Help In Choosing For 3 Diving Company'S?

doingok

Hi Guy

I am looking to do my PADI open water on koh tao and i have found these 3 dive company's.

1.Davy Jones Locker.2 scuba junction 3.deep blue diving

Anyone dived with one of these feed back would be great

Cheers Paul

I've dived with Deep Blue but not the others. My comments on DB are that its ok (it's not bad). BUT they are quite a big operation, the boats can be quite crowded and you do tend to get treated like cattle simply because there are so many people. The instructors herd people around (in a nice way, but it's just not my idea of fun).

I would suggest going with one of the smaller operators where you will get more personal attention. Try Seashell, they're just up the road from Deep Blue. On a quiet day you can sometimes request a particular site (weather permitting). They also head out earlier than most other shops, so you can avoid in-water crowds on the first dive.

Edited by Crushdepth

I've dived with Deep Blue but not the others. My comments on DB are that its ok (it's not bad). BUT they are quite a big operation, the boats can be quite crowded and you do tend to get treated like cattle simply because there are so many people. The instructors herd people around (in a nice way, but it's just not my idea of fun).

I would suggest going with one of the smaller operators where you will get more personal attention. Try Seashell, they're just up the road from Deep Blue. On a quiet day you can sometimes request a particular site (weather permitting). They also head out earlier than most other shops, so you can avoid in-water crowds on the first dive.

cheers i will look up seashell cheers

On the same note...make sure that the smaller shops are just sending divers to the big boats as this often happens in Phuket where during the low season, if they don't have enough to justify gas on a just a few passengers, then many shops pool together on the same boat.

<br>Should Deep Blue not be Big Blue? Never heard of Deep Blue on Koh Tao.<br>
<br><br>

yes big blue sorry .

there is so many on koh tao all the same price so it looks like a lucky dip, so we are looking at so we are down to three big blue, davy jones locker, and sairee cottage diving but there have not got back to me so it could be just 2.

Cheers guy

Edited by doingok

yes big blue sorry .

there is so many on koh tao all the same price so it looks like a lucky dip, so we are looking at so we are down to three big blue, davy jones locker, and sairee cottage diving but there have not got back to me so it could be just 2.

Cheers guy

My advice is to just go to Koh Tao, visit a couple of dive shops, ask them questions and wait to see what the answers are, ask if you can speak to the instructor and get an overall feel, than make a decision.

• 1 month later...

The schools that you have mentioned are all the beach road in Sairee, there are also several other good ones along that stretch.

The island will be pretty quiet when you're going, so rather than book ahead I'd just walk around and have a chat with the instructors at different schools.

Choose the one that feels right for you.

The schools that you have mentioned are all the beach road in Sairee, there are also several other good ones along that stretch.

The island will be pretty quiet when you're going, so rather than book ahead I'd just walk around and have a chat with the instructors at different schools.

Yes that's what we plan to do,been told the taxi price's on the island are pretty high?

Yes that's what we plan to do,been told the taxi price's on the island are pretty high?

Yeh, some of the taxi drivers do take the p*** with prices,

When you get off the boat you're in Mae Haad so I'd just get a taxi straight to Sairee 7-11 - then from there you can just turn right and follow that road past the shops to the the beach road.

A lot of the schools are along that stretch and its quiet easy to walk along there.

Just curious, when are you going?

Diving :

Most important is that you have a good instructor. On KT that is usually easy to find.

If you like diving at all, then after you finish your Open Water, do your Advanced Open Water immediately. It's 2 more days, 5 more dives, and no more classroom - best thing to do for your diving.

DJL - it's been some time now, but I did video for them a while back - small shop, you head to the beach for your long-tail transfer to the dive boat (standard in Sairee).

As someone mentioned, Seashell is close to DJL - I never dove with them, but my friend Leo is teaching there (was one of my staff instructors for the IDC). Leo is top-notch as an instructor.

Ban's is large, but also has good instructors. They take a taxi to Mae Haad Pier for the boat.

But for a large shop, I prefer Crystal - did my IDC there - good instructors, it's in Mae Haad, and you walk to the pier across the sand - easy. They are also the home of Eco Koh Tao - a group that does a lot of good work for the reefs, and you can get a reef-check training there if that interests you.

Back to small shops, New Heaven Diver's in Chalok is quite good. Small like DJL with all the advantages. But they also have a good Environment Program (the guy teaching it is the organiser for the Save Koh Tao Marine Branch) and they also run yoga classes 2x / day if you like that. Chalok is a nice alternative to Sairee. A little more zen...

Other stuff :

Taxis are not cheap on KT. But the resort should meet you at the pier when you arrive with a free taxi.

Motorbike rental - if you need a motorbike, go to RPM (Red Power Motors) in Mae Haad. The owner, Bung, is very honest. Good rental prices and he's done repairs on 2 motorbikes for me (one was his rental, the other my GFs) and his prices were extraordinarily fair. Never will you have a problem with him.

