Black Scorpion

trainman34014

Found quite a large Black Scorpion in my garden earlier and having never found one before I went to Thai wife and asked are they deadly? 'Yes, Kill it' came the response so off I goes and sends it to the promised land. Now I have just read about them on Siam Info' and they are not dangerous, their sting being no worse than a Bee or Wasp. Furthermore it says they are endangered and should not be killed but released into the wild. After telling wifey about this I was informed that they don't taste any good when cooked so Thai people just kill them because they are no use !

Edited by trainman34014

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun TrainMan34014,

Found a gigantic scorpion (mang wow) this week in the garden, a dark blue-greenish color. Showed him to the folks at the local mini-mart, one of whom suggested his thorax could be stir-fried (thot).

Released her (him ?) in a nearby woods. Sure would not like to personally evaluate what the sting would be like !

You might enjoy the wonderful (non-commercial) site: www.thaibugs.com created by a Chiang Mai based entomologist and photographer.

Here's the info page of that site on scorpions: Scorpions on ThaiBugs.com, but that page doesn't give information about Thai scorpions specifically.

best, ~o:37;

Just found one right infront of my door last week (see pic)... I almost stepped on it barefoot . It was the first time in my life seeing one, so my first response was: Kill it! :ph34r: Which I did. I later googled it and it looked like a black forest scorpion. Not deadly, sting is comparable to a bee sting. I saw one again yesterday 20 meters from my house (near kad suan kaew!!) and,..... let it live.

post-53801-0-25924300-1307273112_thumb.j

It has been said that if you have chickens in your yard, you will have no scorpions. It worked in Central America, but not sure how you feel about having chickens. If it doesn't work, you could have a chicken/scorpion stir-fry.

Not deadly, sting is comparable to a bee sting.

Yes, not deadly, but often far more painful than an ordinary bee sting. More on par with a sting from one of the more notorious members of the wasp family found flying around some of the more rural mountainous neighborhoods.

I've seen one in the parking lot of my condominium building, that based on other reports makes it difficult to believe they are endangered. Whether endangered or not I see no reason to kill them unless they present a danger to oneself, family or friends. Live and let live.

Why did you run over the snake Winnie? If you were in a car it's hard to believe it presented a threat to you.

When we lived in Sa Kaeo we had no shortage of scorpions, seem to like damp areas and most common around the two toilet/bathroom/laundry outbuildings, anywhere the soil was moist could pick up a rock and find one underneath.

The saying 'never go into a dark room' applies - a 3am trip for a pee could be hazardous as often there'd be a scorpion in the loo area.

Worst exp was a 4.30am wake-up with my partner - one had decided to come inside the house (gap under the door) and get cosy in bed, she'd rolled on it and got a bite on her shoulder. They can move fast, or seemed to be fast as I was half asleep. I think my panic out-weighed her pain.

I like to say 'it could have been worse - it could have stung me!', she had an ache and some small swelling for a day or so.

The scorpion's fate - death by large textbook!

I've seen one in the parking lot of my condominium building, that based on other reports makes it difficult to believe they are endangered. Whether endangered or not I see no reason to kill them unless they present a danger to oneself, family or friends. Live and let live.

Why did you run over the snake Winnie? If you were in a car it's hard to believe it presented a threat to you.

It was there, it was a primordial reflex. Hundreds of thousands of years of evolution since that snake screwed Eve have led to an instincive reaction to steer the truck's Bridgestones over long slithery things. I couldn't help it.

Could someone help me tell what kind of snake it was? It was grayish brown, and flat in the middle.

It was there, it was a primordial reflex. Hundreds of thousands of years of evolution since that snake screwed Eve have led to an instincive reaction to steer the truck's Bridgestones over long slithery things. I couldn't help it.

Could someone help me tell what kind of snake it was? It was grayish brown, and flat in the middle.

It's the ones that are flat at one end that you should pay attention to... :lol:

Ian_with_cobra_1.sized.jpg

Cobra_011.sized.jpg

You can keep scorpions as pets...

Scorpion_Lady.jpg

Had one drop into my shirt while camping 2 weeks ago.

He stung me twice before I figured out it was more than a moot dang.

Took my shirt off and got this picture.

img-0145.jpg

I've been stung by the nasty tiger wasps (Thais call them "Tor").

The Tor are 10 times worse than this little sting I got from the scorpion.

Of course, he was a small one.

They've got some REAL big ones up in Mae Sai

Mae_Sai_035.jpg

And some little bitty ones in Chiang Mai

Scorpion_006.sized.jpg

That big black one in Mai Sai won't do you any harm - but those little tiny brown buggers in Chiang Mai can be terribly painful.

There are loads of these sites that keep posting about these creatures being "endangered" and should "be released back into the wild"

They are usually people who have never stepped on one or had them in their homes - They even say this about those giant centipedes - release it into the wild! When they have been stung a couple of times or had their kids stung by these things, let's see if they are so keen!

It is about time they re-educated the scorpions and centipedes not to sting - then they wouldn't get killed. Maybe they could send one of them up to my place to "release back into the wild" the "Tor Hua Suah" Nest I had...a few stings off them and you are quick to reach for the petrol believe me!

Aren't you supposed to believe in evolution or the Adam and Eve thing, not both?

Aren't you supposed to believe in evolution or the Adam and Eve thing, not both?

I cast a wide net. :)

Either way there are two legitimate explanations for what appears to be a universal fear/dislike for snakes in humans. One is the Genesis module in the bible that features the snake as the bad guy, the other is hundreds of thousands of years of experience.. Wanted to make sure I got both. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

....most "legitimate" explanation is that many humans are just @ssholes that will gladly kill anything to feel superior.

Yah, and some of us have been killing things for a long time... :whistling:

Wooly_Mammoth.jpg

Maria_with_ram.jpg

....most "legitimate" explanation is that many humans are just @ssholes that will gladly kill anything to feel superior.

Right, can't rule out that as a definite possibility either. Good point. ;)

Could be a trait we share with several other species of course, including cats and dogs.

I remember reading someting saying that the bigger the scorpian the less dangerous it is, so it's the little uns you need to beware!

if a scorpion has large pincers like the one in the photo they have a weak sting as they use the pincers as there mane way to hunt and kill

its the small ones with small pincers that are dangerous i dont think we have any like that in thailand so no need to kill them

i find them interesting so i just keep still and watch them much better than ubc anyway