Chiangmai To Pattaya

Tonto21

I've now done this route 3 times by road, and planning to do it again next week.

I have a question for those who do this trip……Which way do you go? I've done it 3 times, and done 3 different routes.

So I'm hoping to get the definitive route….Anyone?

Edited by Tonto21

Are you talking by driving ? I drive it a few times a month. Highway 11 out of town, Catch Highway 1 south through Tak. Signs will have you join into Highway 32 that is quicker than sticking on Highway 1. I take the Toll route (in my car or truck, you can not on a motorbike) Highway 9 to the new airport and Route 7 from there. Good ride with plenty of fuel and food stops along the way. The quickest I have found. 50 KM north of Tak watch out for the Pirates that try to rob you. All dress in uniform who want whiskey money to help them keep their strengh up all night robbing motorist for no reason.

Are you talking by driving ? I drive it a few times a month. Highway 11 out of town, Catch Highway 1 south through Tak. Signs will have you join into Highway 32 that is quicker than sticking on Highway 1. I take the Toll route (in my car or truck, you can not on a motorbike) Highway 9 to the new airport and Route 7 from there. Good ride with plenty of be fuel and food stops along the way. The quickest I have found. 50 KM north of Tak watch out for the Pirates that try to rob you. All dress in uniform who want whiskey money to help them keep their strengh up all night robbing motorist for no reason.

Thank 'JeffreyMcCollum' Looks good! I'll look at this route. As for the pirates, yes, I've never completed the trip yet without getting 'boarded' and me treasure chest groped, wanke_rs the lot of them! Thanks again.

Edited by Tonto21

Are you talking by driving ? I drive it a few times a month. Highway 11 out of town, Catch Highway 1 south through Tak. Signs will have you join into Highway 32 that is quicker than sticking on Highway 1. I take the Toll route (in my car or truck, you can not on a motorbike) Highway 9 to the new airport and Route 7 from there. Good ride with plenty of be fuel and food stops along the way. The quickest I have found. 50 KM north of Tak watch out for the Pirates that try to rob you. All dress in uniform who want whiskey money to help them keep their strengh up all night robbing motorist for no reason.

Thank 'JeffreyMcCollum' Looks good! I'll look at this route. As for the pirates, yes, I've never completed the trip yet without getting 'boarded' and me treasure chest groped, wanke_rs the lot of them! Thanks again.

Just as a 'Heads Up' - Although Highway 1 between Lampang and Tak has been improved dues to roadworks. These still continue with 'Contra-flow' in some places.

Betweek Tak - Kampaeng Phet - Nakhon Sawan... the road is still is in very poor condition in many places.

Just as a 'Heads Up' - Although Highway 1 between Lampang and Tak has been improved dues to roadworks. These still continue with 'Contra-flow' in some places.

Betweek Tak - Kampaeng Phet - Nakhon Sawan... the road is still is in very poor condition in many places.

'Rodger that' cheers!

Theres a older Thai Man that is at the Pattaya Expats club functions, he sells stickers for you car that he claims ward off these pesky pirates, has anyone bought one of these 1,000 baht stickers and checked if his claim is true or not.

I always go wrong around the Ayuthayya intersection when heading towards Bangkok.

Can anyone tell me what road to take to avoid Bangkok and head to the airport road, I always end up going through Bangkok.

I am sure that others may have more effective directions but for me - Once I see the last (think that tts the third) Tesco Lotus go by on the other side of the dual carriage way plus I start to see Ayuthaya signposted, I start to concentrate. I keep thinking have to go LEFT on Highway 9 Ring Road.

The overhead Green sign for the ring road Highway 9 comes up pretty quick so i slow down and keep left. At this point there is no sign for Suvanabhumi. The fraffic filters left and have to take care as just before the correct tun left is another minor left turn When I have not concentrating I have actually turned onto this road but not the end of the world as possible to do a U-Turn.. go back and thn take the correct left.

Once you do turn left - Stay sharp as there is traffic filtering in from the right.. Go straight on. you will know that you are on the correct road as their is an ESSO Petrol station with KFC on the left. Perhaps 1 Kilometre, maybe a little more on this frontage road and you will see the sign for the airport indicate where to turn left onto Higway 9 on to Suvanabhumi. This road is a sharp right turn which goes up and over the main road.

All and all its a pretty hairy couple of minutes but sure beats the hell out of driving through Bangkok. Naturally it woul help to have an additional sgnpost to the airport on the main road before the Highway 9 junction - but there you go.

Good luck

I always go wrong around the Ayuthayya intersection when heading towards Bangkok.

