Ex-Premier Thaksin Return To Thailand Not Possible: Deputy PM Suthep

webfact

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...Amazingly, very little is known about the groom, besides that he is an architect with SC Assets who was just promoted to an executive position with the company.

His name is unpublished.

No doubt this is not illegal, and the Thaksin supporters will loudly tell us so, but for a publicly listed company to promote someone based on the fact that he is to marry the largest shareholder does seem to be ethically wrong. Maybe he is worthy of the job, but has he bypassed anyone more suitable? Or has the position been manufactured just for him (just as Yingluck's apparently was)? Surely the "common" shareholders deserve to know, and this guy's name and qualifications should be made known to them. To me this just reeks of the grubby nature in which the Shinawatra family does business.

The percentage of all "common" shareholders in SC Asset is in the single digits.

The Shinawatra clan and its supposedly divorced Damaphong clan members own a huge majority of stock.

Whatever they say, goes, including the committee that selected Pingthongta, in the first real job of her life, to become boss of the company as its Executive Director.

She shares that aspect with her PM Wannabe aunt, Yingluck.... quite fitting that she takes Yingluck's place with the company.

Look for Prime Minister Pingthongta in 2020 or so.

Edited by Buchholz

...Amazingly, very little is known about the groom, besides that he is an architect with SC Assets who was just promoted to an executive position with the company.

His name is unpublished.

No doubt this is not illegal, and the Thaksin supporters will loudly tell us so, but for a publicly listed company to promote someone based on the fact that he is to marry the largest shareholder does seem to be ethically wrong. Maybe he is worthy of the job, but has he bypassed anyone more suitable? Or has the position been manufactured just for him (just as Yingluck's apparently was)? Surely the "common" shareholders deserve to know, and this guy's name and qualifications should be made known to them. To me this just reeks of the grubby nature in which the Shinawatra family does business.

I'm less concerned with the promotion than the fact nobody knows who he is.

He's someone who is set for life joining into a family of numerous individual Billionaires and Billionairesses.

I wonder what her sin sod was. :unsure:

It'll be a shame if her Dad misses the marriage of his first child, but I understand he has his own priorities and the wishes of his family have always taken a back seat to his own individual aggrandizement and power.

Edited by Buchholz

You guys are missing the point completely. There is a power vacuum that exists in Thailand. Weather it's real or perceived it doesn't matter. What matters is that Thai's are fed up with the lack of progress at balancing the benefits of the progress of the country and they are sick of the failure to address some pretty big issues like drugs and corruption. That fact that it has reached this level of desperation that would make Thakson appear to be the savior only points to the gross failure of the dem's to manage things.

They had their shot and they blew it. They couldn't control their own people who shut down the airport and they weren't smart enough to inspect the protesters entering the red demonstration to prevent weapons. They have demonstrated their incompetence which has lead to the desperation for leadership.

Where do you think these people like Hitler and Saddam come from? They are the products of a leadership vacuum. Before they went nuts, both of them lead their countries in the way that the people wanted. They produced dramatic results that no committee has ever done or ever will do.

have to agree. So those who cant see it and cant see connection between Taksins tactics and Hitler Saddam and rest are in for a real lesson which sadly will quite probably result in thousands if not millions of innocent deaths. The greatest pain will be felt by Taksins own poor cannon fodder deluded supporters. We have exit routes as have all of the elite not so poor here. Wait and see. Its now probably all down to weather Taksin can buy off the army or weather Army step in this time with force to fill vacuum. I know which id prefer but in end if worst happens I will only loose a lot of money and leave hoping that in my lifetime Thais see what they have done. Eventually tyrants like Hitler Saddam destroy themselves. They cant help it. Taksin will do same but like others will take a lot of innocent people with him.

You guys are missing the point completely. There is a power vacuum that exists in Thailand. Weather it's real or perceived it doesn't matter. What matters is that Thai's are fed up with the lack of progress at balancing the benefits of the progress of the country and they are sick of the failure to address some pretty big issues like drugs and corruption. That fact that it has reached this level of desperation that would make Thakson appear to be the savior only points to the gross failure of the dem's to manage things.

They had their shot and they blew it. They couldn't control their own people who shut down the airport and they weren't smart enough to inspect the protesters entering the red demonstration to prevent weapons. They have demonstrated their incompetence which has lead to the desperation for leadership.

Where do you think these people like Hitler and Saddam come from? They are the products of a leadership vacuum. Before they went nuts, both of them lead their countries in the way that the people wanted. They produced dramatic results that no committee has ever done or ever will do.

PTP's answer to the corruption issue is to declare amnesty for it.

