Cheapest Area Of Thailand But With Broadband Internet?

italian2011

Hello, I have a ton of questions but will start searching in the old posts...

Just first I need to know where the cheapest area (I don't like big cities anyway) to rent in Thailand will be.

All I need is:

Internet at least 2 Mbps

safety

peace

a giant supermarket :) or at least decent size.

Thank you

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surayu, why do you find this is so amusing? The guy is only asking the question where is the cheapest location in the kingdom for what he requires...Its not like he said he wanted it all for 3000 baht!!!!

Anyway, OP, i can tell you it is possible to get all the above for around 5000 baht a month in Bangkok, however that will be scraping it.

I have heard comments that you can get the same in Chang mai for even cheaper, but i cannot verify this and i dont know about which areas would be near huge supermarkets in CM

To answer your question maybe you could offer the punters a ballpark figure of what you want to spend per month??

You might get a few wisecrack replies though, so expect the odd comment along the lines of ...."just what Thailand needs, ANOTHER kee-nok tourist"

and of course the odd punter will call you a cheap charlie...but im sure it will be the makings of a great thread :cheesy:

Hi, I already mentioned that I don't want to live in Bangkok.

I still need to grasp about living costs, but lets put a cap at about 30,000 baths per month all included so just for unfurnished rent....probably I should budget 10,000 - 15,000 unless food + electricity + internet + petrol will cost less than 15,000 - 20,000 per month.

One area that seems to be peaceful is Khao Lak but am searching for rentals.

Thank you

Hi, I already mentioned that I don't want to live in Bangkok.

I still need to grasp about living costs, but lets put a cap at about 30,000 baths per month all included so just for unfurnished rent....probably I should budget 10,000 - 15,000 unless food + electricity + internet + petrol will cost less than 15,000 - 20,000 per month.

One area that seems to be peaceful is Khao Lak but am searching for rentals.

Thank you

Sorry, i did not notice anything in your post specifically stating not wanting to live in Bangkok. You might note even some of the bigger cities have suburban areas and surrounding areas that could be considered somewhat peaceful.

Anywhere outside of a big city will most likely offer a cheaper cost of living, but your trouble will then be the internet connection. It is often poor even in Bangkok, so id say some of the "peaceful" areas would be unreliable at best, if not non-existant.

I think 30k should see you fine in just about any part of Thailand but of course there are many other variables and vices to consider. Many an english teacher will live off this same income and myself, i rarely go much over 30k per month.

A few things i find puzzling about your post..why would you be wanting unfurnished rent?? you can get many places partly furnished here and the cost of hiring is minimal compared to having to buy furnishings you might eventually have to ditch.

Also, if you are a newbie to Thailand i am suprised you are talking about getting a licence and car/bike at this stage..that would probably be a bigger hassle than the internet connection :huh:

Edited by ozzieovaseas

Take a look at Chanthaburi, seems too have all you are looking for.

Ubon, If I was to settle down it would be here.

Hello, thanks for your advice, however I read travel warnings about areas close to the borders, both in the North near Cambodia and Laos and in the South near Malaysia so I thought to play safe near Phuket would be my best bet.

@ 'ozzieovaseas' (I'm having troubles with posting quoting your reply)

G'day, no problem mate :) I thought unfurnished would be cheaper and ideally I would probably drive up and down till Singapore so a car will be required but that's off topic.

You could live just about anywhere outside of Bangkok or the tourist areas on 30,000 baht a month if you arenot a partier.

Where I live rents are 2500 for townhouses 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms. Large 4 bedroom houses are 4000 to 5000 baht a month. Most landlords donot deal with your electric or water bills so they can be free for little usage to a few hundred baht a month. Internet is around 800 baht.

You can get these prices just about any northern province . From Pitsanulok to Chiang Rai. I have to take a trip out of town to Bangkok or some where every month just so I can reach the spending 30,000 baht a month. If I stay where I am very difficult to spend 20,000. But I donot drink or smoke.

