Bicycles - They'Re So Inexpensive And Fun

gaga2011

I started riding a bicycle (Carrefour 2000 baht) a few months ago and now I barely use my motorbike anymore. Contrary to popular opinion, I feel safer on my bicycle because many vehicles usually give me the right of way or a wide berth of space. Police pay no attention to cyclists so there are no rules of the road. You can ride along the beach road path too. Today in Big C, I see bicycles are only 770 baht.

I went to a bike shop today on Pattaya Klang/Soi 12 run by a Chinese-Thai family and they did some brake repairs (50 baht). They were friendly and efficient. Recommended.

post-130327-0-09749000-1307190378_thumb.

post-130327-0-08147900-1307190382_thumb.

post-130327-0-38450900-1307190385_thumb.

post-130327-0-81757600-1307190388_thumb.

post-130327-0-76557400-1307190392_thumb.

post-130327-0-61344000-1307190396_thumb.

Cycling is the way ahead.

I agree about the safety factor. My head is now as high if not higher than most of the huge 4x4's - I see a lot more around me and strangely I can get around town in about the same time as I did on the Honda Click. I am a lot fitter for it as well.

I would actually recommend spending a bit more on a good bike. The Tesco / Carrefoure mainland Chinese cheapies will not last the course.

There are 3 good bike shops on Threprasit Road and for the real enthusiast down Soi 7 off Theprasit you can get a Fixed Wheel road bike.

The owner is a young Thai lad with good English, his bikes look superb and start at 7,000 baht.

The only danger I have are the skankie Soi dogs....

I fully agree.

I sold my bike after a motorbike accident and bought a push bike.

Any advice what to do about those Soi dogs?

Unlike the girls, the soi dogs aren't impressed with those bratwursts you must keep in your pocket...:unsure:

I guess they don't like me because I never get chased (Soi dogs never. Ladyboys constantly...).

In the event you get harassed, I get off the bike, crouch down as if I'm picking something up and dogs universally think you are going to throw the imaginary object.

To the OP....."You can ride along the beach road path too". What's all that about? Beach Road path is a FOOTpath. It may be safer for you to bike along the path but it's certainly not safe for the walkers for whom it's really meant. Cyclists on this path are a nuisance and a downright danger to pedestrians. You chose a bike-stick to where it belongs, on the road. I choose to walk and I certainly don't want to impinge on your rightful territory.

hi

have you never seen thais on motorbike along the footpath on beachroad????

To the OP....."You can ride along the beach road path too". What's all that about? Beach Road path is a FOOTpath. It may be safer for you to bike along the path but it's certainly not safe for the walkers for whom it's really meant. Cyclists on this path are a nuisance and a downright danger to pedestrians. You chose a bike-stick to where it belongs, on the road. I choose to walk and I certainly don't want to impinge on your rightful territory.

oh don't be a party pooper bahtboy ! There are so few places for cyclists to get away from

cars and anyway who says you are right that it is only meant for walkers?

Anyway the first rule about Thailand is there are no rules ! Look how many people

ride motorbikes and drive cars on the wrong side towards oncoming traffic.I think you should

start lecturing them before the environmentally friendly cyclists

Edited by midas

oh don't be a party pooper bahtboy ! There are so few places for cyclists to get away from

Anyway the first rule about Thailand is there are no rules ! Look how many people

ride motorbikes and drive cars on the wrong side towards oncoming traffic.I think you should

Well said Midas...Bahtboy, I have to point out the pavement/sidewalk on Suhkamvit Road has bicycle symbols embedded into it and so has the new 2nd road running through Jomtien. Starting way up on Thrapaya all the way along where the paving has been completed for several Kilometres. So I guess City hall want people on bikes to go there...

I personnaly do not cycle along the beach path in Jomtien or Pattaya - for sure it is a recipe for a confrontation or accident. But I have pulled up onto the pavement on Suhkumvit to avoid heavy traffic.

Bikes are a strange commodity - just like peoples opinions on Cats. No one seems to sit on the fence when it comes to Bikes or Cats...they hate them or love them....

Personally I like both. AND bikes have been around a lot longer than cars and if anyone cares to read a good High Way Code - you will find surprise surprise Bikes have "right of way". Only people on a Horse have more rights.......

Well said Midas...Bahtboy, I have to point out the pavement/sidewalk on Suhkamvit Road has bicycle symbols embedded into it and so has the new 2nd road running through Jomtien. Starting way up on Thrapaya all the way along where the paving has been completed for several Kilometres. So I guess City hall want people on bikes to go there...

I personnaly do not cycle along the beach path in Jomtien or Pattaya - for sure it is a recipe for a confrontation or accident. But I have pulled up onto the pavement on Suhkumvit to avoid heavy traffic.

Bikes are a strange commodity - just like peoples opinions on Cats. No one seems to sit on the fence when it comes to Bikes or Cats...they hate them or love them....

Personally I like both. AND bikes have been around a lot longer than cars and if anyone cares to read a good High Way Code - you will find surprise surprise Bikes have "right of way". Only people on a Horse have more rights.......

OK. We're talking, or at least I and the OP are talking about cycling along the footpath on Beach Road, Pattaya. That's the footpath which is presumably meant for pedestrians to enjoy a walk along the seashore, and is situated between the road and the beach. There are no bicycle symbols there and as you rightly say cycling there is a recipe for confrontation or accident. That was what I was pointing out. I was pointing that out in my first post. Nothing more. The OP thinks he can, I think he shouldn't.

Agreed....Do not cycle on a crowded narrow footpath on Pattaya Beach.