We Will Disqualify Wrongdoers Before Thai Election, EC Panel Warns

webfact

...A cynic might suggest, that every time there is a demonstration against the E.C., it shows that their efforts have actually achieved something ! B)

I would say such observation is actually a fact, not cynicism.

Last time when the EC was pretty sure that a violation of the law deserved punishment in form of a party dissolution and a ban from politics for the party executives they spoiled it and the court dismissed the case because of a legal technicality. The EC didn't conduct the legal process properly.

I guess this is a reference to a case which the EC didn't really think had merit and were more or less pressured to bring forward. Have to check which of the vocal UDD leaders was involved, I though k. Natthawut. In April 2010 he took his red-shirts to the EC offices and a few days later the EC decided to bring the case forward.

Before we also had this, from 2010-02-09 "Red Shirt leaders pledge non-violent campaign"

http://www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/18932.html

I guess that was before the grenades started raining down

Edited by rubl

Jail time would be a better dis-incentive.

Interesting is that in an other thread you were so proud that a BJT candidate got re-elected in a by-election after he got disqualified by the EC.

Proud?? Just pointing out facts.

He didn't get jail time. He was allowed to stand for election. He got voted back in for BJT. There was no backlash with him being ex-PPP.

The problem in Thailand is that corrupt and criminal politicians are not only allowed to stand for election, but the people vote for them. And now we have a party that wants to give a whole heap of them amnesty.

I see they are already trying to use the old EC to invalidate any red shirt controlled govt.

Corruption and money for votes is a way of life here....they know it and know both sides do it.....but it's pretty clear their enforcement is not exactly unbiased. I find it very difficult to believe most of the democrats in the just dissolved govt were all clean....more likely most were as dirty as the reds but left alone or perhaps less obvious in their vote "acquisition".