Hindlays Curry House

Gladiator

I have no affilliation with Hindlays - I am only a satisfied customer.

On Monday afternoon - I went along to stock up on various Indian food for the freezer. Hindays is still as good and cheap as ever. The take-away food is all labled so can easily retrieve something specific from the freezer. The restaurant has nice ambience to sit there and dine.

I am not sure how well the photo came out, but,even though Hindlays have table top menues - I photographed the chalkboard menu for reference.

post-55052-0-71725500-1308032891_thumb.j

Where is it located?

• 8/1 Na Wat Gate, Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • 053-324621

Nrarawat Bridge - going out of town. Immediate left at the end of the bridge. Pass Riverside and Goodview Reataurant on your left Go as far as the Isuzu Dealer on the right (perhaps 300 metres). Turn right. 20 metres to T-Junction. Turn left. Take first right. You will find Hindlays appoximatly 300 metres on your right

with parking inside the restaurant compound.

I have visited Hindlays Indian style restaurant many times, it makes a nice change and is well worth a try.

The Thai owner speaks fluent English and makes everyone feel welcome, but I do agree with rakchiangmai about the nan bread.

Believe me folks it is not easy to find, tucked away in a back street off of a back street.

A friend recommended me and showed me the way, otherwise I would never had found the place.

Could someone make a rough map and add it on this thread?

Edited by Beetlejuice

I love this place but i think they don't do naan bread right?As i love all the trimmings.

No Naan.

But they do have several types of Roti, Paratha and Samosas.

The owner is an accommodating kind of Guy and I am sure that if you took your own Naan along with with you (Tesco Lotus, Rimpings etc) he would microwave it warm for you

Where is it located?

• 053-324621

Nrarawat Bridge - going out of town. Immediate left at the end of the bridge. Pass Riverside and Goodview Reataurant on your left Go as far as the Isuzu Dealer on the right (perhaps 300 metres). Turn right. 20 metres to T-Junction. Turn left. Take first right. You will find Hindlays appoximatly 300 metres on your right

Not sure but sounds like you would be going to Bake And Bite from the bridge. Is that the correct route?

Could someone make a rough map and add it on this thread?

it is located at the tip of the green arrow in this map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=N18.79232+E99.00491&ie=UTF8&ll=18.792324,99.004691&spn=0.006277,0.013797&z=16

It's in a pretty hi-so part of town, sandwiched in between the Floral Apartments and Sakorn Residence.

Where is it located?

• 053-324621

Not sure but sounds like you would be going to Bake And Bite from the bridge. Is that the correct route?

yes

Where is it located?

• 053-324621

Yes. Although I have not been to the Bake and Bite there - I have seen the signs on the way to Hindlays

Where is it located?

• 053-324621

Thank you. That should be findable with your directions. I have had their food from Meals on Wheels, but during low season I try to be frugal and save on delivery charges. :wai:

gladiator

i hope you dont mind but ive re sized your menu pic

to make it easier for people to read and will

post it when thai vias uploading pics next ???

dave2

Edited by Maestro
Deleted filth.

gladiator

i hope you dont mind but ive re sized your menu pic

to make it easier for people to read and will

post it when thai vias uploading pics next ???

dave2

ps .. have a pic from butter is better today as well but thia visas not up#########

Dave2

Be my guest. No problem. Whatever works best.

G

Went there Yesterday

A Little bit disappointed really, had 2 Samosas, Chicken Tikka Masala , and Yellow rice.

Filling in the Samosas was good but didn't enjoy the Spring roll pastry, I suppose it is a personal thing but I prefer Samosas in a traditional dough type of pastry.

The Chicken Tikka Masala was very poor in my opinion, the thing that stood out straight away after the first spoonful was a taste of sugar, just to much, and it kept coming back after every other spoon full.

I thought the chicken (Tikka) should be marinated over night then put on skewers and put under a grill or on a barbecue, before being added to the Masala sauce, clearly in this dish it had not happened, clearly there was no visible grill or charcoal/barbecue marks on the chicken,

The yellow rice although it was not a pilau rice (just some good quality rice colored with Turmeric) was excellent had not been over cooked or sticky and left me with the thought of just how much I need to improve the quality of the rice I make when making Pilau rice.

Good value for money well I would have to say value for money.

Couldnt fault the service , or the relaxing location

Should I go back and try some thing else or move on. I have Le Spice, Bombay Resturant and New Delhi on the list of places to try...what do you think ?

TB

Went there Yesterday

A Little bit disappointed really, had 2 Samosas, Chicken Tikka Masala , and Yellow rice.

Filling in the Samosas was good but didn't enjoy the Spring roll pastry, I suppose it is a personal thing but I prefer Samosas in a traditional dough type of pastry.

The Chicken Tikka Masala was very poor in my opinion, the thing that stood out straight away after the first spoonful was a taste of sugar, just to much, and it kept coming back after every other spoon full.

