REUTERS Brings Red-Shirt Villages To Light

webfact

Foreign Media Bring Red-shirt Villages to Light

A foreign news agency has published a story on rural communities in Thailand that proclaim allegiance to the anti-government red-shirt movement and the Pheu Thai Party, raising public concern over looming violence after the election.

Reuters has published a special report on the effort of an anti-government movement in Thailand to proclaim so-called red-shirt villages in rural areas of the northeastern region.

The red-shirt villages are perceived as a new phenomenon which represents a new level of organized political movement.

Many rural communities have declared their support for the Pheu Thai Party for the election on July 3.

Reuters report used the example of Nong Hu Ling Village in Udon Thani Province where a “Red-shirt Village for Democracy” sign and a portrait of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were put up at its entrance.

Inside the village, there were t-shirts with red-shirt slogans and posters with messages against double standards in the Thai society, Bangkok aristocrats and military top brass who violated the law and were exempt from punishment.

An interview with more than ten red-shirt leaders suggested that rising popularity of Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra ahead of the July 3 poll may trigger a new round of violence if she faces unfair competition.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-06-09

footer_n.gif

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this article is saying that some kind of segregation is being proposed by some faction of the red shirt movement.

It apparently stops short of saying that but may be implying it. If it were indeed the case that these people officially wanted segregated areas based along political lines (or any other lines for that matter), that would be a very disturbing move on their part.

An interview with more than ten red-shirt leaders suggested that rising popularity of Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra ahead of the July 3 poll may trigger a new round of violence if she faces unfair competition.

Fixed.

I'm not sure if this article is saying that some kind of segregation is being proposed by some faction of the red shirt movement.

It apparently stops short of saying that but may be implying it. If it were indeed the case that these people officially wanted segregated areas based along political lines (or any other lines for that matter), that would be a very disturbing move on their part.

Well, when you're treated like second class citizens in your own country, the logical idea would be to create your own land and be treated like first class citizens. Not that I agree with it, but it's true.

Well, when you're treated like second class citizens in your own country, the logical idea would be to create your own land and be treated like first class citizens. Not that I agree with it, but it's true.

Are you suggesting that being paid by a wanted criminal to get him back into power makes you a second class citizen - if so then deservedly so. Your statement "Not that i agree with it, but its true" is on a par with Homer Simpsons "You can make facts say just about anything thats remotely true"!! Keep posting :D

Absolutely agree, good post!

There seems to be a world wide revolt against corrupt minority government keeping the wealth of the country confined to a few percent of the population.

Thailand's wealth is much too centralised on the Bangkok elite, of course the masses will eventually revolt. Read your history folks!

I fear there is much trouble ahead for Thailand, could even go the way of some Middle Eastern countries of late.

Only democracy will work in this country but the fact is the greedy few will not allow the wealth to be more evenly distributed.

The next 12 months will be critical for Thailand.

The perception that the countryside is ignored by Bangkok has been festering for several years now. It doesn't matter whether it is true or not, but this is a perception that will not go away. If this perception doesn't go away, there are quite a few countries nearby that show what can happen if the pressure on the pot is allowed to make it go bang. Whether the reds want it to go bang, I am not entirely sure, because the implications are really quite scary, but looking at the way the Dems are trying to court the countryside with their policies, they are trying more than ever. The problem I fear is that it is too little too late.

begin removed ...

They otherwise know absolutely nothing of what Abbhisit, representing the 'old establishment' actually stand for, given that they've been 'in' for two years, and , done sod all. Lots and LOTS of words, but as yet no action. None.

... end removed

The PM Abhisit government has been 'in' for 2-1/2 years. During many months they have been almost under siege by protesters, violent thugs and terrorists, and of course those peace-loving UDD members and other red-shirts. Furthermore every move the government tried to make was delayed by the PTP opposition questioning every single letter in a new law, measure (can the gov. do this, can they do this now, shouldn't at least a few more courts rule on the legality, etc., etc.) It's almost a miracle the government got anything done.

... interesting ... put enough Red-shirt Villages together, and they start looking as their own country, eh?

... sort of like ... well ... the South of Thailand?

... there has been a fundamental change in this country, affecting millions of previously disenfranchised Thais ... a tipping point has been reached, and this election and Thai politics now (and forever) will be as never before.

... the indicators are all there ... a bit scary, actually.

