Passport Smuggler Gets 3 Years

Buff-horns

Algerian wanted on London bombs jailed in Thailand

By Oleg Shchedrov

BANGKOK (Reuters) - An Algerian wanted in Britain for an alleged connection to the July 7 London bombs was jailed for three years in Bangkok on Thursday for forging passports, Thai officials said. Atamnia Yacine, 33, arrested in the Thai capital in August with 180 fake French and Spanish passports, was guilty of making false travel documents, officials said.

"He pleaded guilty in court and got a three year jail term," Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaisit Deesuk told Reuters.

Thai newspapers have reported that police suspected Yacine may have supplied fake travel documents used in the London attacks which killed 52 commuters and wounded 700 and London police said they were working to seek his extradition.

Thailand is notorious as a centre for the production and distribution of fake travel documents.

However, Thai police have been under pressure to clamp down on the trade, which security analysts say makes it easier for international militants to hide their identities and travel undetected.

Thailand's Attorney-General Office said on Thursday it had received the British extradition request, but needed more.

"Britain has not sent us any prosecution report, so we still can't extradite him," spokesman Sirisak Tiyapan told Reuters.

Copyright © 2005 Reuters

• 3 weeks later...

So that would explain why I had such a hard time at Bangkok airport

one year ago before boarding an EVA air flight to London.

Just because of my name EVA called in an Australian

checker for counterfeit passports. I am English.

After many Thai lies I was summoned before the Australian man with a suitcase

full of goodies like ultra violet and scanners and a magnifying glass.

After 5 minutes of this he had to admit that he could find nothing wrong with my passport.

They do make good English passports in Swansea even if they are in Wales.