I Became Seriously Sick - What About My Visa, How To Do?

Let me write first this: usually I never would like to ask, if and what kind of possibilities I have to stay here because of being sick. But this is pretty serious and I really worry to travel long distance ways right now...

I have a quite big thrombosis in my leg. And about the consequences I know very well (a friend of mine died with 28 because of a pulmonary embolism and I also had to be on intensive care in hospital because of it). And I also had already a few more pulmonary embolisms before.

So usually I take Orfarin for this. I not take it always, but always, when i realize, there's a new thrombosis. And anyway, before I travel, I start in time to use this medicament. Now I ran out of it and just today I got a new container. Usually I wanted to go to Laos tomorrow night (by bus) to apply for one more TV (1 entry as I anyway want to leave to Cambodia). I stay here on Tourist Visa (double entry, and I made 2 30 days extensions). My last day of extension is tomorrow.

Usually absolutely no question that I will leave. But I seriously worry, that something more can happen this time, as it is a quite long trip by bus and I never had such big thrombosis before, when i had to travel. Of course I can go to a doctor. And for sure any doctor will confirm, I'm not able to travel actually.

So what I usually have to do now? Going to a doctor and write something like this after checking me? Or first going to the immigration office here and asking them, what they want from me exactly? I really have no idea as I never had this situation.

Thanks in advance for every answer

Tom

Your hospital doctor can write a visa medical letter indicating that you are unable to travel for medical reasons. This should also show an end date (although this can be overwritten by new letter) Take letter to local immigration and they should extend your permission to stay until date on letter (1900 baht though) jap.gif

if on 30 day extentions - immigration might not be too interested in extending or issuing any new 30 day visa - and why should they - the cold hard facts are, if you are that ill it's unlikely that you are here as a "tourist" which is what 30 day visa's are for .

Edited by Artisi

if on 30 day extentions - immigration might not be too interested in extending or issuing any new 30 day visa - and why should they - the cold hard facts are, if you are that ill it's unlikely that you are here as a "tourist" which is what 30 day visa's are for .

Won't make any difference - Op is not asking for new visa from them, just a medical extension jap.gif

Won't make any difference - Op is not asking for new visa from them, just a medical extension jap.gif

Lets see what happens.:jap:

Lets see what happens.:jap:

Have seen plenty been done jap.gif

I'm sorry, but you try to tell me, it's fake or I'm that sick that I usually cant travel. I have this now since about 10 years, since 5 years I'm traveling through Asia and as I always had my pills, no problem. And for sure I also not "told" my body, pls make some thrombosis at the last days of my extensions... but it happend.

The problem in this is, that exactly traveling now is like poison for me. And I have to change all my plans now because of this. Because I anyway want to go on to Cambodia. I just wanted to wait till a friend from Europe comes in about 8 weeks. How many days ever a doctor will tell me to stay, it wont make any sense to apply for another tv, as I'm not willing to travel through half Southeast Asia to get a tv but only wanna stay maybe another 4 weeks or so. So if they will make this extension, it will cause me to leave Thailand even earlier as planned...

But I'm not a Buddhist and I dont believe in the next life, so I not really want to risk this one, I just have ;)

With a medical certificate from doctor advising against travel an extension of stay of up to 90 days will be provided (although immigration can have there doctor do an exam if in doubt).

Section 2.25 of Police Order 777/2551

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician

responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the

details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for

travelling.

if on 30 day extentions - immigration might not be too interested in extending or issuing any new 30 day visa - and why should they - the cold hard facts are, if you are that ill it's unlikely that you are here as a "tourist" which is what 30 day visa's are for.

But surely even tourists fall ill, I'm assuming that if a tourist did fall ill and couldn't travel home the same would apply, even if they didn't actually have a visa?

if on 30 day extentions - immigration might not be too interested in extending or issuing any new 30 day visa - and why should they - the cold hard facts are, if you are that ill it's unlikely that you are here as a "tourist" which is what 30 day visa's are for.

But surely even tourists fall ill, I'm assuming that if a tourist did fall ill and couldn't travel home the same would apply, even if they didn't actually have a visa?

Correct - medical extensions are valid for all if granted jap.gif

Was stuck in Chulla hospital for 3 weeks last year. TGF took doctors cert to immigration and they simply extended it. Because I could not attend immigration in person, we needed photos of me holding the news paper with that day's date on it. She went on her own to immigration with the photo & doctors note and they extended it as per the note. No issues whatsoever and this is on the back of multiple 30 day tourist visas, maybe 20 or so of them.

Fret not.

Edited by sbergin

Police order 777/2551

2.25 In the case of medical

treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician

responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

Police order 777/2551

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

Have seen 2 or 3 extra persons granted extension based on patient - remember 1900 baht each jap.gif

Edited by terak69

Okay, here's an update.

Went to a doctor's clinic first, but after he understood what I have he sent me straight to hospital. As he mentioned government hospital, we went there.

