Obtaining Laos Driving Licence

johnnort

Any info please! My Thai wife, as do I but that's no problem, has a full Thai Driving Licence. We are to live in France for a while and it is necessary for her to have a European licence. The International Licence obtained from Bangkok is only valid for 6 months in France as she has a Carte de Sejour (12 months otherwise). Normally she has 12 months to exchange a foreign licence to a French licence; however, Thailand has not signed the universal treaty governing this and so Thai licences are exempt. Some people here will now state, "rightfully so" but the quality of driving has nothing to do with this treaty or exchange.

Laos has signed this treaty however, so my question is: Has anyone any knowledge or experience in obtaining a Laos driving licence even if it is exchanging the Thai licence. A quick solution is required with cash available. Are there 'helpers' waiting outside the government offices? And what office building do we visit in Vientiane. Once this is obtained she can then exchange it to a French licence.

Taking a test in France is a non-starter as it is very complicated and neither my wife nor I have any knowledge of the French language.

Thank you!