Bake And Bite Vs Butter Is Better

cheshiregent

"am i being an old fart thinking that thats expensive iv lived here for years so not sure the price of bread in the uk anymore"

The answer to your question is....YES. I checked with friends in the US and a loaf of Wonderbread (puffed air in a bag) is 90 baht. Butter is Better is striving to provide quality and to give expats and Thais a taste of western food. Fluffernutter was NEVER on the menu. It was on the specials board for a short time months ago. The bakery does not sell french bread..it's Italian.

They have come here and are trying to make a contribution to the community. What contribution have most of you made other than sitting at your computer and criticizing everyone and everything? Please list your business so we can go in and review it.

I for one am grateful for a taste of home and congratulate them on their attempts. The reason these things are not common is because it's very difficult to do it correctly.

For the record I am also a fan of Bake & Bite and enjoy eating there regularly also.

Mentioning the fluffernutters was not intended to be a slam on BIB. Though if they were on the specials board instead of on the regular menu, then I agree with you -that does make all the difference in the world.

About "They have come here and are trying to make a contribution to the community", I like the folks at BIB just fine but they are running a bakery for christsakes, not an orphanage.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both places.

Before Bake and Bite moved I ate there often and I eat at Butter is Better at least once a day. Bake and Bite is in an inconvenient location for me now, so do not bother unless I happen to be near one of their shops.

My impression is that Bake and Bite is more worried about providing a tasty product at a reasonable cost where Butter is Better is more concerned with top quality and dam_n the price. That being said, I still think that Butter is Better is not expensive for what you get. Most of their bakery goods are as good as a decent bakery in a major Western city and less expensive despite having to pay for imported ingredients. Most of their baked stuff is better than any bakery that I have been to in Bangkok and cheaper.

Breakfast at both places is great although I like the potato choices better at Bake and Bite and the portions are huge. Butter is Better offers some unusual items like scrapple and the Elvis Sandwich (peanut butter, bacon and bananas), which I like from time to time and their sticky buns and cheese danishes are to die for.

I love the turkey sandwiches at Bake and Bite and they used to do a tuna salad with crushed walnuts that was excellent too. Butter is Better has some wonderful sandwiches, that taste just like at home, including their chicken salad and tuna salad which is exactly right. Most of their soups are really good too and that is unusual for Western restaurants in Chiang Mai.

Someone complained about not liking certain items on the menu, but I find this in even the best restaurants back home. Everyone does not like the same things done the same way.

I find the owners and staff in both places to be very helpful and friendly and am glad that we are finally getting such good restaurant choices in CM.

UG ... you better stop it ... I don't like agreeing with every point in your posts! We had better go back to fighting about the 'separate but equal' stance in that other thread.

They are both good places to eat with some things better at one than the other (menu selection on certain things etc) --- I do love their bread at BiB :)

sansai sam

re ... I for one am grateful for a taste of home

me too

i went in b is b yesterday to get out of the rain and had the last lemon mirague that was huge

that pie and a cup of tea was good

deve2

ps .. pics are uploding now ... thank you sbk tywas

post-42592-0-27390700-1308131456_thumb.j

post-42592-0-44677700-1308131998_thumb.j

To me, the bakery items at Butter Is Better are clearly a big step up from Bake & Bite. For the meals, I'd call the breakfast foods a draw unless you're from tthe east coast of the US and going through serious withdrawal from the absence of food such as cheese blintzes, scrapple, and fluffernutters (in that case Butter Is Better comes out on top). For lunches, I don't really care for either of them but especially not Bake & Bite. In both cases I find their lunch foods to be pretty bland, and in the case of Butter Is Better I think that their lunch food is far too health to be consistent with their newly adopted East Coast Diner theme. I don't think that they have a single lunch meal that tops 3000 calories.

I haven't been to Butter is Better since they remodeled, so I can't comment on the decor. I'm a breakfast fan and wouldn't do either for lunch myself either. After 3 trips to Butter is Better, I'll give the nod to BAKE & BITE. imho, Bake & Bite's eggs, breakfast meats, and potato pancakes are all far superior. (Sure, butter is better might have some "east coast of the US" specialties, but as a native NY'er I've never seen scrapple or fluffernutter on a menu in NYC.) They both have great pastries. But the biggest difference is the incredibly friendly owner and staff at both locations of Bake & Bite. imho, butter is better could take lessons there.

I’m surprised to read this. For us the sine qua non for staff is that they be friendly. Not afraid of farangs. And enjoy engaging in chitchat with the customers. We often get customers who tell us that they like the food at X, Y or Z but the staff isn’t friendly like at our place. As for the owners, modesty forbids any direct comments from us, but I will quote a post from someone in this very thread “It doesn't hurt that my daughter says your food is delicious and you're very friendly and kind.</SPAN>

i stand by what I wrote. It's not just the staff, it's the owners too. My problem at BiB was equally with the owner (Dao?). Maybe it was just a bad day. (I had a bad day once but I use breakfast to make me happy.)

