small statue / figure

so that must be the one the op hit

dave2

ps ... i would have just paid up on the spot as well

wow, your righf never ever noticed them,must off been trying to get a blimp, every time ive drove past,evan though ive seen them now can still not rember them.memory lapse lol

Witnessed a very similar incident at the Dogs <deleted> in Pattaya many years ago, a punter parking his car accidentally demolished a plant pot belonging to the bar next door. Immediately all the ladies came out screaming threats and abuse, and within minutes the police were there accompanied by Sophon TV (pre-Nils era). The guy in question was well known for only being happy when he was throwing his money around, and would gladly have paid several times the value had he been given the chance. Both Police and media left in disgust within minutes, and a nothing incident that could have been amicably settled quickly led to a rumbling feud between bar owners, and yes the driver was only too happy to pay for the damage. People here sometimes just get worked up over nothing.

Edited by rott

So, why would you get your insurance company involved….Firstly, it will more than level the playing field and a lot of the time, any ass-wipes trying to rip you off will melt away when they know your Thai insurance company is on its way. Once at your side, they will kick ass, and <deleted>*k anyone off who is not involved, they know the law better than the BIB. Fact is, you don't pay anything, and you can bet your insurance company doesn't want to pay either.

I am simply astounded that you would bother to drag out your insurance company into an argument over a few hundred Baht flowerpot!

Regardless if the claim is by you or against you - the excess still applies - (The quote I got was 25K for a year first class against a 1 year old 750K Baht pick up - it had a 15K excess if the vehicle was written off- this was back in 2004))

Most policies have some sort of excess - even if it is a minimal 5K, why on earth would you involve the company for a flower pot - which you broke due to negligence? (The 20K excess was a quote from AIG - for excess payment if the vehicle was written off)

http://insurance.tha...hould-know.html

'Willeyeam' have you read the replies? It is not about the true cost of the pot, the OP, I'm sure would have paid a fair price for the pot! Drag the insurance to sort out 500 Baht! Who has said anything about dragging the Insurance Co out for 500 Baht? The pot owners are trying it on, attempting to extort money from the OP, (Wow, shocker….In Thailand) for how much….we will never know, if they had got the police on their side, well you would be in stuck mate! Soooooooooooooooo! Get your insurance company involved…They will fight these Muppets, and sort it out, so you can pay a fair price. Still astounded about getting your insurance Co involved?

Edited by Tonto21

true blue.

re ... wow, your righf never ever noticed them

i know i am .. i might be wrong but going by your name i take it your an aussie ?

that would explain everything : )

dave2... a brit

I must be missing something.

Someone named Fred said he owned the bar and wanted payment. Then a girl turns up and says that she owns the bar.

If that is correct then I too wouldn't be so keen to pay. But then again, I'm not so sure I've understood what happened correctly.

Fred owns the bar with his wife Joy, and yes, I believe the story 100%.