Real Fresh Fish In Markets/Restaurants?

nikkoid66

Wow...that's a pretty strange urban rumour...I think it would be pretty easy to smell a fish that has been dipped in formalin and therefore avoid it. Probably couldn't get much fresher than the Bali Hai or Naklau seafood markets.

I have to agree with the OP. Not all of course and i hope it is not a generality either but there is still a chemical used to keep the fishes looking fresh. I have seen it a dozen of times in some shrimp farms (i am in this business) just after harvest. However, it is not Formalin but an odorless chemical that keeps the meat firm. The main purpose is not to keep the fish looking fresh longer (as anyway in most of the times in less then 24 hours the fish is sold and probably eaten localy in Thailand which is far from being an issue when stored under good condition), but more to sell a bad quality farmed fish or shrimp (bad nutrition for fish gives bad meat) at a better price...

This is an Asian wide practice more or less controlled that is still legal in some of the asian countries for domestic sold seafood.

Wow...that's a pretty strange urban rumour...I think it would be pretty easy to smell a fish that has been dipped in formalin and therefore avoid it. Probably couldn't get much fresher than the Bali Hai or Naklau seafood markets.

I have to agree with the OP. Not all of course and i hope it is not a generality either but there is still a chemical used to keep the fishes looking fresh. I have seen it a dozen of times in some shrimp farms (i am in this business) just after harvest. However, it is not Formalin but an odorless chemical that keeps the meat firm. The main purpose is not to keep the fish looking fresh longer (as anyway in most of the times in less then 24 hours the fish is sold and probably eaten localy in Thailand which is far from being an issue when stored under good condition), but more to sell a bad quality farmed fish or shrimp (bad nutrition for fish gives bad meat) at a better price...

This is an Asian wide practice more or less controlled that is still legal in some of the asian countries for domestic sold seafood.

I should think the some chemical it's dipped in would be the least of your worries. Have you seen the state of the SEA round Thailand. Just go look at it in Pattaya then watch the boat's at night when they go Squid fishing a few km off the beach. Now that's something to really worry about.

I should think the some chemical it's dipped in would be the least of your worries. Have you seen the state of the SEA round Thailand. Just go look at it in Pattaya then watch the boat's at night when they go Squid fishing a few km off the beach. Now that's something to really worry about.

quite a statement; I have no concerns re water quality here - further down the gulf, Chanthaburi.

We often buy direct from the fishermen at the pier, south end Chao Lao beach, never had any complaint.

Fish at the evening markets here will often have been landed that day.

On this general subject, what about shrimp & prawns?

We buy local shrimp & prawns all the time at the local markets. Fresh, delicious and reasonably priced. When we get 'em home, we peel 'em and then devein 'em. There's a lotta nasty, dirty stuff in those digestive tracts... really. And, truth be told, we'll order shrimp or prawns when we go out to eat sometimes, too (gotten sick: once).

But. how many people think the delicious shrimps/prawns, they order at local restaurants have been properly cleaned? (how many local chefs do you think ever devein their shrimp or prawns here in Pattaya?) Show of hands (mine are folded)...? A conundrum, chai mai?

B)