But there's room enough in CM for more than one American Diner-type breakfast/lunch place. I also highly recommend Gonzo's Pun Pun for huge servings and great breakfasts and the Hideaway.

btw, the scrapple at BiB was excellent.

Hideaway is the place near Doi Saket tight? Where is that located? I am now running out of Western breakfast/brunch places. ;) The ones I visit include:

* Mad Dog (Though not with the wife & kids)

* Irish Pub

* Boat Restaurant on Huay Kaew

* Bake & Bite

* Miguel's at 89 Plaza

* Kafe on Moon Muang Rd

* Cafe Siam on Loi Kroh/Kamphaeng Din

* ... probably a couple more that I can't think of right now.

If it's a place that has both good Western food AND good and reasonably priced Thai food then that would be a huge plus. Being clean and air conditioned and with a comfortable seating area would also be a plus. (but not a hard requirement.)

There should be many more places around the old town area and towards the Night Bazar I think, but would like a recommendation. Some hotel restaurants perhaps, the remaining JJ Bakery.. others?

"am i being an old fart thinking that thats expensive iv lived here for years so not sure the price of bread in the uk anymore"

The answer to your question is....YES. I checked with friends in the US and a loaf of Wonderbread (puffed air in a bag) is 90 baht. Butter is Better is striving to provide quality and to give expats and Thais a taste of western food. Fluffernutter was NEVER on the menu. It was on the specials board for a short time months ago. The bakery does not sell french bread..it's Italian.

They have come here and are trying to make a contribution to the community. What contribution have most of you made other than sitting at your computer and criticizing everyone and everything? Please list your business so we can go in and review it.

I for one am grateful for a taste of home and congratulate them on their attempts. The reason these things are not common is because it's very difficult to do it correctly.

For the record I am also a fan of Bake & Bite and enjoy eating there regularly also.

Mentioning the fluffernutters was not intended to be a slam on BIB. Though if they were on the specials board instead of on the regular menu, then I agree with you -that does make all the difference in the world.

About "They have come here and are trying to make a contribution to the community", I like the folks at BIB just fine but they are running a bakery for christsakes, not an orphanage.

I guess you've never seen an expat reunited with a piece of Boston Cream Pie or a Rhubarb Buttercrust Pie after years of separation. It's enough to make even the most stoic orphan weep. I see the hand of God in this. Although I wish he would stop using that hand to squeeze the bread. Doesn't he realize that hand has been everywhere?

Edited by butterisbetter

I'm pretty sure that the Hideaway is off of the Hang Dong Road.

Hideaway - Directions: On Chiang Mai – Hod road (Hang Dong road 108) coming from central airport look out for the huge Siam Commercial Bank on the left and take the left turning before the bank. You will see the sign and just head down the road for about 200m. It's in Amornivet Village.

Map

Hideaway - Directions: On Chiang Mai – Hod road (Hang Dong road 108) coming from central airport look out for the huge Siam Commercial Bank on the left and take the left turning before the bank. You will see the sign and just head down the road for about 200m. It's in Amornivet Village.

Oh right, thank you. I remember it now. That's also Dacheeso's shop right.

Breakfast/brunch is really a tough sell within my family.. If it's nice fried eggs with bacon fried to specification on good toast and a perfect cup of coffee then "the maid could have made that at home in 10 minutes and it wouldn't cost 100 baht!". So it should either be cheap (say like Boat and perhaps Mad Dog), or there should be stuff on offer that's clearly not as easy to just make in 10 minutes at home; that's probably why Bake & Bite gets the nod. And it's probably why I run into trouble at BiB because when I see something on the menu that's fairly unique then I need to go for it. If I stuck to an ABF, some danish and perhaps a burger for the kids then I realize I would have a much better time. The orange juice was good, too.

Irish Pub also works, though no aircon. They do of course have baked their own whole-wheat bread for at least 20 years, for anyone who's into this bread thing. Seems pretty natural too given that it gets old in a day or two. (Compared to Farmhouse bread that seems designed to keep through the rest of the year. ;) )

BiB now have a branch in Nim City next ro Rim Ping Supermarket, which is where I nomally shop.

I have looked in the window at thier mouthwatering pies and may have purchased one or two, but because they are not busy the girl inside comes out and stands behind me.

This practice just does not work for me so I move on.

I consider this constructive critisim, but thats just ME, I hate being hassled or being put under pressure to buy so I just go, Maybe BiB make more sales with the girl coming outside, I have no idea what thier policy is, after all it's thier business.

