Pheu Thai Aims To Sweep The Northeast

webfact

GENERAL ELECTION

Pheu Thai aims to sweep the Northeast

By SOMROUTAI SAPSOMBOON

THE NATION

The Pheu Thai Party is aiming to win a landslide in the Northeast while grabbing a chunk of seats in Bangkok to secure victory. The Democrats, meanwhile, are putting much effort into retaining MP seats they hold in Bangkok.

Pheu Thai's number-1 party-list candidate Yingluck Shinawatra is working hard on the party's campaign in the Northeast - to get the most seats and make its dream of winning a landslide come true.

Yingluck's visit to the region is the second of the campaign, although this time she is touring the lower Northeast after going to the upper Northeast previously.

Pheu Thai sources, who asked not to be named, said Yingluck's brother Thaksin, the party's de facto leader, had told senior members to change its strategy - and aim to win more than the latest target of 100 out of the 126 seats in the region.

"The Northeast is already our vote base, but we cannot say how many seats we will win this time," deputy party leader Kanawat Wasinsungworn said.

He listed the factors promoting Pheu Thai in the Northeast: "First, we have outstanding policies, especially credit cards for farmers. Second, we are promoting the right person - Yingluck, who will draws lots of votes. Third, many key men from our party, including Chalerm Yoobamrung, are very active in the election campaign."

Pheu Thai hoped to get the most seats in the upper Northeast, the lower North and Bangkok to ensure a landslide victory, Kanawat said.

"We expect at least 15 (out of 33) Bangkok MP seats. If we win more than that, it will mean we will win a landslide too. If we can get up to 22 seats, we can reach 270-280 MP seats as a whole," he said.

"Bangkok is a battlefield for every party. It is the most difficult for Pheu Thai to win. If we win only half of the province, that would confirm victory."

He said the Democrats' failure to solve economic problems was Pheu Thai's opportunity. He did not believe the violence in April and May last year would be an obstacle for Pheu Thai in Bangkok.

"Our duty is to clarify the truth. People will understand," he said.

On the Democrats' side, the party's key members including chief adviser Chuan Leekpai are helping their candidates campaign in Bangkok.

In the last election, Democrats grabbed 30 out of 36 seats in the capital. But the total number of MP constituencies this time has been reduced to 33.

A key Democrat member, who asked not to be named, said the Democrats were giving all they've got to keep the Bangkok stronghold.

"It's okay if we lose in the provinces but can keep Bangkok MP seats. But if we lose both in Bangkok and the provinces, that's not good. We have to try at least to win most Bangkok seats," he said.

Democrat strategist Korbsak Sabhavasu agreed that Bangkok - as the capital - was a strategic area. However, trends in popularity were vulnerable. It was hard to predict who would win in Bangkok.

"The election result must be considered from all over the country, not a particular area. All areas are important. Democracy is everywhere, not just in Bangkok," he said.

"All must accept the election result and must not blame others. It is for the Election Commission to say who cheats. The election result is final. If a party wins a majority of House seats, that's it. But if none, it depends on the MPs' votes to decide who will form the government," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-08

We'll see what happens on the 3rd of July, but PT seems to be doing much better than anyone anticipated. I had thought that putting Yingluck in the PM slot & the Redshirt leaders on the Party List would be a disaster for them, but it seems to be working. My take on it is that the Thaksinista faithfuls are reassured by the sight of someone close to the Dear Leader leading their party, while others are swept up by the concept of having Thailand's first female PM. As for the Red Party List MPs, well I guess it's been long enough since Bangkok was burning for them to be forgiven!

We'll see what happens on the 3rd of July, but PT seems to be doing much better than anyone anticipated. I had thought that putting Yingluck in the PM slot & the Redshirt leaders on the Party List would be a disaster for them, but it seems to be working. My take on it is that the Thaksinista faithfuls are reassured by the sight of someone close to the Dear Leader leading their party, while others are swept up by the concept of having Thailand's first female PM. As for the Red Party List MPs, well I guess it's been long enough since Bangkok was burning for them to be forgiven!

clean sweep I'd guess