Muang, Rayong Help!

SageYe

hey my name is sage and today i got my host guarantee forms for me to be an exchange student in Thailand. I am going to: Muang Rayong

Province:

Rayong

City-(this is where i need help)

Is it rayong city or Muang Rayong? Is muang rayong the city name or is that part of a city?

I cant find any information either :( whats the population? the size?

Also i am going to Rayongwittayakom School...Have you heard of this school? is it good?

also it says ploenjai 2 neunphra whats that mean? where is that???

Thanks,

Sage

Rayong Whittiyakom 1 is the top government school in Rayong Province.

There are 3 Whittiyakoms with Number One being the oldest and best.

Maybe Assumption Rayong is better but it's private.

They have a good reputation.

It's large- I think nearly 2,000 kids there.

It's in the centre of Rayong which is a big town ( Muang means town by the way).

It's a mixed school secondary - boys and girls.

I don't know where you're coming from but you'll find Thailand to be a bit of a culture shock.

Lovely, but very different to the West.

The students will be great and make you feel very welcomed.

Not really a lot to do - except going to Laem Thong Shopping Mall - but it is what you make it!

Good luck.

Try not to kill yourself and don't fall in love more than once a day. Buy a cheap cell phone, 800 baht as one of the first things you do after arriving in Thailand. You will need a cell phone every day. You cannot exist without a cell phone.

You will have a blast in Rayong. You are only a mile from the Gulf, lots of beaches and a party every weekend and a great mall with lots of restaurants including MacDonald's, KFC. Sante Fe steakhouse, and Sizzler and cinemas. The movie theaters are a lot better than what you are used to in the States, nicer seating and newer. Rayong is an industrial city; they make cars and trucks there including Ford and Chevy and refine oil. There are a lot of rich people in Rayong and everybody has a job. You will probably be surprised but you will see more Mercedes, BMW's and expensive cars than in Chicago.

Everybody has a motor scooter and the kids race them on the street, like I said try not to kill yourself. If you are allergic to any drugs get a bracelet to wear if you are unconsciousness when they take you to the hospital after your first motor scooter accident. Don't be too concerned about having a motor scooter accident you are young and your bones should heal fast. Buy a good helmet as your brains will not heal if all over the pavement. Get the full face helmet unless you want new teeth.

Thais have this thing about feet. Don't put your foot over anyone's head and don't point at stuff with your feet. Remember to take your shoes off when going in places where you see a bunch of shoes outside, like a classroom or doctors office. Don't wear shorts to the temple (Wat).

Thai women look very young. Remember what you think may be a 16 year old girl may be 25 years old woman. Watch out for drinking. A lot of kids drink a kind of moonshine which is very cheap. Watch out for drugs too. A lot of kids do drugs especially “ya ba” which is like crystal meth. Stay away from anyone who offers you drugs or booze.

Rayong has an electronics place call Star Plaza or something like that. Watch out as there a lot of pirated and counterfeit things there. Stay away from eating raw meat or shellfish. Anything cooked should be OK. When you see anything red in the food that is cayenne pepper, hotter than Mexican food.

A 16 year old Farang boy is like a rock star in Rayong. Enjoy your status but be careful of getting a big head. The boys will like you and the girls will chase you.

I got to Thailand the first time when I was 22 years old. I never got over it. Good luck.

The big shopping mall

RayongLT.jpg

Near the bus station

Rayong2.jpg

River that runs thru town

Rayong1.jpg

Not sure of the population but Rayong is a good sized city. Kids hang out at the mall and night market.

Nice island called Koh Samed is not far away. Here's one of the beaches. Lots of tourists go there.

samet10.jpg

Bangkok and Pattaya are only a couple hours away if you crave more Western amenities. Should be a great experience for you.

This is what the grade school and high school uniform looks like. All the kids wear uniforms through college. They have different outfits for scouting and sports days.

Most of the kids have holes in their socks because they don't wear shoes in the classroom and the socks wear out quickly.

The things all of the kids have are a motorbike and a cell phone. You will feel odd if you don't have both.

New motor scooters are 35,000 baht and you can buy used for 10,000 baht. Still time for you to get a part time job at MacDonald's in the States and save some cash for your time in Thailand. If you don't crash the bike you can sell it when you leave.

post-20120-0-80253000-1308023075_thumb.j

Hey thanks guys for your help :D I am really excited to go to Rayong.

And about the scooters, I really wish I could have one but i cant :( Cause during my exchange my Insurance doesnt cover vichicle accidents when i drove them :(

It is going to be a pretty big difference than my home city also cause the population is only 30000 people and i have only been to chicago once.

@Harrylime Thanks for all the photos

@kerryk- thanks for the information

Btw do you know anything of the national park up in the northern part of the province?

I wil ask more questions as i think of them :D

Cant wait! and thanks again

Sage

• 1 month later...

I have came up with a few more questions... biggrin.gif

1.) Are there any small orphanages in the area??

2.) Are there any good clubs in the area (As in Cycling club..horse riding...etc.etc.)

3.) How is the Wifi Situation??whistling.gif

4.) Are there any 7-11s???