Can anyone tell me what road to take to avoid Bangkok and head to the airport road, I always end up going through Bangkok.

before BKK on Highway 32. Just after the weight station is the blue (toll) sign for Highway 9 as well as a small Pattaya sign. I think it is near the 3 or was that 13 km sign post ??? But you can't mis the weight station down there.

Are you talking by driving ? I drive it a few times a month. Highway 11 out of town, Catch Highway 1 south through Tak. Signs will have you join into Highway 32 that is quicker than sticking on Highway 1. I take the Toll route (in my car or truck, you can not on a motorbike) Highway 9 to the new airport and Route 7 from there. Good ride with plenty of fuel and food stops along the way. The quickest I have found. 50 KM north of Tak watch out for the Pirates that try to rob you. All dress in uniform who want whiskey money to help them keep their strengh up all night robbing motorist for no reason.

how many hours does it take to drive to pattaya?

rick

how many hours does it take to drive to pattaya?

rick

before BKK on Highway 32. Just after the weight station is the blue (toll) sign for Highway 9 as well as a small Pattaya sign. I think it is near the 3 or was that 13 km sign post ??? But you can't mis the weight station down there.

Thanks Jeff and Gladiator, I'm sure I've missed it many times as I always end up in different parts of Bangkok! fortunately I konw my way around there.

Rick, I've done the drive in 12 hours but a Thai guy I work with who lives there regularly does it in 8 (at 140kms per hour!!)

Thanks for all the input guys, I made the trip yesterday and......best run yet, Thanks 'JeffreyMcCollum'…Spot on, and everyone else who pointed out the trouble spots.

Left Mae Taeng 0720hrs arrived 1720hrs, 10 hours, two 10 minute stops. 895Kms.

Didn't go wrong once, thanks in big part to all the advice.

Cheers Chaps!

Edited by Tonto21

What speeds were you hitting Tonto?

Hard to give an average, the first part of the trip was slower than the closing part. If I had to give some indication to speed I would say for the first part I was adverging 100kmh topping at around 120kph. However when I got on the 9, and especially the 7, I was around 120kph and hitting150kph. I was only held up at two points; Chiangmai, (40minutes) trying to get onto super highway, from mea Taeng and as soon as I tried to join Highway 9, (20 minutes) the rest was I feel very clear.

Just to note, I saw no bandits in uniform to be seen anywhere.

Edited by Tonto21

• 1 month later...

Planning to drive down to Pattaya from CM for the first time (using HW 11 to HW 1 to HW 32 to HW9 to HW7), Some questions based on the map I looked at:

1) After driving south of Nakhon Sawan on Highway 1, there seems to be a fork turning right tinto Chai Nat on HW 1 (which would be the wrong turn) and I need to keep left ( to turn left or continue) on Highway 32. From the map, it seems that HW1 continues onto HW32 here. What's the sign posting I should be looking out for here, as I don't want to make the wrong turn.

2) North of Ayuthaya, there seems to be a cross between HW32 and HW347. What's the sign post here to look out for? ("To Bangkok"?)

3) Further south, at the complex criss-crossing that takes me from HW32 to HW9, I see 2 posts above (by Gladiator and JeffreyMcCullem). Not clear whether they are both talking about the same turn off? What is the actual wording on the sign posts I should be looking for ? ("Pattaya", "Swampy", "Highway 9" ?)

4) I can do the trip on a Sunday or Monday. Is traffic much better on Sunday, or its about the same?

5) I gather above is the quickest route ?

Thanks.

Theres a older Thai Man that is at the Pattaya Expats club functions, he sells stickers for you car that he claims ward off these pesky pirates, has anyone bought one of these 1,000 baht stickers and checked if his claim is true or not.

I don't think a " Honk If You're Horny " sticker would deter the average copper.

Planning to drive down to Pattaya from CM for the first time (using HW 11 to HW 1 to HW 32 to HW9 to HW7), Some questions based on the map I looked at:

1) After driving south of Nakhon Sawan on Highway 1, there seems to be a fork turning right tinto Chai Nat on HW 1 (which would be the wrong turn) and I need to keep left ( to turn left or continue) on Highway 32. From the map, it seems that HW1 continues onto HW32 here. What's the sign posting I should be looking out for here, as I don't want to make the wrong turn.

2) North of Ayuthaya, there seems to be a cross between HW32 and HW347. What's the sign post here to look out for? ("To Bangkok"?)