Best coffee on KT is at Zest (Mae Haad and Sairee) - get their telephone numbers when you arrive as they will deliver your morning coffee to your bungalow (or to your dive base before you head for the boat). As a Latté adict, I know of what I speak :coffee1:

And finally, the best Thai Massage is obviously at Meephon, my GFs shop in Chalok :thumbsup: Joking aside, for some reason, Thai Massage shops in Chalok are all less expensive than Sairee and Mae Haad.

Happy diving - Tom

Edited by tlansford

Diving :

Most important is that you have a good instructor. On KT that is usually easy to find.

If you like diving at all, then after you finish your Open Water, do your Advanced Open Water immediately. It's 2 more days, 5 more dives, and no more classroom - best thing to do for your diving.

DJL - it's been some time now, but I did video for them a while back - small shop, you head to the beach for your long-tail transfer to the dive boat (standard in Sairee).

As someone mentioned, Seashell is close to DJL - I never dove with them, but my friend Leo is teaching there (was one of my staff instructors for the IDC). Leo is top-notch as an instructor.

Ban's is large, but also has good instructors. They take a taxi to Mae Haad Pier for the boat.

But for a large shop, I prefer Crystal - did my IDC there - good instructors, it's in Mae Haad, and you walk to the pier across the sand - easy. They are also the home of Eco Koh Tao - a group that does a lot of good work for the reefs, and you can get a reef-check training there if that interests you.

Back to small shops, New Heaven Diver's in Chalok is quite good. Small like DJL with all the advantages. But they also have a good Environment Program (the guy teaching it is the organiser for the Save Koh Tao Marine Branch) and they also run yoga classes 2x / day if you like that. Chalok is a nice alternative to Sairee. A little more zen...

Other stuff :

Taxis are not cheap on KT. But the resort should meet you at the pier when you arrive with a free taxi.

Motorbike rental - if you need a motorbike, go to RPM (Red Power Motors) in Mae Haad. The owner, Bung, is very honest. Good rental prices and he's done repairs on 2 motorbikes for me (one was his rental, the other my GFs) and his prices were extraordinarily fair. Never will you have a problem with him.

Best coffee on KT is at Zest (Mae Haad and Sairee) - get their telephone numbers when you arrive as they will deliver your morning coffee to your bungalow (or to your dive base before you head for the boat). As a Latté adict, I know of what I speak :coffee1:

And finally, the best Thai Massage is obviously at Meephon, my GFs shop in Chalok :thumbsup: Joking aside, for some reason, Thai Massage shops in Chalok are all less expensive than Sairee and Mae Haad.

Happy diving - Tom

Thanks for all the detail tiansford Looks like DJL is the one we may go with but we might have a walk around and visit a couple of dive shops first,look at they accommodation and chat to the instructors and go from there, the motorbike i will check out as i have a walking difficult but was thinking of renting hiring or even buying one as we are in samui for 6 months though not sure how to get it to koh tao apart of freight?

Cheers doingok

Diving :

Other stuff :

Happy diving - Tom

Thanks for all the detail tiansford Looks like DJL is the one we may go with but we might have a walk around and visit a couple of dive shops first,look at they accommodation and chat to the instructors and go from there, the motorbike i will check out as i have a walking difficult but was thinking of renting hiring or even buying one as we are in samui for 6 months though not sure how to get it to koh tao apart of freight?

Cheers doingok

For the motorbike, it depends on how long you'll stay on KT - but it should be easy to have it sent from Samui to KT and it'll just be a calculation against the costs. Not sure who to call for that, but my GF sent her motorbike from Isaan to KT for around 3,000 Bhat... Bung rents for around 3000/month if I recall correctly. Someone might jump in on the typical prices, or I'll just ask Bung next week when I arrive on KT ;-) In any case, drive carefully - but I guess you know that already!

DJL is cool for diving. And the people who operate the DJL dive boat are some of the nicest, most helpful boat owners I've seen around KT.

DJL accommodations : the bungalows are very close to the beach and the party bars - it will be loud. The Silver Sands has some nice rooms in the hotel part, but more expensive. Most of the resorts give you a deal on the room for the dates where you take a diving course... Depending on your budget, check out Koh Tao Star Villas - a great place up on the hill above Sairee. It'll cost about the same as the nice hotel rooms, but your in your own apartment. Beautiful views, lovely owners, and very private. Talk to Alan and Heidi to see if it is a good fit for you (and if you want to see it, check the TV video section and the thread under the Koh Tao videos...) The only issue for you might be the steps up to the rooms. Other accommodations could be Suksamran - just past the Muay Thai boxing ring on the right. Pretty quiet, and I liked the nicer apartments just a little bit further from the road. Clean, spacious, and not next to the nightlife.

If by chance you decide to go to Chalok and stay longer, the gentleman who owns the Tropicana resort (Khun Wan) also rents rooms which are nice and have a good monthly rate (8000 - 10,000 BHT/M) so it depends on how long you stay.

Give a shout when you decide to go diving, I'll be there for Aug/Sept.

