If Thaksin Was A Chicken, The Thai Military Would Be The Egg

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME

A vicious cycle that will likely keep spinning

By Tulsathit Taptim

30157252-01.JPG

If Thaksin Shinawatra was a chicken, the Thai military would be the egg.

That's the bad news. Worse news is, we have gone way past "who came first?" - the divisive question that brought us our misery and to which whatever answer you think you have, doesn't matter. We still see no light at the end of the tunnel. The question of the hour is: Who will come after July 3?

In other words, the paradox and all its implications will still plague our country's future. Forget the promised computer tablets, or income guarantee, or farmers' credit cards, or the economic index, or how the "drug war" should be waged. These are mere props on the stage, intended to give the upcoming poll some semblance of a democratic contest. The two big political possibilities looming over us after the election will both have little to do with them. Either Thaksin will be poised for a grand return, or the element that sent him into exile manages to keep him that way.

There are other possibilities. The Democrats might still win it against all odds, particularly if the vast number of "undecided" voters in Bangkok wake up on July 3 feeling pity for Abhisit Vejjajiva. Or a narrow Pheu Thai victory would either kill its chances of forming a government or, if not, delay its "blanket amnesty" plan. Or an "alternative prime minister" may be appointed for the sake of national reconciliation, in which case the amnesty scheme, Thaksin's virtual ticket home, would be put on the backburner.

But even those lesser scenarios stemmed from the ultimate Thaksin-military impasse, which has blocked Thailand's positive political progress and created sub-plots that are no less destructive and help feed the dilemma. Thais will go to the poll fed with rhetoric from both sides but knowing deep down in their hearts that whatever decision they make, it will still be far from over.

For all Yingluck Shinawatra's friendly character and unprovocative silence, and Army chief Prayuth Chan-o-cha's attempts to avoid discussing his future, this political race will be influenced by fears of Thaksin's homecoming on one side and the military's intervention in politics on the other. When Yingluck said over the weekend she was ready to pay a courtesy call on Prayuth and "seek his advice", she sounded sincere enough, but the remark inadvertently brought home the unpleasant image of the Thai military.

The anti-Thaksin camp, meanwhile, is charging that he, again, is trying to abuse an electoral mandate. The amnesty will not only allow Thaksin to come home, it is alleged, but it's also part of his "four-step" plot to return as prime minister. With Pheu Thai proposing the amnesty during its election campaign, the party could argue that bringing him back was a deal with the voters. That, however, would only serve to strengthen the impression that the election was being used to absolve one man.

Will it be deja vu all over again? Samak Sundaravej crashed and burnt soon after hinting at a charter amendment to help Thaksin. Will the yellow shirts be as strong, ideological and committed if Yingluck starts putting things in place for her brother's amnesty? They have dwindled in numbers and it's not very clear where their allegiance now lies. In addition, the movement has declared that Thaksin from now on would be the "Democrats' problem".

So, we can more or less take the yellow shirts out of the equation, out of their own free will, so to speak. This leaves Thaksin and the military. We have tried to figure out who is worse and have emerged a train wreck ourselves. Remedy may lie in the natural way people act when the original chicken or egg puzzle does their heads in. They stop thinking about it.

Easier said than done, of course. We need big help from both sides to move beyond this destructive paradox. If the military is determined to block Pheu Thai's rise to power at whatever cost, it will never end. Nor will it if Pheu Thai is hell-bent on giving Thaksin amnesty. How about the military letting democracy run its course no matter what happens on July 3 and Thaksin forgetting about his "vindication"?

Easier said than done, again. After all, sacrifice and selflessness are the most common political pledges that are always broken, even before people say them. But if the "chicken" and the "egg" of the Thai impasse both want to be there after July 3, they will destroy, not fix, and "reconciliation" will remain as elusive as ever. That much is certain, regardless of whom begat whom.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-08

and "reconciliation" will remain as elusive as ever

Reconciliation is quite simply impossible as long as the divisive elements remain. Granting them amnesty can hardly be called an attempt at peace. In fact, it will remove our only chance at peace.

If we want the people of Thailand to reconcile and heal, we first have to remove the source(s) of the infection. That begins with the man in Montenegro. There may be others that also need to be culled, but if we can't even get rid of the obvious one, how are we going to find the elusive ones that remain in the shadows?

