Where Do They All Go?

prefabs

Just thinking that several Thai Visa regulars don't appear so frequently nowadays, if at all. Or maybe I am blind and gloss over their posts.

Syd Barrett, Britmaveric, locally and SriRacha John and Dmax nationally.

Personally, I get fed up with being suspended, but I don't think these guys got into bother as much as I do

Does anyone know of any reasons which can be debated here as to why people disappear?

Within the bounds of the moderators rules, of course

Just thinking that several Thai Visa regulars don't appear so frequently nowadays, if at all.

Does anyone know of any reasons which can be debated here as to why people disappear?

Hi,

I don't know why... but may have some ideas:

Some of them are now posting on smaller forums specific to Visa or Pattaya; :)

ThaiVisa is now too big :( :

Too many newbies and repeated questions. No way to talk of a serious subject without tens of pages of aggressive discussion going nowhere. Too many ads everywhere, including inside posts! Too much censorship, mainly on external useful links or on what is "around" sponsors. et cetera...

Lack of interesting topics lately.

Home, lack of funds, suspended, lethargy, lack of interesting topics, gone to other forums, but all in all not much to talk about on the Pattaya Topics section and you can get a good argument on the Thai news section if you don't get your post taken off or you don't get suspended and there are probably a few of them there.:jap:

Aggressive posters who manage to hijack interesting threads to conduct their personal arguments resulting in closure by the mods.

Yes, I agree with that.

I call these people, spoilers.

For example, there was recently a thread started by some poor sod regarding the quality of a sofa he bought in Chiang Mai. Then suddenly some posters decided to go on the attack, in fact I would describe it as abuse of the poster for the sake of, until in the end it became impossible for that thread to function and was closed by the Mods.

Has anyone ever tried criticizing a restaurant in the Chiang Mai forum or disagreeing with a post on a thread started by a sponsor, again especially in the Chiang Mai forum. Try it and see for yourself.

But as a whole I think Thai visa is an excellent service, whether it`s a business or not.

No one should criticize the Mods for well, doing what they do and that`s moderating, remembering the strict defamatory laws of Thailand.

A simple answer is that when you split up any forum into a bunch of sub forums then it also splits up the people. One group will hang out on one sub-forum while other hang out somewhere else. When you lose the diversity you also lose the interest. When only a few people participate in a discussion the whole thread dies a quick death. It would be almost impossible for one person to check on all the sub-forums on thaivisa on a regular basis. That means you miss an interesting topic that might be running in one of the sub-forums you don't participate in. And, because thaivisa does not allow the same topic to be running simultaneously then it goes un-noticed.

Suspended ? How d'ya get suspended am gonna have to try that !

My experience shows that what people perceives as being signs of an incredibly rude and unsightly nature of personality is when someone points out that they are wrong.

It becomes even nastier if the person in question moreover is ready to explicate WHY someone is wrong – and in addition is prepared to show empiric facts that clearly exemplifies how crazy an argument might be. In the event of such case, you are clearly dealing with an asocial madman who - in the event that you are totally unable to defend your complete and utter lack of knowledge or incorrect gibberish, for that matter - should be barred from this forum if not only to prevent the sinister character from revealing someone's lack of argument with proper statements supported by empiric facts - which is apparently perceived as being rude.

In other words - being suspended on TV usually means you've been rude...

PS.

I've been rude many times.

We must remember that TV is a business and not specifically here to help members. Their loyalties lie with sponsors first.

Given that the content is entirely provided for free by members perhaps the owners should be thinking a bit less of making a fortune out of the site?

I run several sites that are funded by adverts and which contain only user-created content, and I only put enough ads on those to cover costs. Any excess income from ads goes directly to charity. I dont have sponsors on them at all.

There are far too many people looking to make fast buck out of the internet (and life in general) without actually putting anything worthwhile in.

Suspended ? How d'ya get suspended am gonna have to try that !

My experience shows that what people perceives as being signs of an incredibly rude and unsightly nature of personality is when someone points out that they are wrong.

It becomes even nastier if the person in question moreover is ready to explicate WHY someone is wrong – and in addition is prepared to show empiric facts that clearly exemplifies how crazy an argument might be. In the event of such case, you are clearly dealing with an asocial madman who - in the event that you are totally unable to defend your complete and utter lack of knowledge or incorrect gibberish, for that matter - should be barred from this forum if not only to prevent the sinister character from revealing someone's lack of argument with proper statements supported by empiric facts - which is apparently perceived as being rude.

In other words - being suspended on TV usually means you've been rude...

PS.

I've been rude many times.

I'll take your rudeness (although I don't remember any of it) any day over the recent spate from two posters of hijacking threads, challenging anyone for the purpose of engaging in conflict. Arrogant, juvenile, pseudo-intellectual, condescending, self-validating, know-it-alls that post voluminous vitriolic vomitus in almost every thread, no matter the topic. They are capable of psychoanalyzing all of us and advising us, usually sarcastically, on how to lead our lives, often by pulling amazing statistics instantly out of thin air.

They make winding your way through an otherwise interesting thread a chore. But cleaning up someone else's vomit always is.

A bit of rudeness is nothing compared to these two clowns. They make coming here unpleasant.

OK, some posts are bordering on discussing moderation, don't go there chaps.

Meanwhile, for those of you whinging about certain posters, use the "Report" button when you see something objectionable, we will look at all reported posts.

And for those worried about the ads. Don't forget, the content may be provided for free, but the hosting and bandwidth is most definitely not, a site the size of TV doesn't live on a simple co-hosted box.

I love Thailand, I love my home country, I love Thai Visa and it's moderators, I love the fact that I agree with one poster on one subject and then disagree with them on the next! I love spending/ wasting my time on Thai Visa, some posters are hilarious in their 'one (or two) liners', occasionally comment, when serious, or comical! Apart from the slow page loading required by the adverts, which I seem to be able to ignore, by getting another beer from the kitchen, or having a wee!

As far as where 'they've' gone, I don't know, but they were funny, possibly because of their extreme views (when playing devil's advocate or not)!

If I'm after genuinely important (for me) information, I'll search the site first - and if I can't find the specifics, I'll PM a knowledgable person on the subject!

Anyway, I'm off to clip my own toenails! - straight!

Ive been a member of this forum for many years ( Member No.97 ) and as time's gone on all thought the membership has increased I feel there's been a decrease in the amount of new topics being started and recently a decrease in the numbers of replays being made, times are changing and the options of other ways to access and ask questions on the internet are constantly growing especially with un moderated social web sites , along with the fact it seems a daily occurrence to see yet another Thai related forum spring up who's friendly non commercial format, seems not to antagonize its membership

I know some forums provide constant updates on things that may affect forum members and current news articles, but again things are changing and access to this constantly updated materiel is now freely available in a non forum format , at the click of a mouse or dedicated on screen newsreader

In the end the bottom line is , no forum members no forum , :(