Thai Army Denies Suthep Met Army Chief

webfact

Army denies Suthep met Army chief

By The Nation

The Army has denied speculation linking Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban to the televised speech by Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha urging voters to rally behind the monarchy and cast ballots for "good people".

"Suthep did not pay a visit to Army headquarters and meet with Prayuth on Tuesday as speculated," Army spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday.

Sansern said the Army chief made the speech to reaffirm the military's non-involvement in the July 3 vote.

Suthep said he suspected a smear campaign was maliciously portraying the Democrats as seeking the Army's backing.

He said media professionals should have tried to verify the false rumour of his 40-minute meeting with Prayuth before the televised speech.

As evidence to the contrary, he released his scheduled appointments for Tuesday, which confirmed his whereabouts and showed there was no time for any unscheduled meeting.

Pheu Thai candidate Yingluck Shinawatra said she had no objection to Prayuth's speech, since her party opposed the politicising of the country's revered institution.

Yingluck said she was hopeful that voters would judge her party on its policies, rather than on individuals. She was commenting on concerns that certain members of the disbanded People Power Party were critical of the monarchy.

She said her own meeting with Prayuth was likely to take place after the vote because she wanted to discuss how to bring about national reconciliation and solidarity.

In Prayuth's speech, aired via Army-controlled Channels 5 and 7, the general said he fully supported the election as a way to overcome the political predicament.

He called on media outlets not to spread biased views that were designed to drive a wedge between the people and the armed forces in the lead-up to the July 3 vote.

Certain outlets, particularly those broadcast via satellite, were instrumental in raising divisive issues to agitate the people, he said in reference to programmes geared towards red and yellow shirts.

He suggested that the Election Commission look into the matter to rein in biased and false reports designed to sway votes.

Commenting on the politically motivated violence of the past two years, he said the rule of law must be upheld to ensure justice. It was regrettable that innocent people and security forces had been killed in the bloodshed, he said, arguing that each incident should be resolved under due process and not by apportioning blame.

He said he worried about a surge in offensive attacks on the monarchy. He singled out fugitives such as Giles Ungpakorn and Jakrapob Penkair for their smears.

He urged those campaigning for the repeal of the lese majeste law to reconsider, saying legal action would not be taken if no offences were committed or suspected.

In concluding his remarks, he called on voters to turn out in large numbers to bring about a change for the better.

"I wish every voter would make an objective decision on how to safeguard the country and the monarchy," he said, calling for "good people" to be given the chance to administer the country.

Chart Thai Pattana Party leader Chumpol Silapa-archa expressed his trust that the military would remain politically neutral during the election.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-16

It seem to me that Yingluck is far more intelligent and smart than every other wide mouth running Thai politician including Abhisit..

And you've worked that out from a couple of sound-bites from pre-scripted interviews and speeches?

It seem to me that Yingluck is far more intelligent and smart than every other wide mouth running Thai politician including Abhisit..

And you've worked that out from a couple of sound-bites from pre-scripted interviews and speeches?

When her ever utterance in publicly is scripted by a committee and or Thaksin himself of course she will stay on message. Todays message is attempting to link Suthep to the army and attempt to diminish Prayuths speech.

The real question is not delivering the days canned stump speeches, but can she think on her feet when a real negotiator is sitting there waiting for an answer to real world tough questions. This is totally speculative about her not, there is NO proof she can do this at this time.

Edited by animatic

Lets see who is the more intelligent/smart one when Abhisit and Yingluck meet for a public face-to-face debate on party policy etc.

Oh yeah, that's right... she doesn't want to do that, i guess shes figured out that bursting out into tears isn't going to help her win that one.

Lets see who is the more intelligent/smart one when Abhisit and Yingluck meet for a public face-to-face debate on party policy etc.

Oh yeah, that's right... she doesn't want to do that, i guess shes figured out that bursting out into tears isn't going to help her win that one.

That's not the reason, she's waiting for the right time. With pre-election on the 26th that leaves us uptill/including the 25th. I'm afraid the 31st of this month is out of the question, against the Election Law ;)

Okay. the one way we could all see this is for a live head to head on party policies, on TV , why does she keep refusing to go in from of the whole country in a live discussion with Abhisit. ? Maybe she is all make up and false smiles. Get her on live, lets see her at work, let her address questions about amnesty for criminals in front of the whole country. This is something Yingluck will not do... And we all know who is pulling her strings..!