"Speaking to reporters in his capacity as Democrat Party secretary-general, Mr Suthep said it is not possible for Mr Thaksin to return home, otherwise he would in effect be the only Thai who is above the law, that is the judgement of the courts."

What a joke ! As the wikileaks site shows, the laws have been modified after the coup to justify the coup and to find Mr Thaksin guilty of corruption. He can't be convicted for breaching a law that didn't exist at the time he was PM.

Please check here : http://en.wikipedia....i/Retroactivity

Thaksin is not above of the law, he is a victim of a law that has been corrupted by the coup makers and their appointed government.

Wikileaks documents are now available, check for yourself.

r u delusional??? there's no doubt about the fact that he's a criminal. tax evasion, vote buying, the 1500 people that got killed in the drug of war without interrogation, trial or any proof in a lot of cases, the land deal his wife did with the government which he explicitly sanctioned even though it was against the law at the time etc etc etc. i hope he comes back so they can put him in jail.

Suthep does not keep it for possible either, that the amnesty laws protecting coup takers will be repelled, that he ends up in The Hague in the International Court and that certain eras come to an end. But when rapists of democracy install a rubber stamp government and grant themselves amnesty, a new government can do the same. It is of course much more fun when there is a truth and reconciliation commission who plays "hardtalk" with everyone. I love to see Prem and Sonthi, Prayuth and judges sweating. It can take a while, but we see it happening in Latin America and it will happen in Thailand too. Most probably sooner than later. Suharto disappeared in a matter of months, we have seen it happening with so many leaders and institutions.

Suthep does not keep it for possible either, that the amnesty laws protecting coup takers will be repelled, that he ends up in The Hague in the International Court and that certain eras come to an end. But when rapists of democracy install a rubber stamp government and grant themselves amnesty, a new government can do the same. It is of course much more fun when there is a truth and reconciliation commission who plays "hardtalk" with everyone. I love to see Prem and Sonthi, Prayuth and judges sweating. It can take a while, but we see it happening in Latin America and it will happen in Thailand too. Most probably sooner than later. Suharto disappeared in a matter of months, we have seen it happening with so many leaders and institutions.

The last army installed government was that of Gen Surayud. All three following governments had properly elected MP's, PM's, even if some were clear proxies for some fugitive. Any proper government will (or at least should) abide by the law. Therefor an amnesty even after 'modification' of laws is out of the question. Or, again, should be!

The percentage of all "common" shareholders in SC Asset is in the single digits.

The Shinawatra clan and its supposedly divorced Damaphong clan members own a huge majority of stock.

Whatever they say, goes, including the committee that selected Pingthongta, in the first real job of her life, to become boss of the company as its Executive Director.

She shares that aspect with her PM Wannabe aunt, Yingluck.... quite fitting that she takes Yingluck's place with the company.

Look for Prime Minister Pingthongta in 2020 or so.

I agree that there are relatively few 'common" shareholders, and you wouldn't get me investing in such a corruptly run business. Never the less, it is a publically listed company, and its shares are traded on the Thai stock exchange. It is therefore not unreasonable to expect certain ethical procedures to be followed. Or is the Thai stock exchange unconcerned about what the companies listed under it get up to?

im sure taksin wont make the same mistakes as last time.

and i think you f/t forum taksin haters should keep yr predictions alone for a while.

because if the polls are accurate, you all got it totally wrong!!

Give Thaksin credit for one thing. He always finds new mistakes to make. According to the Bangkok Post today, PTP may abandon their amnesty plans and substitute it with an inquisition "justice panels" which will lead to Thaksin's triumphant return. It's got a certain Khmer Rouge feel about the whole thing, huh?

The International Court would do sweet FA about the generals involved in the 2006 coup.

IF PTP/Thaksin get's control of the army, THEN they might do something about those generals.

Wow, a lot of passion here for a bunch who can't vote.

I started out thinking that Abhist was my preference because he's a pretty smart guy, but it is clear that he is not acceptable to the majority of Thai's. Furthermore I think he botched the red demonstrations in BKK and his lack of leadership facilitated that terrible outcome. It's great to have intelligence, but politics is a dirty business and it's about using power intelligently. If his inability to control the red mob in BKK is any indication of his abilities what will he do with the social unrest that will occur if he is elected?

Thaksin is a bad guy, but he has a proven record of managing things that need to be managed. I think that foreign investors won't care who is elected as long as the country doesn't explode into chaos.

Bottom line; I don't care who gets elected as long as they keep a grip on the country's stability and keep things rolling along.

I spent my passion on Obama and he's been a disappointment.