3) Further south, at the complex criss-crossing that takes me from HW32 to HW9, I see 2 posts above (by Gladiator and JeffreyMcCullem). Not clear whether they are both talking about the same turn off? What is the actual wording on the sign posts I should be looking for ? ("Pattaya", "Swampy", "Highway 9" ?)

4) I can do the trip on a Sunday or Monday. Is traffic much better on Sunday, or its about the same?

5) I gather above is the quickest route ?

Thanks.

You cant go wrong if you follow the road sign's to the next town on route, Tip just before N/Sawan there a right turn that say's to BKK take it as it will save you load's. As you get to the 9 turn off it does say airport and also Pattaya + load's of other places take's some reading. That bit of the roar is a fast bit so as said before go slowish and keep to the left 15+ km south of Ayuthaya. They sometime's have a radar check after the first pay bit on the 9 and the second it's a 120km road so keep it at 118 and you wont have a problem. Fine if you do get stopped is 500bt. Both day's ok unless there's a holiday then leave Sunday out. Very little/light traffic till you get to Ayuthaya. Look at other post for route and road condition's they are all spot on.

I am sure that others may have more effective directions but for me - Once I see the last (think that tts the third) Tesco Lotus go by on the other side of the dual carriage way plus I start to see Ayuthaya signposted, I start to concentrate. I keep thinking have to go LEFT on Highway 9 Ring Road.

The overhead Green sign for the ring road Highway 9 comes up pretty quick so i slow down and keep left. At this point there is no sign for Suvanabhumi. The fraffic filters left and have to take care as just before the correct tun left is another minor left turn When I have not concentrating I have actually turned onto this road but not the end of the world as possible to do a U-Turn.. go back and thn take the correct left.

Once you do turn left - Stay sharp as there is traffic filtering in from the right.. Go straight on. you will know that you are on the correct road as their is an ESSO Petrol station with KFC on the left. Perhaps 1 Kilometre, maybe a little more on this frontage road and you will see the sign for the airport indicate where to turn left onto Higway 9 on to Suvanabhumi. This road is a sharp right turn which goes up and over the main road.

All and all its a pretty hairy couple of minutes but sure beats the hell out of driving through Bangkok. Naturally it woul help to have an additional sgnpost to the airport on the main road before the Highway 9 junction - but there you go.

Good luck

Don't worry about that first minor turn stay on it ,it cuts out the round about,and you will be on the same frontage road

Good luck

Don't worry about that first minor turn stay on it ,it cuts out the round about,and you will be on the same frontage road

I zoomed in on the Google map at the HW 32 & HW9 intersection, and I see that I've to stay on the main highway (going from HW32 to HW1 to HW9). See attached Pattaya Route.pdf

Look for the sign's after Ayuthaya and as Taff 33 say's take first road left it come's up quick after the sign. It cut's off all the crap just keep on the left look for sign airport blue plane on it and if you dont go crazy it's a doddle so dont panic, if you miss the turning just go a bit further and again keep left and you will end up in the same place. N/B narrow road. Piece of cake. The worst thing you can do is carry on to BKK and even that's not a problem. Go up on the expressway keep going past Don/M Airport you will then see sign's for swampy just follow them an you will end up at the end of the 9 strate on for Pattaya. It take's about the same time maybe even quicker. Just cost a bit more well about 120bt more. Before the price went up I used to use BKK all the time if not peek it knocked off about 15 min: have a good trip.

Look for the sign's after Ayuthaya and as Taff 33 say's take first road left it come's up quick after the sign. It cut's off all the crap just keep on the left look for sign airport blue plane on it and if you dont go crazy it's a doddle so dont panic, if you miss the turning just go a bit further and again keep left and you will end up in the same place. N/B narrow road. Piece of cake. The worst thing you can do is carry on to BKK and even that's not a problem. Go up on the expressway keep going past Don/M Airport you will then see sign's for swampy just follow them an you will end up at the end of the 9 strate on for Pattaya. It take's about the same time maybe even quicker. Just cost a bit more well about 120bt more. Before the price went up I used to use BKK all the time if not peek it knocked off about 15 min: have a good trip.

Cant edit on the way back 2 km after swampy take left turn to Bang Pa In keep right and your on you way at the end of the 9 follow sign Ayuthaya keep your eye's open as not to clear. Once past all the fly over bit's your on our way. If you miss the B/P/I turn off it's through BKK follow sign's to Ding Dang you will pick up Don/M airport one's this is on expressway go to the end of E/W keep going 30+km and you will see sign to Ayuthaya and home. Edited by fredob43

• 1 month later...

It says....

"WARNING: Pee inside! If you stop this car bad things will come to you!"