Indian Arrested With $2Million Of Drugs In Thailand

webfact

Indian arrested with $2million of drugs in Thailand

BANGKOK, June 16, 2011 (AFP) - Thai authorities on Wednesday arrested and charged an Indian man on suspicion of smuggling the illegal drug ketamine with an estimated street value of $2 million, a customs official said.

The 44-year-old arrived on a flight from Mumbai with three containers containing ketamine weighing a total of 20 kilos (44 pounds) in his possession, said Seree Thaijongrak, director of the Investigation and Suppression Bureau.

He was supposed to catch an internal connecting flight to the southern resort of Krabi, but Thai authorities became suspicious because of the length of his planned visit and his unusual route from Chennai via Mumbai.

"He is not an ordinary tourist because his visit is very short," Seree said.

He said the drugs may have been intended for re-export to neighbouring countries or sale to foreign tourists in Thailand.

The man was charged with trafficking and smuggling class B drugs and faces up to 20 years in prison and a fine of 400,000 baht ($13,140).

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-06-16

Indian national arrested at airport with 20kg of ketamine

image_2011061517120092C94028-D5AA-C748-B54F8708ED5D679A.jpg

BANGKOK, June 16 – An Indian man was detained at the Thai capital’s Suvarnabhumi Airport for allegedly smuggling 20kg of ketamine, known as 'K', worth Bt60 million (US$2 million) into the kingdom, customs officers announced at a news briefing on Wednesday.

Khadher Mohideen Sherif Khaja Mohhdeen, 44, was arrested on arrival at Thailand’s main international airport with the illicit drug. The suspect travelling from India’s Mumbai was in transit to connect another flight to Krabi Airport.

During baggage inspection, customs officers found three stainless steel pails in which the suspicious white power was hidden. The authorities carried out a chemical test which identified the substance as katamine.

The initial investigation indicated that the suspect was hired for 15,000 Rupees (over Bt21,000) to smuggle and deliver the drugs to customers in the southern Andaman coastal province of Krabi.

The customs officers surmised that the impounded katamine may have been set for sale to other customers in Thailand’s southern region or to be delivered to neighbouring Malaysia.

He was charged with possessing an illegal drug for sale and with carrying the illicit drug into the kingdom. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-06-16

Indian caught in drug bust

By The Nation

30157931-01.jpg

Police yesterday arrested an Indian national at Suvarnabhumi Airport allegedly attempting to smuggle in 20 kilograms of the illegal tranquilliser ketamine, worth about Bt60 million.

Khadher Mohideen Sherif Khaja Mohhdeen, 44, was apprehended after police said they found the substance in his cargo upon arrival on a Thai Airways International flight from Mumbai.

Mohhdeen has been charged with smuggling illegal narcotics and possessing them with intent to sell.

During a news conference in which he was paraded before the media, the man sobbed and fainted at one point, before receiving first aid.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-16

He said the drugs may have been intended for re-export to neighbouring countries or sale to foreign tourists in Thailand.

I'm wondering what sort of tourists are taking those drugs................:jap:

I agree. And it's never like a Thai person has taken drugs......bad farang, again!!!

Looking at the size of the SS pail shown in the photo, you could hardly call that smuggling if he was carrying 3 of those. Looks like he was tresspassing on someone else's turf and his handlers didnt cover all angles.

Obviously, for sale to bad foreign tourists that come to Thailand just to get stoned. Since there's no way a Thai would ever take drugs, or drink whiskey, or drink lao kao (which is also only sold to bad foreigners). Just like no Thai would ever strip naked and dance in a bar, or take money for sex, oh no ...only foreigners do that.

:rolleyes:

"He is not an ordinary tourist because his visit is very short," that right, has to stay 28 days, then overstay a couple of years, go to immigration to pay the 20,000 baht fine....come back a week later to start again

He had 20kg's of K?

Thats a serious amount of Ketamine and he was going to Krabi with it?

LB's love Ketamine I am surprised he wasn't staying in BKK unless he thought taking an internal down country would make passing customs easier?

Either way he's got a 20 stretch coming........

I agree. And it's never like a Thai person has taken drugs......bad farang, again!!!

i don't know why they don't give farang a second stamp on entry to the kingdom { IN THE FORM OF A SPLIFF OR A NEEDLE }

or just brand us all as jumkie's

:realangry::realangry::realangry:

Looking at the size of the SS pail shown in the photo, you could hardly call that smuggling if he was carrying 3 of those. Looks like he was tresspassing on someone else's turf and his handlers didnt cover all angles.

Seconded

Seconded

For some reason I believe that the K wound up exactly where it was supposed to. The Mule did not know, but the probability that the package being delivered in such wrapping to any other agency is extremely low.

Since when Indians are called farangs? :jap:

"He is not an ordinary tourist because his visit is very short," that right, has to stay 28 days, then overstay a couple of years, go to immigration to pay the 20,000 baht fine....come back a week later to start again

Actually I have been through very rigorous searches (including them taking the linings of my luggage out) because I was staying in a country for less than 72 hours. Where? Australia. Back in the day, when I needed a new Thai visa I flew to Perth and my duration of stay is why they said they chose the intensive search. I explained that I really only needed about 15 minutes at the honorary Thai consulate, and would have flown out the next day if the ticketing restrictions had not required 3 days :) I do have to say, they were very pleasant about the whole thing but the handles of my bag never did work again!