It was regrettable that innocent people and security forces had been killed in the bloodshed, he said, arguing that each incident should be resolved under due process and not by apportioning blame.

Seems like the General thinks the concepts of 'due process' and 'apportioning blame' are mutually exclusive.

He must be a closet fan of amnesties.... ;)

And Suthep meeting with any army general is bad because?

The only conceivable logic is because

the PTP don't like Suthep and don't like The General's.

So it MUST be 'bad' that they would 'meet' .

Utter nonsense, just part of their PR spin-campaign.

Not to mention, that they need not meet face to face for things to happen anyway one way or another.

Edited by animatic

Watch this interview and then come back and tell me you stand by that statement. I challenge you.

Watch this interview and then come back and tell me you stand by that statement. I challenge you.

A graduate of USA uni, and speaks no better??

he is the deputy PM, in a time of political turmoil is he not allowed to meet with officials of any branch of the people that work for him?

who gives a dam_n what the reds think anyway, paranoia is their mantra.......

I think it is the Democrats Party and the army are being paranoid here....they are afraid of losing the election.... :lol:

Yippee - A puppet contest

Thaksins daughter v the army's Abhisit.

Sooty to be the kingmaker in a coalition

The rest are just a bunch of Kermits.

The people will decide which puppet will obey their wishes

A public debate with who? The boring loser Abhisit? Why wasting time for that when its not necessary for your campaign and your win.

She will win the election.

Thai people are not retarded and judge her by one 4 minute clip on youtube.

:P

She will win the election.

Thai people are not retarded and judge her by one 4 minute clip on youtube.

:P

Nobody i know of is saying that Thai people are retarded, and as for what they judge her on, well, who are you to speak on their behalf?

Why not stick to speaking for yourself, and tell me what you made of that interview? Go on, be honest, give it a try.

A public debate with who? The boring loser Abhisit? Why wasting time for that when its not necessary for your campaign and your win.

Some misguided notion of democracy and debate of party-policies, to inform & help the voters to make up their minds, perhaps ?

Or do you fear that Ms Yingluck may look less-than-impressive, against even "the boring loser Abhisit", if put to the test ? B)

The Thai army would also deny the following:

- That prostitution exists in Thailand.

- That they ever launched a Coup d'Etat.

Just for the fun of it, the Thai army also denied any involvement in the possible death of a possibly fake Montenegran stand-in:

"If Thaksin were Osama…-Prachatai

09-06-11

Shoot first, ask no questions later"

http://facthai.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/if-thaksin-were-osama-prachatai/

Edited by rubl

Some misguided notion of democracy and debate of party-policies, to inform & help the voters to make up their minds, perhaps ?

Or do you fear that Ms Yingluck may look less-than-impressive, against even "the boring loser Abhisit", if put to the test ? B)

To quote John Major

"Every party politician that expects to lose tries that trick of debates and every politician who expects to win says no"

Or Margret Thatch official refusal:

"We're not electing a president, we're choosing a government."

In the UK it was just last year when the first ever televised leaders debate took place. And all the previous years nothing like that happened, but i guess the voters had a chance to inform themselves somehow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/election_2010/8612153.stm

Up to you how you wanna spin it, if Yinluck fears the debate or just has better things to do

If she don't participate they will do it because she thinks it is the better strategy.

If she wouldn't lead in all the polls, had lesser media attention she would probably take the chance such a debate offers. But she leads the polls, is on the TV channels.

Sure a debate would bring a lot of viewers who could listen to her party policies, the smaller parties just alone would get a much lower viewing rate and lesser attraction. No matter who has the best debating skills and can sell the party policies better just from the additional media exposure alone the smaller parties have more to gain than Yingluck and PT.

It can have various reason if she refuse to take part. Abhisit said a couple of times that he is ready to challenge her. And she? She ignores him, didn't said yes yet, nor gave a clear no. Only when i have time for you, maybe. She plays with him and telling him in the a polite Thai way and in a Thai Lady way what she thinks of him. And she plays with the media. Keeps us in suspense.

Maybe we hear a last minute yes or she just keeps ignoring him and his buddy Suthep. Silent treatment :P

She is a winner! Abhisit not.