'Day Fine' System In Thailand Would Hit Rich Harder, Avoid Jail

webfact

So if you are rich you just pay more to stay out of prison? That doesn't seem very original to me. I thought such a thing already existed?

And if you are poor you pay less.. I know of several instances where the poor have said they can't afford to pay and get away with it. Double standards exist everywhere in this country and not just in the way that people think.

The article is laughable. Not only has Germany another system than the Scandinavian countries, in Thailand the rich have no income. Look at the politicians. A man like Chavalit is paying less than 200,000 Baht in taxes per annum. This means that only the honest people get caught. If the taxman really did his job he would ask police, military and political figures to explain how they could buy a house, car or afford great luxury with their salaries. The day fine system is therefore completely unsuitable for a third world system.

The rich all over the world only pay a fraction of the tax they should. That's why they all hire good accountants. I can't believe the way people go on about the elite here and don't see the same thing in their own country.

Just to compare Income distribution in countries around the world. Look at the table below. The column third from the right shows the Gini Coeeficient. This is used to compare income distribution between the wealthy and the poor. The Higher the coefficient the worse the disparity. If you look Thailand becomes below countries like the USA. But many posters on here from that country hold it up as a proud example of what is right in The West and what is wrong here. No matter where you are in the world the rich rule and the poor suffer. It happens here and everywhere. I do think some posters need to take of their blinkers, stop the Thailand bashing and acknowledge that it's a world wide problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

Sorry if a bit off topic but this thread was turning into the usual bash the elite etc topic. A lot of posters really need to open their eyes.

However, there could be constitutional considerations involved, in Thailand and elsewhere - for example, the principle that one should be punished fairly and equally for crimes one commits.

Ya Think!!!!!!

Maybe consider higher fines for shoplifting for taller people as they can reach more items???

Maybe age consideration? Older people should know better then young? Larger fine?

Only a draconian Society could consider penalties based on postion or status level within a society as a bench mark for law.

So you consider many European countries that have already introduced this to great effect to be Draconian then?

Just to compare Income distribution in countries around the world. Look at the table below. The column third from the right shows the Gini Coeeficient. This is used to compare income distribution between the wealthy and the poor. The Higher the coefficient the worse the disparity. If you look Thailand becomes below countries like the USA. But many posters on here from that country hold it up as a proud example of what is right in The West and what is wrong here.

Sorry if a bit off topic but this thread was turning into the usual bash the elite etc topic.

Whereas you appear to be turning it into the usual bash the USA thread - and no, I'm not American.

Edited by endure

Finland, Denmark (unlimited)

Highest Fines: $200,000 (or more)

Even if you're one of the richest men in Europe, a nearly $200,000 speeding ticket is going to pang just a little (and that was in 2002, when $200,000 was a lot of money). The Trick here is that Finland, and nearby Denmark, both levy speeding fines depending on the annual income of the driver unfortunate enough to pick up a ticket. In this case, records showed that Jussi Salonoja, a 27-year-old heir to a northern European meatpacking empire, earned $11.5 million in 2002, which after a complex calculation by the courts resulted in the world-record fine of about $200,000. And all that for driving 50 mph in a 25 mph zone. A Finnish business executive also had a $165,000 fine reduced to a mere $9000 after he restated his earnings to the courts.

Holy Crap!

A day fine adds an amount above the minimum fine for a particular offence, based on the offender's daily personal income. The system has proved successful in some European countries as a way to punish those committing non-felony offences, as it saves public funds by avoiding imprisonment, said Somkiat Tangkijwanich, a senior TRDI researcher.

It works quite good in Germany. The "daily rate" is set by court ruling and it reflects the lifestyle of the offender. The judge and the prosecution will find out what is true. Nevertheless the "rich" usually handle these fines easier than the poor, in this point there is not a really justice. It has no effect on charges on the road etc., claimed by police or authorities, it only effects the charges at court. It can be ok, depends on how it is handled in real life....

fatfather

Still of the opinion this is a revenue generating system for the state, not administering justice, no different from traffic camera's which have put in place to generate money, not to improve road safety

no different from traffic camera's which have put in place to generate money,

You must be more observant than me being able to write - from experience I guess - about these cameras in Thailand.

All I have been able to locate – and that is very very infrequent - during past many months for the whole length of Royal Road 7 and 9 is one of these cameras operated by two-police guys sitting under an overpass on Royal Road 7 about 5-km before it ends at Sukhumvit Rd. Pattaya. BKK – PTY is plus or minus some 135-Km in length.

Why are they not using this camera more frequently?

Off the record.

“Camera NO GOOD.

Camera shows i.e. fifty pictures car exceeding speed limit. Police officers after returning to office number of tickets written do not tally with number on camera. Boss very angry. Wants know were other tickets”.

Get the idea?