Thai Workers Need To Upgrade Skills

webfact

For many years, my friend and I have discussed the fact that the average Thai, was possibly not blessed with particularly high quality genetic brain stock. Some nations, such as the Indians, the Germans, and the Chinese were. The Thais, I do not think so. Think of when was the last time a Thai person won a Nobel peace prize, or a Pulitzer prize, or any other international measure of creativity, or intelligence. I realize this is a terribly politically incorrect thing to insinuate, but the writing is on the wall. Just the other day I went to retrieve a motorbike that I had reserved for a friend of mine, from a bike shop. Turns out he did not hold the bike for us, as we showed up too late in the day. That was after I had left a deposit for it. I asked for the deposit back, and the guy started screaming at me. Very emotional. I have rented from him many times in the past, and planned to continue using him for years to come. I explained that to him, and asked him if he was prepared to sacrifice the years of patronage, for a measly 400 baht? He did not even hear me. The thought of parting with 400 baht today was paramount to him. The future meant nothing. Is this an intelligent business mind? How many like this have you run into? Where are the brilliant minds? Are they only at the universities?

While I cannot disagree with your first paragraph, I think your example of the bike shop owner is not the best. While travelling in New Zealand recently ( not renowned for thickos ) in low season, a friend and I wanted to rent a room for the night at a remote hostel. However, his rate was too high, and he would not lower it, resulting in another night without ANY income. So, not just Thais............

Well, the difference is, that guy lost one night of rent, for his room. My motorbike guy lost a lifetime's worth of referrals. He knows me. He has seen the amount of business I have brought his way. Many people who rent 2 or 3 bikes at a time, for 10 day stretches. So, what he did was sheer idiocy. It was beyond reason. It was nothing more than panic, and getting lost in the moment. There was no logic, or business sense behind it.

Oh, I didn't realise that you were never going to rent from him again. Still, I guess he looks at it from the point of view that you might not be around in the future.

Anyway, foolish, but we've probably all experienced similar stupidity if we've been here long enough. I certainly have.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images