Edited by swillowbee

Perhaps it shows just how effective the manipulative propaganda and training camps of the globally funded Red movement has been. These poor farmers are easily manipulated and believe you me, they'll all be dumped like hot bricks the moment the Thaksin movement takes control. Do you really believe that Thaksin could have done all this on his own? Or have you too come to the realisation that the events here in Thailand are part of a Global campaign which includes countries such as Egypt and Libya?

There seems to be a world wide revolt against corrupt minority government keeping the wealth of the country confined to a few percent of the population.

Thailand's wealth is much too centralised on the Bangkok elite, of course the masses will eventually revolt. Read your history folks!

I fear there is much trouble ahead for Thailand, could even go the way of some Middle Eastern countries of late.

Only democracy will work in this country but the fact is the greedy few will not allow the wealth to be more evenly distributed.

You have absolutely no idea. Comparing the Middle Eastern mindset with that of the Thai. Absolutely NONE.

Edited by krangeek

Perhaps it shows just how effective the manipulative propaganda and training camps of the globally funded Red movement has been. These poor farmers are easily manipulated and believe you me, they'll all be dumped like hot bricks the moment the Thaksin movement takes control. Do you really believe that Thaksin could have done all this on his own? Or have you too come to the realisation that the events here in Thailand are part of a Global campaign which includes countries such as Egypt and Libya?

Under Weng they have been working hard, right out of the Mao playbook.

In someways they are using Thaksin or believe they are, or at least want to badly, but in reality if they get a win it's a Thaksin win and the gains they imagine will come, will shortly evaporate. Vaporware of the worst kind.

But the seeds of their dispair will continue and the Maoist structures and theory will stay rooted, it's the late 60's - 70's all over again, and with the likely outcome as before, but seen more clearly on a wider stage.

Edited by animatic

The ONLY Thais I know will only vote for Abbhisit because of their perception of his being closer to The King than Taksin/Yingluk.

They otherwise know absolutely nothing of what Abbhisit, representing the 'old establishment' actually stand for, given that they've been 'in' for two years, and , done sod all. Lots and LOTS of words, but as yet no action. None.

Fact is they vote for the old boss, or stick with the 'new'. Who's done sweet sod all, despite his honeyed words and mile long excuses as to that, in effect, he's been hamstrung by the the 'coalition'/? For TWO years? He had to acquiesce once er, elected. But parliament. Same Taksin's many proxies. Wimp.

I personally loathe him as much as the former incumbent. And I do believe that the, at least .poorer Thais deserve better.

Maybe they know so little about him because they only listen to the local radio and listen to their neighbours.

You have absolutely no idea. Comparing the Middle Eastern mindset with that of the Thai. Absolutely NONE.

I think you should do some research before you embarass yourself with statements like the above. :rolleyes:

Can't compare Thailand with the Middle East mind set? Where do you think these revolutions started? is your memory that short?

"The campaign platforms of both sides are trying to deal with Thailand's widening wealth gap. The richest 20 percent of Thais earn 55 percent of the country's wealth. That figure is close to Tunisia's, the epicentre of the "Arab spring" uprisings, where the top fifth take in 47 percent of the wealth, according to World Bank statistics."

Source: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/07/uk-thailandelection-idUKTRE75614C20110607

Fixed.

:cheesy:

I think you should do some research before you embarass yourself with statements like the above. :rolleyes:

Can't compare Thailand with the Middle East mind set? Where do you think these revolutions started? is your memory that short?

"The campaign platforms of both sides are trying to deal with Thailand's widening wealth gap. The richest 20 percent of Thais earn 55 percent of the country's wealth. That figure is close to Tunisia's, the epicentre of the "Arab spring" uprisings, where the top fifth take in 47 percent of the wealth, according to World Bank statistics."

Source: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/07/uk-thailandelection-idUKTRE75614C20110607

The statistics may indicate a same level of wealth gap, but it doesn't address an underlaying mindset. Read the article and find something similar on Tunesia. Different ideas, different approaches.

In someways they are using Thaksin or believe they are, or at least want to badly, but in reality if they get a win it's a Thaksin win and the gains they imagine will come, will shortly evaporate. Vaporware of the worst kind.

But the seeds of their dispair will continue and the Maoist structures and theory will stay rooted, it's the late 60's - 70's all over again, and with the likely outcome as before, but seen more clearly on a wider stage.

