Patong Beach: Early Warnings & Carnival-events

NBT TV Phuket

Mini-video & photo on http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=146498

Special Report – Andaman News TV11 Phuket, broadcast for 3 provinces: Phuket, Phang Nga & Krabi & FM90.5 Phuket, 8.30am Tuesday 11 October 2005 & www.ThaiSnews.com

Patong beach in Phuket, the major destination for many visitors, often dubbed the living room of Phuket, is gearing up for the new high season with a carnival & events in November and its Tsunami early warning system towers are now fully functioning, and both should attract and reassure tourists.

During a visit to Patong last Friday with a group from the Macau Government Tourist Office, we had a chance to talk to the Deputy or Vice Mayor of Patong, khun Chairat Sukkaban, who brought us up to date with the capabilities of the Early Warning System, which they all want to know more about: “Now it is connected to __ satellite, so everything is controlled by Bangkok Early Warning System, I also tell you we have a leased line to Patong Municipality so we can control directly from our office.”

He told us the Patong towers will broadcast any tsunami warnings in 5 languages and more may follow: “We have 5 languages – Thai, English, Chinese, Japanese & German.”

The Royal Thai Navy have a permanent rescue centre on the beach and together with his officers they have trained local volunteers to be ready and capable to help during any emergency, not just a tsunami: “We already at local municipality have training for our volunteers, we have about 200 volunteers and also train them to use radio, walkie-talkie, so I think if anything happens, everybody knows about this and know how to learn.”

However he is aware that more public evacuation drills, possibly like the one held in front of the Prime Minister & VIPs in April, but this time maybe at night, will have to take place to remind everyone what to do: “Also we invite managers of the hotels but anyway I think now we are connected to emergency satellite, so soon we have to do 1 more time to make sure everything works.”

He certainly impressed the visiting Director of the Macau Government Tourist Office, Joao Manuel Costa Antunes; “According to the explanations by vice mayor just now. We have been informed that the system is implemented that they have a large number of people trained to help; and some signage will be installed very soon. I think according to this info, I think it created conditions for people to come again, feel safe and enjoy this paradise, that is Phuket.”

Meanwhile khun Chairat is getting ready for the Patong Carnival which is being upgraded to the Phuket Carnival on 1-3 November: “ so now we have a budget of 3 million baht, still not enough, so we decide to look for support; if Tourism (Authority) of Thailand can support this Phuket Carnival 2005, should be very helpful. Also they are planning to do like beauty contest, from airlines hostesses, so many airlines already decide to help us with that, I think it will be interesting this year.”

And he’s not stopping there either, with the Loy Krathong festival coming up on 16 November & beach volleyball on 10-30 November, & concerts after the 26th December, but he does need help:

“Also we do Loy Krathong festival and also we have a lot of activities you know also beach volleyball and also 1 year tsunami (memorial) as local we plan to do concert but as I know, we don’t have much budget, I am looking for private sector or Tourism (authority) of Thailand, if they can help us, it will be very helpful.”

With the high tourist season approaching, with many colourful events to promote this joyful setting and genuine feelings, the Patong authority can assure that safety is in place and ready to welcome all its visitors to explore its beauty and hospitality again.

(For more info, please contact khun Chairat at Patong Municipality tel 01-8916256 or email [email protected] )