Stinky Jerseys

T_Dog

Spend a few hours riding in Thailand with a normal polyester jersey and wow, do they stink. I've got a few CoolMax jerseys too (they feel a lot softer than normal biking jerseys) and they hardly smell at all after a long ride. Anyone know the science behind smelly jerseys? It seems to be they should both smell bad!

One allows bacteria to breed faster than the other?

Or perhaps it is worth taking a cup of water from your washing machine and letting it warm up in the sun --- see if the water smells ... therein may lie your problem.

the longer your jerseys are "wet", the more chance they have of growing bacteria or molds. my fancy pants dri-fit, etc jerseys wick the sweat away & seem to dry quicker while riding. the plain polyester ones breathe less so they stay wet longer.

you can get rid of the stink by using some baking soda to soak the jerseys in, then wash them normally. if that still doesn't do the trick repeat but follow up with diluted vinegar rinse.

but i wouldn't do this to the specially treated jerseys, even fabric softening ruins the chemical coating on them.

the longer your jerseys are "wet", the more chance they have of growing bacteria or molds. my fancy pants dri-fit, etc jerseys wick the sweat away & seem to dry quicker while riding. the plain polyester ones breathe less so they stay wet longer.

you can get rid of the stink by using some baking soda to soak the jerseys in, then wash them normally. if that still doesn't do the trick repeat but follow up with diluted vinegar rinse.

but i wouldn't do this to the specially treated jerseys, even fabric softening ruins the chemical coating on them.

I think you might be on to it. My CoolMax stuff does evaporate moisture much faster than the polyester jerseys. Going to have to find a Thai supplier of the more breathable stuff. I always rinse out my jerseys as soon as I get back home from a ride before washing them with other clothes. The CoolMax stuff rarely smells bad.

add a little bleach to your wash. Some bacteria can live thru normal washing and drying.

I agree that helps a lot, and I always add bleach when I wash my CamelBak. My original post is in regard to the scientific reasons as to why the normal polyester will smell worse than other materials after an equivalent ride.

Wash my riding gear! I do, once a week, whether it needs it or not, maybe that’s why I’m still riding alone? Camelbak, every now and then I put a few of the baby bottle sterilizing tabs in. Once forgot to replace with fresh water before a ride out........Interesting flavour!

• 1 month later...