Another Qantas Plane Incident

soihok

Straits Times reports another incident regarding a Qantas plane.

The landing gear failed to retract on a 747 after take off .

I,ve never flown with Qantas and don't ever plan to. There just seems to be far too many incidents with their planes.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_676381.html

Soi Hok, Go HoK?Ask yourself these questions. How long has Qantas been flying? How many fatalities have they experienced?H ow many airlines have been flying as long as Qantas? How many other airlines have zero fatalities? Answer these questions and you might like to reconsider .And fly with the safest airline in the world.

Not to mention the rats they found on one plane, hope they didn't chew through too much wiring.

Recently they are relying on more good luck than good management and honestly, they are a major accident waiting to happen and considering their trolley dollies are far too precious, I would never fly them again.

Edited by Wallaby

I think we tend to hear about incidents involving their planes because management are open to releasing details and discussing the incidents. I understand this is not the case for many airlines.

I don't understand how hearing about the incidents can make them safe.

Wasn't this once the only airline Rain Man would fly because of it's safety record?

Qantas last fatal accident was in 1951. How long did it take One-2-go to bury a plane in the tarmack?

The reason you hear about them so much in the press is that a) they actually REPORT incidents and B) the press have been after them for a very long time. Last week there was a story about how a flight was cancelled due to staff finding some rats on board. Would that make the news with any other airline?

While it is true that their staff are about as friendly as a road accident, I have no doubt that they are competent. I am quite sceptical of the competence of staff on many other airlines, some of whom seem to struggle even to serve lunch.

Sorry, it doesn't. You see you are missing a "with"Insert that and it brings or takes you back to Quaint arse. Not trolleys. Curiously , no one has answered my questions , in my original post. I wonder why.

Soi Hok, Go HoK?Ask yourself these questions. How long has Qantas been flying? How many fatalities have they experienced?H ow many airlines have been flying as long as Qantas? How many other airlines have zero fatalities? Answer these questions and you might like to reconsider .And fly with the safest airline in the world.

I agree with some of what you say but Qantas has had fatalities, but the REAL issue is their record since JET flights begin which is of course zero fatalities, and this is most important...

the reason Qantas is highlighted often is they do report EVERY incident and also if one checks their amount of flights one will understand that what you say is basically correct.

QANTAS HAS a safety record that 95% of ALL major airlines envy and I for one would fly with them more often if not for thier RUDE FAT ARSED trolley doilies :D guys and girls, they are easily the rudest air crew flying today, seriously I do not know who these people keep their jobs and another thing, trust me its WORSE up the front ( seniority )

No....the question is, is how many incidents have now happened to Qantas aircraft since the management farmed out aircraft maintenance to foreign countries?

Answer. Pretty much all of them.

Qantas was only safe when they did their own maintenance using Qantas workers in Australia.

You do make a very valid point, but they did have "incidents" before .i seem to remember a rather interesting one at Don Muang some years back. -Overshot the runway? Ended up in a klong. Or very near it. I think ,though that Quaint arse are somewhat more open about their near disasters than many other airlines.At least , they have not put a fully loaded plane in the drink, as many others have.Who wins out of the "Trolley Dollies"? Q or B.A. OR ?

You do make a very valid point, but they did have "incidents" before .i seem to remember a rather interesting one at Don Muang some years back. -Overshot the runway? Ended up in a klong. Or very near it. I think ,though that Quaint arse are somewhat more open about their near disasters than many other airlines.At least , they have not put a fully loaded plane in the drink, as many others have.

Yes, that plane was considered a right off by the insurance company, but, Qantas spent more than the cost of a new 747 to get that plane air-worthy again.

Such is the value of their safety reputation.

Qantas was only safe when they did their own maintenance using Qantas workers in Australia.

They still do the vast majority of their maintenance work in Australia (it's the Australian engineers that are trying to turn this into a media issue, while also pursuing a wage claim).

They still do the vast majority of their maintenance work in Australia (it's the Australian engineers that are trying to turn this into a media issue, while also pursuing a wage claim).

yep

yep

Not only the engineers but pilots are considering strike action. I think the issue at the moment is that Qantas woudn't guarantee their full time employment (something like that). Now I know why, seems Qantas are laying off a heap of cabin crew (not that they do anything anyway).

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/03/uk-qantas-idUSLNE75201820110603

Did I read correctly ? A report seemed to Suggest That Singapore Airlines had a mishap , involving landing gear and had to return to ,was it Hong Kong?So many airlines have problems, it is just that we do not get told about them.

But we did today,yet another poorly run airline -Air New Zealand had an engine failure and had to return 'home" to a full scale welcoming committee on the tarmac.There you go , three of the worlds worst -run airlines all had problems one day after the other.