The scary thing is that all the ingredients are there for it to happen, but it didn't happen overnight. The attempts to repeatedly tell the rural population that they should be happy with their lot in life have failed dismally. The system has failed the rural population nationwide for a long time, and yet, no one thought that they might just eventually get pissed off and find a way to (or be provided with) some way to create a unified voting block. All that happened was someone convinced the rural population to feel aggrieved and impatient for change. I really worry what might happen if the army doesn't like the result of the upcoming election and hold another coup.

It could become very serious very quickly.

... interesting ... put enough Red-shirt Villages together, and they start looking as their own country, eh?

... sort of like ... well ... the South of Thailand?

... there has been a fundamental change in this country, affecting millions of previously disenfranchised Thais ... a tipping point has been reached, and this election and Thai politics now (and forever) will be as never before.

... the indicators are all there ... a bit scary, actually.

include the rise in nationalism and i am with you... turbulent times ahead

<snip for brevity>

I personally loathe him as much as the former incumbent. And I do believe that the, at least .poorer Thais deserve better.

What did poor old PM-Somchai do, to upset you, so that you loathe him ? :blink: I myself thought it was his lack-of-action, as the GFC impacted upon Thailand, that showed he wasn't up-to-the-job, a common failing amongst nominees. B)

I believe he did not compare the two mindsets, only stated that Thailand could (possibly) go the same way as the Middle Eastern countries, ie : implying revolt.

Now on that thought : Do you think it is impossible to have a revolt in Thailand?

That this is "pushed" story not to be adressed in particular, what does this group of people from the northeastern villages, this ONE out of 80.000 other Tambons expect?

Even as Migrantworkers in far away other provinces, they stick with themselves, eat in their (imported) eateries, their particular regional foodstuffs and dishes, speak their (lao) dialect and do not mingle with the locals, some locals here on the island of samui frown upon this, whilst at the same time one can read stories like this one, published by Reuters, that they feel like "2nd Class citizens" it's a agenda that is pushed to divide the country and provoke more "social upheaval" by whom, for what gain?

And this is the very dangerous side of the story!

By someone who fled the law, who claims that everything is a "set-up" throught puppets, against him, because he was so successful in his political and business endeavours, made only "honest mistakes" and this just made people even more envious.... yo... nice story, written by a ghostwriter!

Edited by Samuian

I believe he did not compare the two mindsets, only stated that Thailand could (possibly) go the same way as the Middle Eastern countries, ie : implying revolt.

Now on that thought : Do you think it is impossible to have a revolt in Thailand?

From my own perspective, I think that the signs are there for something big going down in the next year or two. :ermm:

And, I would say that the Thai social system is the nearest thing to 'apartheid' I have ever experienced outside of SA.

Mindset is a big difference though, the Arabs are generally more likely to revolt than the Thais who generally don't like conflict, right?

:jap:

Personally, I feel that Thais are too accepting of the gross imbalance in society. Just look at how differently a security guard treats a guy in a car (hi-so) compared to a guy on a motorcycle (lo-so). Even on a personal level, the Thais discriminate more than what is acceptable to me, and it is ingrained in their culture. Remember; the people who are wealthy are so as a result of good deeds in past life, and the poor are so because of bad deeds.

Logically, I see things changing... and soon. But, Thai logic is a mystery to confound.:blink:

Edited by SAffer

That this is "pushed" story not to be adressed in particular, what does this group of people from the northeastern villages, this ONE out of 80.000 other Tambons expect?

Even as Migrantworkers in far away other provinces, they stick with themselves, eat in their (imported) eateries, their particular regional foodstuffs and dishes, speak their (lao) dialect and do not mingle with the locals, some locals here on the island of samui frown upon this, whilst at the same time one can read stories like this one, published by Reuters, that they feel like "2nd Class citizens" it's a agenda that is pushed to divide the country and provoke more "social upheaval" by whom, for what gain?

And this is the very dangerous side of the story!

By someone who fled the law, who claims that everything is a "set-up" throught puppets, against him, because he was so successful in his political and business endeavours, made only "honest mistakes" and this just made people even more envious.... yo... nice story, written by a ghostwriter!

When you read stories like this, it brings to mind the man that was dragged from his car and killed in Chiang Mai.

Having read the replies I'm glad I posted a link to the full article and people have taken time to read it. What were poor, uneducated farmers have now become poor, more educated farmers. I'm not going to get into the ways and means of money given to villages, waste of time as that fat has been chewed enough but they can now touch the outside world via mobile phones and internet. The Thai people are bought up not to question the teacher and accept all they are told as fact. This has now changed due to the increase of communication methods.

