Kindle As A Language Aid

kokesaat

We're going back for our daughter's wedding later this year....I'm pretty much sold on picking up a Kindle for my reading. Has anyone used the Kindle/Nook/other as a Thai language learning aid? I like to carry a dictionary with me....but prefer something that fits in my pocket....and most dictionaries that size aren't carrying around. I know there are dictionaries for the Kindle. Anyone out there have any experience using a 'reader' for their Thai studies?

I have no experience with the Kindle myself, but Stuart Jay Raj did a review of the Kindle vs the Ipad for language learning on his blog that will probably be of interest to you.

As you can see from that post, I love the Kindle and it has been a wonderful tool for language learning. I take it everywhere I go and have it loaded now with over 1000 language books. There is a problem with Dictionaries though - I haven't been able to find many dictionaries that are properly indexed for the Kindle. I do have many dictionaries loaded into my Kindle as PDF files, but they are very cumbersome to jump through. It's much easier to use an app like longdo or one of the other dictionaries on your phone rather than hunt around on the Kindle.

My KindleDX is probably my favorite current possesion however for language learning not so. It is good for displaying pdf but with the dictionaries has trouble with fonts and cannot produce correct sound.

My Ipod however allows me to play podcasts of thai, display correct thai text and allow it to be vocalized. The Becker dictionary is outstanding and it allows the use of applications such as ANKI for flash cards which can incluse sound. It also allows thai text input.

Edited by harrry

" I haven't been able to find many dictionaries that are properly indexed for the Kindle. I do have many dictionaries loaded into my Kindle as PDF files, but they are very cumbersome to jump through. "

If one dictionary works better than another, could you please post your opinion? It might save me some heartache later in the year.