I agree, but for me after living here as long as I have, I just cannot help myself from spewing a few lines on TV, Abhisit I believe can achieve certain goals and for all of his faults, I believe he is the better choice under these current circumstances. Someone once told me " A perfectly believable falsehood is more useful than the inexplicable truth"

Inexplicable truth? do I not see pictures of Genash and Siva, are they not the inexplicable truth?

have to agree. So those who cant see it and cant see connection between Taksins tactics and Hitler Saddam and rest are in for a real lesson which sadly will quite probably result in thousands if not millions of innocent deaths. The greatest pain will be felt by Taksins own poor cannon fodder deluded supporters. We have exit routes as have all of the elite not so poor here. Wait and see. Its now probably all down to weather Taksin can buy off the army or weather Army step in this time with force to fill vacuum. I know which id prefer but in end if worst happens I will only loose a lot of money and leave hoping that in my lifetime Thais see what they have done. Eventually tyrants like Hitler Saddam destroy themselves. They cant help it. Taksin will do same but like others will take a lot of innocent people with him.

You could be right, you could be wrong I don't know. Every civilization has gone through these kinds of things making the transition from autocratic to democratic. I don't think that there is a "pretty" way to get it done. I submit that democratic process hasn't produced any of the things that prompted humans to vote for it in the first place. Humans respect strong leadership and they are not born out of committees. Democratic civilizations are failing all around the world because democracy has been hijacked by clever manipulators who understand human psychology and are using it to convince supposedly educated, intelligent people to vote against their own self interest and the interest of their countries.

Remember back in the 60's when we were all believing that the work week would be shortened to 3 days and we would all have a month vacation every year and 3 months every 5 years? All the technology was going to make life free and easy and we could spend our off time doing things we enjoyed? I thought those were pretty good goals, still do. What happened? Now people are working themselves to death and needing medications of various sorts just to make it through the day and then more medication to get to sleep. Most westerners are drowning in their own adrenaline because they live fear based lives. They live fear based lives because they have no leaders looking out for them.

Whoever Thailand chooses won't matter because a economic tsunami is just around the corner and we will all be suffering.

PTP's answer to the corruption issue is to declare amnesty for it.

trisailor ----

You are missing the plot entirely.

Thaksin's answer to drugs drove up the price (benefitting who?) and killed over 1400 innocents and 12-1300 more people without a trial. Corruption was worse with Thaksin at the helm as well. Who was "in control" in 2008 when the PAD went to the airports? Oh yeah, that would be PPP, Thaksin's proxy (poxy?) party .... The Dems weren't in control and the PAD are not the dems (unlike the UDD which are Thaksin/PTP)

The very idea of Thaksin as leader misses the point, since he attained (obtained?) what he did via purchasing the regional power families. He was blindsided both by the coup and the defection of at least 2 of those power blocs ...

Thaksin isn't a Hitler nor a Saddam --- he's closer to being a cross between Eva and Juan Peron rolled into one person.

There is no "leadership vacuum" in Thailand ... but if someone could invent one (pun intended) that would suck up and destroy corrupt leaders Abhisit and Korn and a few others would be the only ones left standing.

A lot of comments about uneducated. Again Arrogance prevails, by both Thais and Farang

If you want to change the World, start by changing yourself, then we might have that peaceful World we all desire

I dont say the current goverment is best for Thailand , but one thing is for sure the thai people are better of with Thaksin staying in Dubai!! The family Shinawatra is only good for the family Shinawatra , dont think that they even for a second have the best for thai people or the country in mind.

Who ever wins the election it have to be for the best of the people and country and you can not do this with known criminals!!!

And dont tell me this convictions was all a set up to remove Taksin from power , he was just corrupt like many other in thai society.

its so bad that they just have own intrest @ hand and not for what is best for a great country as thailand!!!

KEEP THAKSIN IN DUBAI !!!!!!

Wow, a lot of passion here for a bunch who can't vote.

I started out thinking that Abhist was my preference because he's a pretty smart guy, but it is clear that he is not acceptable to the majority of Thai's. Furthermore I think he botched the red demonstrations in BKK and his lack of leadership facilitated that terrible outcome. It's great to have intelligence, but politics is a dirty business and it's about using power intelligently. If his inability to control the red mob in BKK is any indication of his abilities what will he do with the social unrest that will occur if he is elected?

Thaksin is a bad guy, but he has a proven record of managing things that need to be managed. I think that foreign investors won't care who is elected as long as the country doesn't explode into chaos.

Bottom line; I don't care who gets elected as long as they keep a grip on the country's stability and keep things rolling along.

I spent my passion on Obama and he's been a disappointment.

Oh wise one, pray tell us how you would have handled "the red demonstrations in BKK"? Why don't you call it what it was, an armed insurrection disguised as a protest?What would you have done if the RPG had ignited the fuel tank farm?

you wouldn't get me investing in such a corruptly run business.