I do hope that the elections and resulting days are peaceful for my family and friends here in Thailand.

Please, if you are going to reply about "Will be if the Red/Yellow hordes behave" don't. As I have said, the fat has been chewed and personal opinions on the subject have reached my boredom threshold. I welcome intelligent discussion and argument but not diatribe.

Fact is they vote for the old boss, or stick with the 'new'. Who's done sweet sod all, despite his honeyed words and mile long excuses as to that, in effect, he's been hamstrung by the the 'coalition'/? For TWO years? He had to acquiesce once er, elected. But parliament. Same Taksin's many proxies. Wimp.

I am sorry that you are unaware of what the dems have accomplished whilst in office .... that doesn't make your claim of "None." There have been threads and discussions on what has been done over the last 2 years ... as well as the censure debates. The thing that is actually true is that the Dems have accomplished more than the PPP governments did :) The PPP only had one thing on its plate (not helping people, and not running the country) and that was whitewashing Thaksin. They failed at even that. The last 2 years have seen the current government managing to actually deal with the impact of the global economic crisis, and minimize the effects of the global downturn on the people of Thailand. They have increased spending upcountry. etc etc etc ....

Strangely the Thai people I know are aware of it ... then again maybe they are just aware :)

Edit --- first 2 lines of the quoted post removed --- re metisdead's post.

Edited by jdinasia

The scary thing is that all the ingredients are there for it to happen, but it didn't happen overnight. The attempts to repeatedly tell the rural population that they should be happy with their lot in life have failed dismally. The system has failed the rural population nationwide for a long time, and yet, no one thought that they might just eventually get pissed off and find a way to (or be provided with) some way to create a unified voting block. All that happened was someone convinced the rural population to feel aggrieved and impatient for change. I really worry what might happen if the army doesn't like the result of the upcoming election and hold another coup.

In my rural area the "elite" are qualified workers (third generation of Bhumipon Dam workers,) They work in Libya, Quatar. Algeria etc). They have international experience. Basic English, international food (Arabian and Italian and other farang food.) The Dems don't put party boards, they know the "elite" will vote for them.

"Elite" means when you understand a little bit more than reading and writing, you are part of them.

"Rural population nationwide has failed"?" In Thaksin's countries, yes.

Nothing "scary" about this, it's being pushed by the "nice guy" what you think his pictures are all over with the "red shirt" movement?

Its entirley HIS hand shuffling the cards and the handfull of "Nut'a what's", stirring up sleepy Somchai in the woods..cause they are getting paid to do so, telling them that there is "something wrong".... and of course his money and sweet talk, but remember when this man makes it back it will certainly be a lot scarier then right now or ever has been!

But never mind the "Revolution" never happened!

From my own perspective, I think that the signs are there for something big going down in the next year or two. :ermm:

And, I would say that the Thai social system is the nearest thing to 'apartheid' I have ever experienced outside of SA.

Mindset is a big difference though, the Arabs are generally more likely to revolt than the Thais who generally don't like conflict, right?

:jap:

Personally, I feel that Thais are too accepting of the gross imbalance in society. Just look at how differently a security guard treats a guy in a car (hi-so) compared to a guy on a motorcycle (lo-so). Even on a personal level, the Thais discriminate more than what is acceptable to me, and it is ingrained in their culture. Remember; the people who are wealthy are so as a result of good deeds in past life, and the poor are so because of bad deeds.

Logically, I see things changing... and soon. But, Thai logic is a mystery to confound.:blink:

Believe it or not, NOTHING much will change and if so, HOW?

It's "da man" pushing from behind... yinluck confesses "I am not working for Thaksin", no, but the villages featured in the Reuters Article are brimming with PT election billboards with HIS face on it!

If not, then why his face - why are all these lies? Who are they really going to cheat and utilize for what, isn't she a Hi-So Superincome Manager at some development company - SC Assets?

Yeah "social justice" - "democracy is not my goal!" remember?

It's just about greed.

The Bangkok elite have been too greedy and the poor are now angry.

In bangkok you get charged international prices for products provided by workers on

$8/day. Of course they are pissed of and when they protest the elite shoot them and then label

them as terrorists just as middle eastern dictators blame everything on terrorism. It's all pretty par for the course.

The big mistake is to assume that you can get away with it forever. The elite have to share the cake out more fairly or suffer the inevitable consequencies. They wont do that of course because their arrogance wont allow them to see what's happening.