How To Get Thai Characters To Stack Properly?

Genericnic

Hi all

I searched the forum and didn't find the answer I need.

I am using an iMac with OS X 10.6.7 installed. I also use Word 2011 for Mac. I have installed the Thai keyboard. The consonants (ภพ ส etc) are working just fine but I am unable to type the stacked vowels. Not only do they not stack as they should (they do work here in Safari, à¸à¸¹) when I type them in, it changes the consonant to a rectangle along with a second rectangle for the vowel. If I backspace to delete the vowel, the consonant reappears correctly. Anyone have a similar problem and, hopefully, a fix?

Thanks

David

I don't know anything about Macs, but I do know that a lot of Thai fonts have incorrect kerning information. This causes the sort of stacking problems you've described. (Many websites such as Panthip don't display correctly in browsers such as Chrome.) You solution may be as simple as changing the font.

You can't do this in Word! However, you need a good Unicode program. I have Mellel which works expertly with typing Thai. Apples word processor won't work either. Mellel is available by download for about $60, I think.

I'd love to see if i have the same problem so i could offer any help but first could you explain what a stacked vowel is?

I don't use word, i use pages but i don't, knowingly, have problems typing anything in Thai.

Nidge.

I'd love to see if i have the same problem so i could offer any help but first could you explain what a stacked vowel is?

I don't use word, i use pages but i don't, knowingly, have problems typing anything in Thai.

Nidge.

Hi Nidge

If you are using Pages, your vowels already work fine. Stacked vowels are those that go above or below the consonant, e.g. กึอ.

I was trying to do it in Word but just decided to use Pages as well.

David

Nidge.

Hi Nidge

If you are using Pages, your vowels already work fine. Stacked vowels are those that go above or below the consonant, e.g. กึอ.

I was trying to do it in Word but just decided to use Pages as well.

David

Hi David,

I guessed that was what you meant but as i never had any problem like that i thought you were talking about something different. I just double checked in Word 2008 and there is no problem there either. Maybe they have changed something in the 2011 version but i would guess more likely you have a setting wrong somewhere?

Nidge.

I have the same problem! Unfortunately, Word 2011 for Mac doesn't support the Thai language (yet?) This is very sad, because Word 2004 for Mac did it! I wrote this to the Microsoft support centre. Their answer was quite "moderate».

Meanwhile I am using OpenOffice for my documents with Thai fonts until Microsoft will support the Thai language again. OpenOffice is fully compatible with MS Word and so the switch is no problem.