Reconciliation begins with very long jail terms for all transgressors.

very good article..................just about sums it up! without the army there will be no coups............without Thaksin there will be no need for the army to bring about coups. Of course the main point and the one that makes me personally anti thaksin is,,,,,,,,,Does one man have the right to control the masses by bribing poor people into voting for him? Thats the key question............The people dont want Thaksin they want his handouts!!! For him to manipulate the situation on that basis shows his devisive mentality and his despotism and his megalomania. Stay out of thailand Mr thaksin..........let the country find a government to help them..........not a single man to manipulate them.

I suspect they is not just 4 steps to Thaksins plans, but 5-8 exist in his fever ego and they don't stop at simply Being PM again.

More along the lines of classical Chinese Style Dynasty Building.

And I think this is the crux of the Army vs Thaksin impass, he made several moves far to soon in his grand plan,

and gave the army motive and cause to remove his malevolence from the national situation. Sadly he acted very 'un-Thai' and didn't melt into the background as most 'disgraced, fallen Thais in exile' do upon returning.

And there's the rub, all others either stayed gone, or retired and clipped coupons for twenty years before commenting publicly on politics. Thus few were prepared to deal with his aggressiveness of the last 2 years. Since few expected it to happen, no historical precedent for it. I doubt if he steps on Thai soil again they will sit idly and let him take over via cash and manipulation.

We likely enter dangerous times next month

Edited by animatic

very good article..................just about sums it up! without the army there will be no coups............without Thaksin there will be no need for the army to bring about coups. Of course the main point and the one that makes me personally anti thaksin is,,,,,,,,,Does one man have the right to control the masses by bribing poor people into voting for him? Thats the key question............The people dont want Thaksin they want his handouts!!! For him to manipulate the situation on that basis shows his devisive mentality and his despotism and his megalomania. Stay out of thailand Mr thaksin..........let the country find a government to help them..........not a single man to manipulate them.

There were an awful lot of coups in Thailand long before Thaksin. 19 military coups from 1932-2006?

Thaksin aside -If the military are not happy with the 3rd July election results there will not doubt be yet another coup.

I usually don't like Tulsathit's writing but this one does push forward some uncomfortable truths .....

July 3rd and the 1-2 weeks after will be "interesting times" in the Chinese curse meaning ...

Quite simple for Pheu Thai if they want to govern. Govern to the constitution with democratic intent, and leave Thaksin in exile...or in a thai prison doing his two years plus additional charges...his choice. Do that and the good general will not bother the democratic process.

This is the very core of the problem and until this is sorted out no policies for the good of the people of Thailand will ever work out in the long term. Fix this and the rest will fall into place...Say's me

Edited by MILT

Chickens, and birds in general, evolved from early reptiles. As reptiles lay eggs then obviously the egg came before the chicken.

Similarly the Thai army were have regular coups and interfering in politics long before Thaksin arrived on the scene.

Ate at KFT one time. The chicken was bland and extremely expensive and the portions were very small.. Seemed like everyone in his kitchen were quite happy and full though. I got a free toy so will certainly be back for more!

Chickens, and birds in general, evolved from early reptiles. As reptiles lay eggs then obviously the egg came before the chicken.

Similarly the Thai army were have regular coups and interfering in politics long before Thaksin arrived on the scene.

Did a reptile lay a chicken egg?

It laid an egg which became another reptile with slight avian attributes, over generations the avian attributes became more pronounced. Eventually a generation were sufficiently different from reptiles to be reclassified as birds, some birds evolved into chickens.

Yes I know this is over simplified. If you want more details start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_birds

It laid an egg which became another reptile with slight avian attributes, over generations the avian attributes became more pronounced. Eventually a generation were sufficiently different from reptiles to be reclassified as birds, some birds evolved into chickens.

Yes I know this is over simplified. If you want more details start here: http://en.wikipedia....lution_of_birds

If you fried a

Pterodactyl egg, would it taste like chicken?huh.gif

Edited by FOODLOVER

Yes I know this is over simplified. If you want more details start here: http://en.wikipedia....lution_of_birds

If you fried a

Pterodactyl egg, would it taste like chicken?huh.gif

Well if I find one which is not petrified I will let you know :lol:

However I have eaten crocodile eggs which are from related clades, they tasted similar. I have also eaten filleted frog legs and thought it was chicken until told otherwise.

So the simple answer is yes, I think a Pterodactyl egg, would taste like chicken egg, probably with the same level of difference as a duck or quail egg.