5.) How big is rayong?

and btw how do i edit my first post in this topic?? i was gonna add to it but it wont let me :(

Edited by SageYe

2.) Are there any good clubs in the area (As in Cycling club..horse riding...etc.etc.)

5.) How big is rayong?

and btw how do i edit my first post in this topic?? i was gonna add to it but it wont let me :(

The Camillian Social Center Rayong. Kids with the HIV/AIDS Virus and Disabilities. Lots of 7/11's

5.) How big is rayong?

You can edit your posts for a short time after you submit them. After that, use the report function and tell us what you want changed. One of the mods will do it for you.

Also, Google Rayong. You'd be amazed at the amount of info out there on the internet. Wiki has some good info on Rayong.

There's a horse riding club on the road that has St. Andrew's Golf Course on it and there's also a riding club in the golf course itself.

Plenty of 7-11s anywhere you go in Thailand, but unlikely to have the same stuff you buy back home.

There's 2 children's homes (not sure if they're orphanages) either side of the road at the main entrance to Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate as well as the Camillian Centre already mentioned.

What national park are you talking about? Soi Dao?

Edited by PattayaParent

Thanks guys ...sorry for all the questions...there are probably more as time approaches nearer..O_O

biggrin.gifOMG ONLY 18 DAYS!!!!biggrin.gif

A few more..might not be location specific...

1.) Where should I Exchange my USD-->THB ????

Bangkok airport?/Rayong?/US??

2.) What is the Bangkok INTL Airport like?? easy to navigate??

3.) How is the drive from Bangkok to Rayong??How long?? 2hrs??

4.) Do you know where i can find a street map of Rayong besides google??

Thanks Sage

Exchange a 100 dollars at the airport for some pocket money and the rest in Rayong. Might be a good idea for your host family to take you to Bank of Bangkok in Rayong to open an account so you don't have to carry too much cash.

It takes from 3 to 4 hours to get from Bangkok to Rayong depending on mode of transportation and time of day.

Remember the first thing to buy is a cheap cell phone. 800 baht. This will get you around in Rayong. If you get lost or want to go somewhere you only have to call host family and hand the cell phone to motorcycle taxi driver and they can tell him where to take you. Not that many people speak English and the signs will be in Thai. As long as you have a cell phone you are never alone. You buy time for the phone at any 7/11 or phone store. Say you purchase a 1, 2 call sim card. At the 7/11 say, Yak, 1, 2 call nung loy baht (100 baht). They will give you a scratch off card or a register receipt with a code number on it. Type in on your phone *120* (the code number) # and push send. You will get a confirmation message on your phone.

Thanks guys ...sorry for all the questions...there are probably more as time approaches nearer..O_O

biggrin.gifOMG ONLY 18 DAYS!!!!biggrin.gif

A few more..might not be location specific...

Thanks Sage

Don't bring all your money for your 1 year in one go. Bring enough for 1 month, open a bank account when you arrive and transfer over when you need more. Change some at the airport to pay for taxi or whatever.

How are you getting from airport to Rayong? Somebody meeting you? You'll come into the arrivals hall and the greeters area is to your right, it's easy to navigate around as it's just a long narrow rectangular building.

It's a couple of hours drive from the airport, motorway all the way.

Try here for maps http://www.thaivisa....stern-thailand/ Google is probably as reliable as any though.

Edited by PattayaParent

It takes from 3 to 4 hours to get from Bangkok to Rayong depending on mode of transportation and time of day.

Not from Swampy it doesnt, 2.5 hours maximum if in a car, if coming in from DM would agree with you could be 3-3.5 hours

as soon as you arrive at the airport. Exchanging in Rayong won't be so easy. You'd have to go to the bank during working hours. There are no exchange booths set up like in touristy areas.

it's better than the old domestic airport, but I'm sure you will have no trouble getting out to a taxi. There's basically only one way to go at first, the only choices arrive after you've passed through Immigration.

about 2-1/2 hours

here's one of the province :

http://www.kohchang2.com/rooms_rayong/rayong_map.jpg

here's one of the city :

http://rayong.sawadee.com/rayongmap.htm

You'll be living right near Laam Tong & also Assumption school.

at least according to the address I read in your OP.

ohh and another question (Thailand in General)

I have a Ipod Touch/ and A Laptop/and a camera ...would i have to buy a adapter so the voltage wont fry my electronics??

Ans also on the Thai visa Adds I met this one guy that is selling macbook and I am interested...What was would you guys recommend me to give him the money if we go thru the deal??

Thanks

sage

ohh and another question (Thailand in General)

I have a Ipod Touch/ and A Laptop/and a camera ...would i have to buy a adapter so the voltage wont fry my electronics??

Ans also on the Thai visa Adds I met this one guy that is selling macbook and I am interested...What was would you guys recommend me to give him the money if we go thru the deal??

Thanks

sage

Don't they have universal adapter / chargers that work anywhere in the world?

Buying the Macbook I would arrange to meet the guy and check out the machine first before you part with any cash.

Edit: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/345456-possible-scam-in-the-classified-secition-mac-book-pro/page__p__3396276__hl__classified+ads+scam__fromsearch__1#entry3396276

Edited by PattayaParent