Buying A Second Hand Camera

I'm thinking about buying a second hand Nikon D70 for my daughter who is showing interest and talent for photography. I know it has a few years on the back by now, but it was a very expensive camera when it came out but can be had relatively cheap now. Is it still worth buying this or would we be better off looking for a newer camera?

What is peoples experience in general about buying photographic equipment in Thailand, delivered by EMS?

I own Canon Kiss EOS Rebel T2i.

The camera itself (body) can be dirt cheap second hand but it can't take photos.

You need lenses and that is where the buildup starts.

The lenses are cross-model compatible, owners carry them over to a newer model while they often discard the camera body only. It's camera body that can be had second hand for 50-80$.

The lenses don't become technologically obsolete as the camera body does, their ageing is over decades, not years.

New model, body, (successor) can, for example, take high definition video.

Whatever you do, there are 3 things surrounding a purchase of a good camera:

1. all in one lenses. Fairly expensive, cost even more than the camera body.

Without it, if you go with a basic lenses that are on offer, you will soon go and get long distance ones and will have to carry 2 sets on you.

2. Tripod that not only holds the camera but has a handle for precise directing.

3. Remote control. Inexpensive and great for group pictures where the camera owner is not missing in the pic. If you don't get it with the camera, 6 month later it may be impossible to find it, as the model could be superseded.

during my learning days, my teacher always emphasize that "always start with basic", "camera is just a tool and the person that make it great".

D70 is good camera in overall, i saw one up for sale for 10k baht with kit.

Don't worry about the cost in learning photography, it is low cost in the beginning and will get very high if your daughter really go for it.

The stuffs needed for learning (according to my experience):

1. good camera and lens, if you buy it without lens you can buy other brand for it (sigma, tamron, etc); it's cheaper that OEM

2. Tripod, buy standard one. you don't need manfroto or other heavy type (profesional one). just standard one is ok ( i recommend SLIK brand)

3. Good flash. Yes, D70 come with built-in flash but it is not enough for learning. OEM is expensive, so buy other brand as long the TTL function is there and with good GN number (GN 30 or 40 is enough)

4. Plenty of books to read......this is important to develop that photography sense and learn which is good pic and composition.

One thing to keep in mind that photoshop is a NO NO during the learning phase.

Cheers.

One of the real advantages of a digital SLR and a computer is knowing instantly what happens when you change the various settings during different light conditions. You don't have to wait a week for your film to be developed and it speeds up the learning process. It STILL helps to bring a notebook with you when trying out the various options.

You can go for automatic bracketing, but it helps to shoot the exact same subject (on a tripod) but with different settings and different focal points. Most often the " P" setting ( for program) will take the best photo in average lighting, but it certainly helps to know how to use "S" (shutter) or "A" (aperature) for maximum advantage.

As others have already said, the camera body changes, but the lenses never lose their quality or usefulnes.

However, you still have to ask yourself what kind of pictures you want and what you expect from a camera. As the old saying goes... You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If all someone wants is just 4" x 6" snapshots then a simple point and shoot camera will do 95% of what you want. If you want great telephoto shots then you have to spend the money on a good lens. If you want great action photos then you also have to have a good quality SLR. I don't think there is much to choose between Canon and Nikon. I have Nikon, but would be just as happy with a Canon.

a d70 is a fine camera to start with, but 2nd hand prices in thailand are crazy if you have the chance buy it abroad.

Also digital equipment is very sensitive so be carefull what you buy

With a digital body, at least take a shot with it at a high F stop (f20 or up) with a white piece of paper as a background or a blue sky, you will inmediately see if there are any scratches on the sensor.

Don't buy it if you can't see or use it first.

Don't buy it if you can't see or use it first.

Thanks for the input. That and the fact that the buyer expected me to pay in full for the camera by bank transfer before shipping made me step away from this deal. I'll be looking out for something more palatable.

during my learning days, my teacher always emphasize that "always start with basic", "camera is just a tool and the person that make it great".

D70 is good camera in overall, i saw one up for sale for 10k baht with kit.

Don't worry about the cost in learning photography, it is low cost in the beginning and will get very high if your daughter really go for it.

The stuffs needed for learning (according to my experience):

1. good camera and lens, if you buy it without lens you can buy other brand for it (sigma, tamron, etc); it's cheaper that OEM

2. Tripod, buy standard one. you don't need manfroto or other heavy type (profesional one). just standard one is ok ( i recommend SLIK brand)

3. Good flash. Yes, D70 come with built-in flash but it is not enough for learning. OEM is expensive, so buy other brand as long the TTL function is there and with good GN number (GN 30 or 40 is enough)

4. Plenty of books to read......this is important to develop that photography sense and learn which is good pic and composition.

One thing to keep in mind that photoshop is a NO NO during the learning phase.

Cheers.

I agree with sapi and I think these are very good suggestions. The only thing I don't agree with is the last photoshop one... if you can make an average shot into something interesting and artistic - go for photoshop, it increases your photoshop skills as well for sure... but of course you also learn by your mistakes, understanding what you could do better in camera in those shots...

Somewhere in the menu it will tell you the number of shutter activations.

I seem to remember reading that there is a finite life on some cameras.

A physical exam is essential when buying second hand.

i second that " Don't buy it if you can't see or use try it first"

In one point in my life, i was a second hand camera seller.

Tips for buying second hand camera (my experience) :

1. Check the outer body, look for scracth, ding, etc . Heavy scratch or ding indicate that the owner didn't take proper care or the age is too old

2. Check the shutter blade

3. Check the functions

4. Bring your own lens when you buy body only (one time i got cheated by this). Check if it can operate with the lens

5. Check the pixel when buying digital (dead pixel, dirt, etc)

6. Do your research for the asking price

7. One final point, check for the screw surrounding the camera. If the screw show some wear, it might be that it has been open before for some reason

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a D70s that is a slightly improved model.

From a review of them

The D70s is essentially an update of the D70, adding a larger LCD screen (2 inches / 51 millimetres instead of 1.8 inches / 46 millimetres), though still having 130,000 pixels. The D70s also comes with the newer EN-EL3a battery with slightly higher capacity. While the battery performance is increased, the new version of the D70 lacks the previously included MS-D70 battery holder, which allowed users to mount three CR2 batteries in the camera in case of a dead battery (notably the adapter is not compatible with CR123 batteries). The camera is also equipped with a terminal for a proprietary remote release cable (MC-DC1).

In addition, the D70s features an increased 18 mm angle of coverage from its built-in flash; the flash on the D70 could only be used with lenses as wide as 20 mm. All other updates to the D70s are available for the D70 through a firmware update, which include improved auto-focus performance, updated menu design and updated in-camera printer support.