Vehicle Registration Renewal

G'day all,

I recently discovered that I have been driving unregistered since January (the dealer registered my car for 3 months only, not the 12 months I expected)...as you know the date of expiry is in

Thai and I'd never noticed until I asked my wife to check the expiry date...luckily despite several drives to Koh Chang etc the boys in brown left me alone :-)

Anyhow, I could do with some advice in regards to registration renewal. My wife and I have contacted the DLT but with the communication barrier I am now

more confused than when I began... I have searched the forums but unable to find a definitive answer..

Some questions:

1) My car is over 7 years old so I understand that I need to do a safety inspection. What is the Thai name for the safety certificate? Can any certified mechanic workshop

etc issue these certificates? (similar to the pink slip in Australia?) Or must I physically take my car to the transport office to get the certificate there? I want to avoid having to drive into the

office if possible.

2) I understand that the compulsory government 3rd party insurance is called a "Por A Bor" or similar? Can I purchase this at the DLT office at the time of registration? If not, where is

the best place to get this from beforehand?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Cheers..

Visit DLT, and show book, IOW expired annual tax. They will inspect vehicle.

Buy compulsory Insurance at DLT

Bring Insurance slip to tax counter and she tells you how much to pay. New tax sticker issued and reg book updated on taxes page 16

Does not make you good for a year, only until last years tax expired date

next year do it all before expiring, and you miss the overdue fees :)

Bring Insurance slip to tax counter and she tells you how much to pay. New tax sticker issued and reg book updated on taxes page 16

next year do it all before expiring, and you miss the overdue fees :)

forgot

the annual inspection can also be done for a fee by any garage certified, they have yellow sprocket on blue background sign

Its good idea to get your compulsory insurance (CTPL) from the same company you get your 1st, 2nd or 3rd class insurance from so if there is an accident there is no arguing over who pays, the compulsory insurance is the same price for everyone.

I have always used an agent to do my renewals for road tax (they also do the test) as it costs more to drive out to the DLT than what their service fee is.

As katabeachbum last post....

Myself just find it easier, take my car to local garage, she the owner takes the blue book + places masking tape on the chassis No to get some copies, I drive home, then 3 or 4 days later drive back to garage.

Have new 1 yr road tax sticker, 1 yr Insurance ...... Cost of the annual inspection + the garage going to get the road tax = 200 baht, few years ago did drive the 70km round trip to DLT and took about 3 hours there.. For me local garage is the way to go.

If the road tax is overdue then there is a small fee/fine to bring it up to date, but local garage sorts all that out [made an error on month date about 3 yrs ago so was 3 weeks late, thought I was over a week early]

Edited by ignis

• 8 months later...

For vehicles over six years old and requiring an 'inspected certificate' I know that any 'shop' displaying a yellow gearwheel on a blue background sign is authorised to issue.

Presumably the, the big name automobile service agents such as Toyota and Honda etc will do this or is it only the small shops? The agent could be more convenient if it coincides with a periodic inspection.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

It's quite old topic but here it goes.

I find using the agents a hassle. But then again i'm in Bangkok. Sukhumvit DLT has drive in lanes where you can pay without getting out of your car and never been more than 5 mins wait.

• 4 months later...

next year do it all before expiring, and you miss the overdue fees smile.gif

Hmm, I just realized that my registration expired yesterday. Any idea how much the overdue fee is?

next year do it all before expiring, and you miss the overdue fees smile.gif

Hmm, I just realized that my registration expired yesterday. Any idea how much the overdue fee is?

Your registration has not expired so don't worry - howver you annual vehicle tax may have done ........................