Heart By-Pass Surgery

chuenyongman

Hi Thaivisa Members,

Has any of the members had a heart by-pass? I had a by-pass 14 months ago, and where they removed the veins from my legs. I still am experincing numbness in my legs. I were wondering if any of other members has had this experience and will the nerves grow back to a normal feeling? Thank you in advance for your replies.

i had my surgery (quadruple coronary and single aorta bypass) 2½ years ago (nov 2008) and only recently the numbness in my right leg (from where the veins were taken) receded to near zero. but there's still some numbness left in the toes.

pain, numbness and certain hot/cold sensations of the chest took about 1½ years to disappear.

what medications are you chaps taking? besides beta-blockers i still have to take diuretics every other day to prevent liquid build-up in my legs.

perindopril,amlodipine,bisoprolol fumarate, warfarin and statins, at first my ankles used to swell up but i have had none at all the last 15months

what medications are you chaps taking? besides beta-blockers i still have to take diuretics every other day to prevent liquid build-up in my legs.

From chuenyongman. It was a triple heart bypass I had. I was on Bicor heart tablets and/or Carvedilol heart tablets. For the last 25+ years my normal pulse rate has been 60 B.P.M. The heart tablets I was taking reduced my pulse rate to 43 which was too low and gave me dizzy spells, nausea and other side effects. The doctor informed me to stop the heart tablets. I retain fluid in my feet and ankles and the prescribed Moduretic tablets (No name),did not appear to work too well. My daughter gave me some Dimasix 40Mg.These seemed to work more vigorously. I discovered if I elevated my feet and legs for periods of time after a few days my feet would go back to normal size. This has all happened the last few weeks.

Stanford Doctors told me 2-3 years for numbness and normal feeling to return. The more you exercise your legs (walk a lot) the faster it'll heal. I walk 4-6kms about every three days. Not only good for the legs but for the heart in general. Also try to stop the massage therapist from applying femoral pressure. Per the Doc not good for us by-pass patients. Puts too much stress on the veins and arteries which are already under stress. The swelling could be from your meds.

Stanford Doctors told me 2-3 years for numbness and normal feeling to return. The more you exercise your legs (walk a lot) the faster it'll heal. I walk 4-6kms about every three days. Not only good for the legs but for the heart in general. Also try to stop the massage therapist from applying femoral pressure. Per the Doc not good for us by-pass patients. Puts too much stress on the veins and arteries which are already under stress. The swelling could be from your meds.

how do i explain that to one of the ladies who are administering a "foot massage" twice a week. even after googling i have no idea what exactly "femoral pressure" is :huh:

how do i explain that to one of the ladies who are administering a "foot massage" twice a week. even after googling i have no idea what exactly "femoral pressure" is :huh:

Don't feel alone...I have the same problem. And my GF can't help either. Not in their language I guess.