"It Just Works"

Tom Kagai

This keynote presentation dated June 6th runs for over an hour but , OMG, it is cutting edge stuff.

Okay so you pay a bit more, but you do, and you will, get a lot more for it.

My link

Even if you don't want to suffer it for the duration, it's worth watching a bit if you're a Mac-fan.

Quotes: "People think of a cloud as some sort of hard drive in the sky" and "Apple is going way above and beyond that".

I must admit I was in that camp, and looking at the products prior to iCloud that's pretty much what it was: Dropbox. Dropbox is awesome, no doubt, but what Apple has done with the cloud idea is a whole different game. Apple has replaced the PC as the center of your digital universe with the iCloud. They have pretty much solved the "multiple machines, same data" problem. For good.

And the APIs are open to all app developers so 3rd parties can take full advantage - I expect very cool things to come from that.

I think at this point it's hard to imagine what this will look like for anyone who's not gone through the entire 2 hour keynote - it will become clear only once iOS 5 and OS X Lion are out and people start using these features. Apple's philosophy is that cloud storage will just work, and will provide features that you didn't have before, without you having to do anything.

Examples:

- If you buy a song on iTunes, it's on all your iDevices, and the Mac/PC. No syncing - it's just there.

- If you take a picture on the iPhone, it's on all your iDevices and the PC. No syncing - the pictures you take on any device go into your photo stream, and it's on all your devices, downloaded automatically.

- If you work on a document, you never save. Things save automatically. In addition, a complete version history of a document is stored so you can go back to old versions with the click of a mouse. You don't save documents anymore!

- If you work on a document on the Mac, then later proceed to work on it on the iPhone - there is no syncing. The document is just there already, and it remembered what page you were on, what was selected, everything - the complete state of your work is there.

There's a LOT more... Apple focuses on things you can do with the cloud - they lost hardly a word on the server farm that makes it all possible, except to say that it's "..full of stuff. Expensive stuff." Cost over $1Bn...

Great summary nikster.

I was also taken aback by some very, VERY reasonable pricing strategies obviously aimed at gaining market share (which they are doing at an admirable rate). For example, you can now break out iPhoto from the iLife set, and buy it standalone through the app store for about $12. It's a super little application for turning a 'snap' into a keeper of a photograph; and dead easy to use too.

Also, an incredibly giveaway price for 'Lion', which is a major OS upgrade.

With the tons of usb dongles, there is simply no excuse to not be on the internet in Thailand.

I was blown away by the pricing of the Lion Server, 49 bucks. Incredible pricing. No, I have no Mac. Wish I could afford one, as I am teaching myself Objective C and writing an epub book.

I think that's a matter of choice. I mean, I'm never going to trust some bunker in the USA with all my files, music, movies etc., but having it up there so's it can be grabbed for the iPad, iPhone, iPod, (and, probably by then, the iWatch) well, that's got to be a plus. The big attraction is as nickster mentioned, 'no docking', 'no saving', no cross-platforming when you get a new machine etc. and it's all very affordable, or even free (hope that doesn't change once they're in pole position though).

With the tons of usb dongles, there is simply no excuse to not be on the internet in Thailand.

Thailand is not where I'm concerned about, I travel extensively and not always to the most advanced areas of the world. There are many, many times I'm somewhere where internet is either not available or prohibitively expensive. If I didn't have my files in my Macbook I would be hooped.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having access on all my devices to the same videos, pictures, documents, etc. without having to physically transfer them, but having my actual hard drive in the sky will not work for me.

I think that if I'm understanding this all correctly, although all our info would be in the cloud it would also be on each individual hard drive. I think Apple has recognized that there are still places all over the world where instant, continuous internet access is not available. That is why they have said there will be a time limit on how long some files will be held in the cloud, giving you time to get online for the "syncing" to happen.

That is my take on this idea.....

Haven't read it but this iCloud thing sounds great. Wonder if it will really work seeing as I currently cannot even use Bluetooth to transfer info from my iPhone to my iMac!

The downside to the icloud, or any cloud for that matter is, security. Even dropbox can unencrypt your files, as they have the key. So what is the point of encryption then? Hacking also. No system is safe, not even Apple´s.

For basic files (pics and some documents) icloud is great. For other stuff, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.

CD, sorry for the wrong post. I guess if you travel outside of Thailand and there is no internet, then icloud serves zero purpose.

Sounds like the Apple fanboys are on their way to becoming the Borg.

resistance is futile.

Too right mate. Okay, the platforms aren't cheap but, boy, what are they doing to the world of applications. All the best developers are getting empowered, they are seriously pricing the big boys out of the market e.g. 'Powerpoint' $$$, Apple's 'Keynote' (every bit as good but simpler) $9 for iPad!, 'Dropbox' $$/month, 'iCloud'; free unless you want your music upgraded to iTunes specs, then $25/YEAR.

The downside to the icloud, or any cloud for that matter is, security. Even dropbox can unencrypt your files, as they have the key. So what is the point of encryption then? Hacking also. No system is safe, not even Apple´s.

For basic files (pics and some documents) icloud is great. For other stuff, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.

CD, sorry for the wrong post. I guess if you travel outside of Thailand and there is no internet, then icloud serves zero purpose.

if sony play station server can be hacked, its just a matter of time....