Height Clearance For Aust Network Satellite

haveaniceday

There is a we site that you can put in your Lat Long and it will tell you the clearance from hills you need to get a satellite signal.

I am particularly interested in Australia network. Anyone also know which satellite I select for that channel ?

Thank you.

22,300KM's (this is the usual height for geosync satellites :))

But seriously, if you can see the sky it's in, you will get a signal of some sort.

I've had to invert an offset dish (similar to an ipstar dish) in the past - pointed to PANAMSAT from Burma. Took some doing but we got a good lock......

Trouble is now, they are doing spotbeams so coverage may be troublesome.

Edited by phazey

Since they took the rugby off i hardly watch AUS Network. If you are into AFL go for it. Now they don't even have State of Origin. Personally i wouldn't bother setting it up.

Repeats, repeats of series 3 years old. They have podcasts of news etc so why do you need it.

Not very happy with AUS network, although might change after the 1st july.

I have been told for good authority it is IS8 I want.

Re Aust network going down the drain, I hear you , and agree with you. Sad, bizar and idiotic when they killed the rugby, this was a channel who was funded and had a charter of promoting Australian culture. AFL, I believe this is the last year according to JSAT in Bangkok. I am not a big fan, but it is nice to watch a game each week.

Line of site to the Sat may be a issue for me anyway due to a small 600 foot hill very close to the east.

Love the V8's though.

Please, why is July significant please?

I have been told for good authority it is IS8 I want.

Re Aust network going down the drain, I hear you , and agree with you. Sad, bizar and idiotic when they killed the rugby, this was a channel who was funded and had a charter of promoting Australian culture. AFL, I believe this is the last year according to JSAT in Bangkok. I am not a big fan, but it is nice to watch a game each week.

Line of site to the Sat may be a issue for me anyway due to a small 600 foot hill very close to the east.

Love the V8's though.

Please, why is July significant please?

Yes you need IS8 and I have a 5' dish, 6metres above ground level with no obstructions. My dish is almost vertical and have no more adjustment. I am in Ubon. I also get BBC asia pacific which is good for news.

I believe that the contract is up and a new provider is take over on the 1st July. Read somewhere maybe FOX is going to take over.

Maybe the labour govt might spend some money.

Go the maroons!

have you checked your local cable supplier if there i s one as they often carry AUS network also the AUS network website has all the information you need.

Edited by sammycic

Just found this on a senator's website.

The ABC's current five-year Australia Network contract worth about $20 million per annum with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) expires on 8 August, and DFAT tender documents state that contract negotiations should be concluded by 8 June.Under questioning from Senator Birmingham in Senate Budget Estimates, ABC Managing Director Mark Scott today confirmed they're yet to even start contract negotiations with anyone.Also found out that the ABC and SKY are the main contenders.Don't hold your breath waiting for new programming.

But seriously, if you can see the sky it's in, you will get a signal of some sort.

Not necessarily true, especially on Ku band birds

that have very carefully sculpted footprints.

In other words if the satellite is not pointing at you,

you will not get a signal. :bah:

Not necessarily true, especially on Ku band birds

that have very carefully sculpted footprints.

In other words if the satellite is not pointing at you,

you will not get a signal. :bah:

Well yeah...I was actually assuming you'd be in the footprint to begin with.

Here in Thailand we can get the Australia Network from 3 different satellite (direct Australia Network not via rebroadcast which takes the list even higher) which they broadcast on being;

1. Intelsat 7/10 that everyone in Thailand can see at 68.5e (the old south african satellite) and they will provide a free subscription card for this free service couriered to your door here in Thailand.

2. Intelsat 8 which is geographically challenged at 166e which is the normal satellite many use and no subscription card is required

3. Intelsat 5 which is the most geographically challenged at 169e (no card required)

Australia Network recently opened up the Intelsat 7/10 option for those of you in country who are geographically challenged with their other satellites, but all to late unless you just want the AFL, as most have re-positioned their systems to the new HD & 3D services with the live rugby and NRL.

Edited by jsat