I thought the chicken (Tikka) should be marinated over night then put on skewers and put under a grill or on a barbecue, before being added to the Masala sauce, clearly in this dish it had not happened, clearly there was no visible grill or charcoal/barbecue marks on the chicken,

The yellow rice although it was not a pilau rice (just some good quality rice colored with Turmeric) was excellent had not been over cooked or sticky and left me with the thought of just how much I need to improve the quality of the rice I make when making Pilau rice.

Should I go back and try some thing else or move on. I have Le Spice, Bombay Resturant and New Delhi on the list of places to try...what do you think ?

TB

I have to say that I went there yesterday too and had Chicken Tikka Masala and a plain Roti.

You are right about the Tikka not been prepared correctly but I still enjoyed the dish and it didn't come across with the sweetness you experienced.

As previous posters have said, the Roti could do with some improvement.

Overall I think the dish was good value for money and I'll certainly return to try the other dishes, I'm glad I came across this post otherwise I would never have known about it.

Le Spice, Bombay and New Delhi I was disappointed with. There is an Indian down Loi Khroh Road that's worth visiting, but can't remember the name, it's opposite the main entrance to Duangtawan hotel.

I'm going back to the UK next month for a few weeks, now there's a place where you get proper curries in most towns, my mouth's watering already!!

New Delhi the chef has gone home a month already and does not seem to be coming back as of last week when i checked , they are just doing a small buffet for a set price .

I thought New delhi was the best if i chose the right dishes like the bombay potato was a bit different to what i am used to but not bad or anything as i'm from england.

Went there Yesterday

TB

I have to say that I went there yesterday too and had Chicken Tikka Masala and a plain Roti.

You are right about the Tikka not been prepared correctly but I still enjoyed the dish and it didn't come across with the sweetness you experienced.

As previous posters have said, the Roti could do with some improvement.

Overall I think the dish was good value for money and I'll certainly return to try the other dishes, I'm glad I came across this post otherwise I would never have known about it.

Le Spice, Bombay and New Delhi I was disappointed with. There is an Indian down Loi Khroh Road that's worth visiting, but can't remember the name, it's opposite the main entrance to Duangtawan hotel.

I'm going back to the UK next month for a few weeks, now there's a place where you get proper curries in most towns, my mouth's watering already!!

Blimey loads of there yesterday, I was too and had the same as you plus 2 samosas.

I thought it was ok, the samosa fillings were good and the masala was ok but those roti's taste like banana.

I enny you going back to UK. Having just come back from a visa run in Singapore and growing up in Whitechapel Im starting to get serious withdrawals for a vegetable thali, enjoy mate.

I really think Royal India and the brother's Kebab House are the most consistent of all the Indian places. They are not great but at least they are not disappointing. You know what you are getting - the dishes, chef, and the management haven't changed in 4 years. Although I have still not tried Le Spice yet.

IMHO: Best Indian food in town is at the Chedi. Royal India is also like what we would have in India (been there 3 times). New Delhi is also good. Never tried Bombay or Kebab house.

Real British curry use curry powder, raisins sometime apple or pineapple. It is an interpretation of real Indian curry.

Curry in the Indian restaurant in the UK are not British interpretation, they are real as mostly made from imported chef from Bengal.

READ: Curry: A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors by E. M. Collingham (May 1, 2007)

Edited by Maccheroncini

I really think Royal India and the brother's Kebab House are the most consistent of all the Indian places. They are not great but at least they are not disappointing. You know what you are getting - the dishes, chef, and the management haven't changed in 4 years.

I agree. IMHO, the best of the other places are not any better and usually more expensive.

However, I still have not tried the Chedi and it sounds like it has real possibilities.

Have used Hinley for over four years.

Good food, Excellent staff (one) and friendly owners.

Pleasant setting and adequate parking.

Not over fond of the 'Crispy' Samosa but still managed two on Friday night.

Enjoy most of the food on offer, comperes well with other Indian restaurants in town.

Luv the Potato/Mushroom curry and the Mutton is fair priced.

Worth a visit.

john

Went for the first time on friday - pleasantly suprised.

Had the pork vindaloo, yellow rice and a roti. I thought the curry was excellent, fragrant and spicy. Not a huge portion, but good value for money all the same. The rice was spot on, but the roti wasn't anything special. Better than nothing I suppose. If only they had naan bread!

Ordered mango chutney, but they didn't have any at that time. Finished with the rum and raisin ice cream, which was very nice.

Nice place, good service, friendly owners. I will definitely go back.

I am more than sure they used the same roti as the ones being sold at Rimping (local supplier in Chiang Mai). The size and everything else is just.. exactly the same.

Royal India is a bit too creepy I find... especially in the evening. I will give the Chedi a try actually. No longer a member of their club though :(

Enjoy most of the food on offer, comperes well with other Indian restaurants in town.

john

Sorry to disagree John, but the other Indian restaurants are rubbish, unless you like excess amounts of ghee and oil. bah.gif