I not needed to say too much, as everything was clear when he saw my leg. A friend was with me to translate. And first I worried as he prepared some letter saying can not move for the next 4 days. Later she explained me there's written much more: that he can not yet say, how long it will take, but actually I'm "on emergency status" and they need the next few days to find out the right quantity of medicaments.

He also wrote, I'm not allowed to travel right now as it would be very dangerous. My friend (she's my ex gf and was just here by accident as she usually lives more far away) also told me, that this doctor were writing pretty powerful how much dangerous traveling would be for me right now and she also said, that we went to a government hospital, is better, as at a private hospital (the immigration could say) they attest me everything for money, but never at a gov. hospital.

So tomorrow I have to go to immigration. I really want to know what they will say...

The only funny thing: I have to get Heparin injections. But they did not give it to me. They said, people can not do without nurse. Well, at home always when I got Heparin injections, I made by myself, as this is normal... but honestly, I'm happy, when this is over and when I can move on... it's not that funny right now...

Okay, here's an update.

Went to a doctor's clinic first, but after he understood what I have he sent me straight to hospital. As he mentioned government hospital, we went there.

I not needed to say too much, as everything was clear when he saw my leg. A friend was with me to translate. And first I worried as he prepared some letter saying can not move for the next 4 days. Later she explained me there's written much more: that he can not yet say, how long it will take, but actually I'm "on emergency status" and they need the next few days to find out the right quantity of medicaments.

He also wrote, I'm not allowed to travel right now as it would be very dangerous. My friend (she's my ex gf and was just here by accident as she usually lives more far away) also told me, that this doctor were writing pretty powerful how much dangerous traveling would be for me right now and she also said, that we went to a government hospital, is better, as at a private hospital (the immigration could say) they attest me everything for money, but never at a gov. hospital.

So tomorrow I have to go to immigration. I really want to know what they will say...

The only funny thing: I have to get Heparin injections. But they did not give it to me. They said, people can not do without nurse. Well, at home always when I got Heparin injections, I made by myself, as this is normal... but honestly, I'm happy, when this is over and when I can move on... it's not that funny right now...

Firstly - Good luck with your treatment

2ndly - If you get a visa Extension letter from Hospital Doctor preferable with an actual 'can travel' date (whether it be 30 days or 90 days) this will fill out all the ticks for immigration. They will give you extra days until the 'can travel' date for 1900 baht. You need copy of passport, current TR visa, entry stamp & 1 photograph. Fill out a TM7 & hey presto 1 unwanted (in health terms) extension. If your ailment has nor been cleared up by the 'can travel' date then another letter can be used again jap.gif

@terak69

Thanks for the advice.

A 'can travel' date they not yet gave to me. Honestly, I have no idea, on what this depends.

1.) To bring my blood coagulation down to the right level,will take about one week.

2.) The Thrombosis itself will be dissolved usually within 4-6 weeks.

3.) And to find out the right medication will take about 3 months (the lower percentage of the blood coagulation can be kept as needed, once they know the daily dosage of the pills, I have to take, but finding out this - to "adjust" this, takes that much time).

So I have no idea, which of the above steps the doctor will see as the point, from which I can travel again. Taking too much of the pills can cause internal bleedings or/and brain hemorrhage, while taking not enough (a higher percentage of my blood coagulation) can cause the next thrombosis immediately.

If it is the point, when the thrombosis has gone, I decided to apply for another TV (1 entry is enough and also not a problem, as I just had 2 TV in the past in my pp) to bring it to the right dosage after that. Because I want to go on to Cambodia. And my trust to Cambodian hospitals is because of some happenings in the past not the biggest...

But thanks very much for all the help and information, I got here.

Okay, here is the last update. Everything is done now and fine.

Yesterday it was pretty busy, as the doctor's letter was not exactly like the immigration wanted to have. So we had to drive few times from immigration to the hospital. The immigration (after asking my friend what I have exactly) also told us, we should please the doctor for 90 days instead 30 days as he did.

But the doctor said, tough he knows, it will take more then 30 days, he not want to give the feeling to the immigration that he easily writes 90 days. That's ok for me, as I anyway want to get rid of the thrombosis (I agreed with the doctor, that he will take care until I have the right dosage as I want to go on to Cambodia,and so I don't need to worry anything in Cambodia anymore). The idea from the immigration was, that I could save money, as every extension will cost 1.900 Baht.

Like always I have to say, the immigration (and also all the other involved persons from nurses to doctors) were extremely friendly and also very helpful. Anyway this is something I have to say: within the more then 5 years, I stay in Southeast Asia, I never made any bad experiences with immigration officers or other officials. Sometimes I even think, our own officers (in Germany for me) could take a look, how much help you get here.

Of course they act strictly within their possibilities, laws give to them. But within this they are really very helpful. And more I never would ask, as it is anyway the maximum you can and should expect. I just want to say here one time, as I also read sometimes (also in other forums) about rude officers etc. As I never made any bad experiences, I think, those people should ask themselves, why "their" officers were rude...

Also many thanks here in the forum for the fast response and good informations, especially to @terak69

Edited by starcatcher