If not for the 1932 coup, Thailand would have nothing like democracy for Thaksin (among many others) to pervert... so it was the 'egg' which begat the 'chicken'...:rolleyes:

There were an awful lot of coups in Thailand long before Thaksin. 19 military coups from 1932-2006?

Thaksin aside -If the military are not happy with the 3rd July election results there will not doubt be yet another coup.

I totally agree with you..................my opint is that Thaksin is giving the army a very good excuse to bring about a coup if he returns to thai politics in Thailand. If he had the sense to distance himself from it all the Pheu Thai would have a much better chance of forming a Government - but an ego like Thaksins cannot accept him in anything but the middle of it all. My own view - the army is wrong to go against the will of the people but they are RIGHT to prevent a deposed criminal dictator from regaining power.

maybe it laid a reptile egg which took 170 million years to evolve - a bit like democracy in Thailand

I totally agree with you..................my opint is that Thaksin is giving the army a very good excuse to bring about a coup if he returns to thai politics in Thailand. If he had the sense to distance himself from it all the Pheu Thai would have a much better chance of forming a Government - but an ego like Thaksins cannot accept him in anything but the middle of it all. My own view - the army is wrong to go against the will of the people but they are RIGHT to prevent a deposed criminal dictator from regaining power.

Especially when he has so much money that he can actually hornswaggle a portion of the electorate into making it appear he is their choice, but based on false premises and promises.

Quite simple for Pheu Thai if they want to govern. Govern to the constitution with democratic intent, and leave Thaksin in exile...or in a thai prison doing his two years plus additional charges...his choice. Do that and the good general will not bother the democratic process.

They cannot do this because Thaksin is part of a Global master plan to destabilise world governments (Egypt, Tunsia, Libya, Syria, Yemen) and what is happening in Thailand parallels actions in these other countries. We are living in dangerous times as those with power in the world only have to manipulate the masses not only to gain power but to have total control. Thailand is just one of the staging posts. If we were to be more graphic about these world events - I would say we are living in the middle of (at the start of perhaps) World War III. Thaksin and his cohortsare very dangerous men. They stop at nothing including shooting their own pepole with black clad snipers and manipulating the media to make it appear that legitimate goverments are behind these murders. Even events on the Cambodia border are linked to this massive attempt at destabilising Thailand. When people tell me that Farangs should not be involved I say, I live in this world and I do not want to live in a world controlled by these evil men.

After reading the story carefully i have come to the conclusion that he means many eggs not just one giant square egg. But even then how many eggs can one chicken produce. Impossible by any professional egg producing chicken on her best day. Even if you computed his weight, scientifically i would say around 57 chickens =T figure out an egg or 2 a day and you have ......20,805-41,610 eggs on the high end anually........ not enough! Impossible! What if the egg is square? What then? Triple or even quadruple the egg laying time restriction for producing military hatchlings. Somethings run a fowl!

Edited by FOODLOVER

They cannot do this because Thaksin is part of a Global master plan to destabilise world governments (Egypt, Tunsia, Libya, Syria, Yemen) and what is happening in Thailand parallels actions in these other countries. We are living in dangerous times as those with power in the world only have to manipulate the masses not only to gain power but to have total control. Thailand is just one of the staging posts. If we were to be more graphic about these world events - I would say we are living in the middle of (at the start of perhaps) World War III. Thaksin and his cohortsare very dangerous men. They stop at nothing including shooting their own pepole with black clad snipers and manipulating the media to make it appear that legitimate goverments are behind these murders. Even events on the Cambodia border are linked to this massive attempt at destabilising Thailand. When people tell me that Farangs should not be involved I say, I live in this world and I do not want to live in a world controlled by these evil men.

ianf,I think you are a very brave man,who dares to go up against this organisation,which ,according to your knowledge and,I guess,trustworthy intelligence,has a "global masterplan" and "stops at nothing" ,including murder,to see it through!Are you not afraid,when you say,that you "do not want to live in a world controlled by these evil men",somebody will take that literally.I mean,being evil as they are,like trying to take down dictators in the countrys you mentioned and so on...?I wish you all the best in your struggle...

Are these eggs to be sold by the kilogram?

My egg to military ratio is based on units, per internationally failed analogy standards.cool.gif

All this talk about egg makes me hungry! I will go and crush some now in order to make me an omelett.