Not personally my favorite, had egg benedict and the hollandaise sauce broken (liquidfied), it was horrible and the waitress very rudely told me "that is how we make it" . Gave it one more try and was as rudely treated and they did just not have an understanding of Western food or even tried to (a quick chk. on the internet could easily resolve the problems). My GF's Club sandwich on a crossant was actually real good.

BiB is a great place, esp. to hang up and kibitz w/the owner, though larger portions for the price would be appreciated for my large American appetite. Will try BaB asap.

Hideaway is the place near Doi Saket tight? Where is that located? I am now running out of Western breakfast/brunch places. ;) The ones I visit include:

The girls working in Rimping San Sai branch have always been polite, knowledgeable and just smiled when I said "just looking"

BiB now have a branch in Nim City next ro Rim Ping Supermarket, which is where I nomally shop.

I have looked in the window at thier mouthwatering pies and may have purchased one or two, but because they are not busy the girl inside comes out and stands behind me.

I consider this constructive critisim, but thats just ME, I hate being hassled or being put under pressure to buy so I just go, Maybe BiB make more sales with the girl coming outside, I have no idea what thier policy is, after all it's thier business.

Speaking of policy, I think far too many Farang run places over-manage their staff. I talked to some ex-Number 1 staff recently (forgot this episode in my LK discussion update. ;) ) and went through some of the rules. When customers receive their food, they are instructed to completely leave them alone. You have to actively claw them back. Same like when you're working on something on a laptop, as if people can't work and perv at the same time. Then another one that's super common is waitresses moving 10 paces away from you after handing you the menu. Again you have to call them over if you want some information or advice. Please, it's Thailand, there is no staff shortage, do it the Thai way and let the waitress be the waitress and allocate some time with the customer to help him with his order. In some cases it might prevent ordering disasters as well. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Actually, I hate that too. I will let her know not to do that to Farangs. Thais don't seem to mind it. They may even expect it. Thank you very much for the comment.

sansai sam

i went in b is b yesterday to get out of the rain and had the last lemon mirague that was huge

that pie and a cup of tea was good

deve2

Thanks for the recommendation, I had the Lemon Meringue today and it was as nice as my Mothers, now that takes some doing!!! I need to try the Apple pie next time and see if that's up to Mothers standard.

Actually, I hate that too. I will let her know not to do that to Farangs. Thais don't seem to mind it. They may even expect it. Thank you very much for the comment.

I can't tell you how many times I've been chased away from restaurants by that type of thing. The worst is when a restaurant puts a copy of their menu out on the sidewalk, and when you go to look at it staff from the restaurant immediately accost you and start suggesting items off the menu. Someone, somewhere, must think that that type of thing draws in more customers that it chases away, but I'm skpetical that it possibly could.

BIB on Chang Klang Rd has just about the right amount of sales pressure though (never been to the other branches so I can't comment on them)- basically if I want to talk to staff they will talk to me, and if I want to be left alone they respect it.

And about your prices, some in this thread opine that they are too high. My (Thai) wife takes the opposite view. She loves your place but would love it more if you doubled your prices, because if I spend twice as much on her it means that I love her twice as much. So please take care of that immediately. If the rest of your customers don't love their wives enough to pay your new prices, that's not my problem.

I can't tell you how many times I've been chased away from restaurants by that type of thing. The worst is when a restaurant puts a copy of their menu out on the sidewalk, and when you go to look at it staff from the restaurant immediately accost you and start suggesting items off the menu. Someone, somewhere, must think that that type of thing draws in more customers that it chases away, but I'm skpetical that it possibly could.

Why are you so scared of a waitress who comes out to highlight some menu items or answer questions? Consider that many people might have questions, say if they have any specific eating disaorder such as being vegetarian or something; then that warrants a discussion. If a waitress comes outside that's a service to you. She's not going to bite your head off is she. :rolleyes:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

And yet you are a critic of other restaurants and a semi-partner in Butter is Better.???? Oh..Oh.. I forgot to mention that!!!

And yet you are a critic of other restaurants and a semi-partner in Butter is Better.???? Oh..Oh.. I forgot to mention that!!!

Of course self-promotion is never practiced by those who believe they are better than everyone else :whistling:

. . . the best steak in town is at The Dukes . . .

Dave

Getgoin is a semi-partner of the Dukes Restaurant. Oh..Oh.. I forgot to mention that!!! :burp::cheesy:

I'm with the give-me-space-while-I-think camp. When the waiter hands you the menu and then stands there with his pad and pencil also annoys me. It is a reason not to return for me.

They do that everywhere in Thailand. I hate that.

Or when they, in an effort at self-promotion, stagger from table to table, often times removing french fries from unwitting patrons, thinking they are being social. :burp: Now that's REALLY annoying!