Take care, Tom

Thanks for that tom we will be there 1st October but only for a the diving,then back to koh samui as that will be our base the the 6 months so only on koh tao a week that most unless i do my AOW but have to wait and see.

Kind Regards

Paul

• 1 month later...

go to dive with the sairee cottage diving

small, friendly dive center in koh tao

ol the ather is like diving with piguine

Nice to see your first ever post on this forum and your wisdom about the Koh Tao dive community. Your shop must be the best thing since sliced bread! Your colleagues and other dive centers around Koh Tao probably love you to bits and pieces. Good luck cool.gif, you probably need it. jap.gif

Nice to see your first ever post on this forum and your wisdom about the Koh Tao dive community. Your shop must be the best thing since sliced bread! Your colleagues and other dive centers around Koh Tao probably love you to bits and pieces. Good luck cool.gif, you probably need it. jap.gif

money is tight all over had lots of good deal offered but yours was not one of them?going to go and have a look and a chat before we decide so we have 3 in mind that i have read about and they offered us a deals

bubble bubble bubble

Doingok, who are you referring to, dimfo or me? I would imagine dimfo, since I'm not located on KT.

The way I read it Doingok did mean you and I have to say I can see why! Your little rant accusing the guys at Sairee Cottage Divers, who IMO do run a good show and are a bit different to your mainstream shops on the island, of self promotion really was not one of your usually rather smooth posts.

Doingok, who are you referring to, dimfo or me? I would imagine dimfo, since I'm not located on KT.

The way I read it Doingok did mean you and I have to say I can see why! Your little rant accusing the guys at Sairee Cottage Divers, who IMO do run a good show and are a bit different to your mainstream shops on the island, of self promotion really was not one of your usually rather smooth posts.

With all due respect snorkelador, if somebody shows up on a forum with his very post ever, telling how good they are and talking down other shops, that's not 'net etiquette' and doesn't help a thread with useful or interesting information. For posters like that, on any board, I have no compassion and rather see them disapaer as quickly as they surface.

Hope this clarifies my original comment.

With all due respect snorkelador, if somebody shows up on a forum with his very post ever, telling how good they are and talking down other shops, that's not 'net etiquette' and doesn't help a thread with useful or interesting information. For posters like that, on any board, I have no compassion and rather see them disapaer as quickly as they surface.

Completely agree that this post was not very helpful at all. All I'm saying is that trying to imply that it was posted by the dive center in question itself, to me is not following netiquette either. I would rather call that bad style, unless of course you somehow know something we don't. My guess is that's what Doingok was getting at with his post, but I could be wrong.

Completely agree that this post was not very helpful at all. All I'm saying is that trying to imply that it was posted by the dive center in question itself, to me is not following netiquette either. I would rather call that bad style, unless of course you somehow know something we don't. My guess is that's what Doingok was getting at with his post, but I could be wrong.

yeh guys all i was wanting is feed back from people that have dived that these places and my comment was just pointing out that cash is hard to come by even on tao and that people who own or work in a place what you to go they to spend your money, put i guess that is all over the world that the min as i have some good deals from many though not sairee cottage diving? is they must not need the cash.

Fair enough point.

Looks like doingok was referring to the other poster after all.

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Have you already done your course or are you going to do it? If so, whom with and for how much?

Might be helpfull info for others.

me and the wife are not going to tao till 1st october but some of the price's have dropped a little but its the deal's on accommodation and food/drink vouchers that look ok deals djl offer 400 baht per day per person.but we have a number of dive centres but we need the find out were and what we want.i.e quiet or party and being kept up all night we like to party now and then but like to sleep to lol.

I'm not a dive center owner

After spending many years travel in Thailand first time 2001

I learned to do a dive and I understand what's going on with dive centers

Now when I'm not advertising for you what to do

but the truth is said diving centers with small groups are preferable to the other major falling from the craft like a penguin

I'm not a dive center owner

After spending many years travel in Thailand first time 2001

I learned to do a dive and I understand what's going on with dive centers

Now when I'm not advertising for you what to do

but the truth is said diving centers with small groups are preferable to the other major falling from the craft like a penguin

that is the problem if i post first time and because I wrote my opinion

Hi Paul,

Have you already done your course or are you going to do it? If so, whom with and for how much?

Might be helpfull info for others.

me and the wife are not going to tao till 1st october but some of the price's have dropped a little but its the deal's on accommodation and food/drink vouchers that look ok deals djl offer 400 baht per day per person.but we have a number of dive centres but we need the find out were and what we want.i.e quiet or party and being kept up all night we like to party now and then but like to sleep to lol.

It might have helped to be a bit more specific in your question and state that first and foremost you are looking for the cheapest possible deal, followed by an acceptable outfit for that kinda money. I mean free accommodation with a course seems to be common, but food and drink vouchers? I thought you could only trick a few young backpackers, coming from or heading to the full moon party, still needing to tick the "get yer PADI done" off the list, before maxing out daddies credit card and investing the last cash in cheap booze, into those amazing deals. I would also recommended having a look around the island and talking with / observing a few operators before you decide for one.