Suit yourself. The most money I ever made was from a series of pyramid schemes run by a "friend" How do YOU think people get rich? Through honest investing? How's your not investing in corrupt business working out for you? Most profitable business has a little bit of corruption going for it.

Thaksin will be back and go to Gaol.

Thaksin will be back and be pardoned.

Thaksin will be back and pardoned by amnesty.

Thaksin will be back and be wearing an ankle bracelet at home.

One way or another he will be back, so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Edited by OZEMADE

"All 65 million Thais might find it unacceptable"

All of 'em? Ha, ha! Wait and see K. Suthep, wait and see.

Suthept is living in fantasy land - most Thais I meet (up North and in BKK) support PT - I'm sure they will win the largest single vote for any party and have a mandate

As amnesty for Thaksin is not a PTP policy, how would they have a mandate? Democracy is NOT a system where those who get the most votes get to do whatever they please. If the legislature tries to subvert the other branches, like Thaksin tried before, IMHO it will trigger another coup.

Oh wise one, pray tell us how you would have handled "the red demonstrations in BKK"? Why don't you call it what it was, an armed insurrection disguised as a protest?What would you have done if the RPG had ignited the fuel tank farm?

I would have done what most other countries would have done required a permit (they may have) and inspect every person and object brought into the area. Security experts are well aware of what can happen if these things get out of hand and they know how to prevent it.

My car got "sniffed" going through a toll gate once because there was a Greatful Dead concert nearby.

A competent leader would have had intelligence on the gathering and would have controlled the outcome. Simple really.

I would have done what most other countries would have done required a permit (they may have) and inspect every person and object brought into the area. Security experts are well aware of what can happen if these things get out of hand and they know how to prevent it.

My car got "sniffed" going through a toll gate once because there was a Greatful Dead concert nearby.

A competent leader would have had intelligence on the gathering and would have controlled the outcome. Simple really.

Great idea! and if they refused to stop and be searched, would you have shot them?

Who ever wins the election it have to be for the best of the people and country and you can not do this with known criminals!!!

So I take it you have no problem with a government that includes Deputy PM Suthep, who's own dodgy dealings helped to bring down Chuan's govt

Even if he comes back in some form or another the people are not just going to breath a sigh of relief, their going to expect results and I have no doubt that if they don't get them they will continue to seek them by whatever means they chose.

I can't say with any certainty that Thaksin will fix everything, but he will buy some breathing room and he is probably the best guy to "convince" the real power in Thailand that they need to "share the wealth." I'm a poker player not an intellectual. I look at the odds and the best odds for stability is the reds getting a shot. Conveniently it is also the most likely outcome.

I think that many of you are basing your views on what you have been taught to think; that democracy is good, socialism is bad, etc. If you think objectively you must see that democracy is a failing social system because it cannot react fast enough to the changing times.

Let the man come back for his daughter's wedding - it's only fair. And the gardens at the BKK Hilton would be more than suitable. a few of the guests could get their warrants served and take up long term residence with the father of the bride.

you wouldn't get me investing in such a corruptly run business.

Suit yourself. The most money I ever made was from a series of pyramid schemes run by a "friend" How do YOU think people get rich? Through honest investing? How's your not investing in corrupt business working out for you? Most profitable business has a little bit of corruption going for it.

Building the better mouse trap, writing the book that resonates,

being able to connect with people and sell, or just being in the right place at the right time with the right product.

Not all rich got rich through, Pyramid schemes that rip off the late entrants, , sweetheart back room deals and kickbacks, abusing the very people you are pretending to help, and general immoral actions.

That is the style of the amoral businessman, or plain criminal.

Edited by animatic

Even if he comes back in some form or another the people are not just going to breath a sigh of relief, their going to expect results and I have no doubt that if they don't get them they will continue to seek them by whatever means they chose.

I can't say with any certainty that Thaksin will fix everything, but he will buy some breathing room and he is probably the best guy to "convince" the real power in Thailand that they need to "share the wealth." I'm a poker player not an intellectual. I look at the odds and the best odds for stability is the reds getting a shot. Conveniently it is also the most likely outcome.

I think that many of you are basing your views on what you have been taught to think; that democracy is good, socialism is bad, etc. If you think objectively you must see that democracy is a failing social system because it cannot react fast enough to the changing times.

" I'm a poker player not an intellectual............... democracy is a failing social system............"

The greatest minds of the last 20 centuries have decided that democracy, while not perfect, is the best system devised so far, but we should take your word for it that it's stuffed. And as

"The most money I ever made was from a series of pyramid schemes............" I gather that you're not even much of a poker player. You do seem to have an affection for criminals though.

Edited by OzMick