I suggest you come here travel around a bit before settling. Petchebun is great it has cooler weather.

Edited by lovelomsak

Please don't tell him to go to Chiang Rai, he obviously has seen a brochure about Phuket and wants a postcard beach for cheap with "a supermarket"

Let's keep Chiang Rai unspoilt, It has not got a decent size supermarket, and that's why we like it

Khao Lak is lovely from the beach standpoint, and prices aren't too bad, but it really is isolated and I can't vouch for stable internet. Pattaya offers the best bang for your dollar if you need reliable internet and close to good shopping. It's easy enough to stay well away from the sleeze if that is not your interest. I also has good transportation. Or, you could go south to Rayong or Ban Pong. Always consider transportation. The further you get away from the main centers the more hassle it will be. Bangkok is expensive because it is the hub of all business. Phuket is expensive because it was an over hyped tourist area. I enjoy Chiang Mai because it has a nice balance of everything, but it's not close to any ocean beach area. I enjoy Kanchanaburi, but it is a bit sleepy, and also not close to the ocean beaches. I found Hua Hin to be rather boring.

It's great to have a low cost housing option in any number of places upcountry...

But what happens if the OP needs good medical care and/or hospitalization?

And when he says a "supermarket," I'm presuming he means one where he can buy some variety of western products...

And then there's the access to regional transportation issue someone mentioned above.

When you start factoring in those and other similar kinds of considerations, the options get quite a bit narrower.

1.Sattaheep 30 kms from Pattaya Cheap rent. internet=available but 2 mbs ain't too sure. One Big tesco cheap

2.try some Ban Pe, Rayong or Leam MaePim? There is a medium size Tesco. Internet = Ok. cheap

3.Chantaburi is beautiful. one Big size Tesco. interNet = OK cheap rent

Anywhere in Isarn, is much cheaper. I live and have done so in Southern Buriram ,very near the Cambodian border ,for more years than I care to remember. I n TOTAL safety. We have a growing retail community,where pretty much everything you need for your daily existence is available. We have many markets, both morning and evening. In Buriram , you have 3 "Supermarkets", Big C ,Makro ,And Tawekit. All on public transport routes, if you do not have wheels, They are about 70 kms away. I do a bulk buy about every 3 months, Smaller Tawekits are located in our town and the 2 nearest towns.My cost of living ? Well I support ,financially " a family of 6, incl. myself. + buying farm supplies -fertiliser, weed spray , etc..My rent for a 2 storey 3 bedroom house is B 2,500. per month. So, I spend about B 30, 000 a month max. . That includes paying for 2 children going to school.I want for nothing, my daily existence is quite comfortable, thank you very much. Should you desire it, a lot of Western food is readily available.The only area that is a bit dodgy for safety , really is around Khao Phra Viharn, in SiSa Ket province. But where the "action" is , you would not want to live anyway. No farang live there, The rest of Isarn is very safe. There is a lot of nonsense talked. By Bangkok people, who know no better. Who have never been to Isarn ,but pontificate about how horrible Isarn and the locals are. We, on the converse having suffered life in Bkk for some years., are very thankful for having been given the opportunity to escape. So,Here is a realistic starting point for you to look at places and have some idea of what to look for ,and a basis for comparison. Best of Luck

Anywhere in Isarn, is much cheaper. I live and have done so in Southern Buriram ,very near the Cambodian border ,for more years than I care to remember. I n TOTAL safety. We have a growing retail community,where pretty much everything you need for your daily existence is available. We have many markets, both morning and evening. In Buriram , you have 3 "Supermarkets", Big C ,Makro ,And Tawekit. All on public transport routes, if you do not have wheels, They are about 70 kms away. I do a bulk buy about every 3 months, Smaller Tawekits are located in our town and the 2 nearest towns.My cost of living ? Well I support ,financially " a family of 6, incl. myself. + buying farm supplies -fertiliser, weed spray , etc..My rent for a 2 storey 3 bedroom house is B 2,500. per month. So, I spend about B 30, 000 a month max. . That includes paying for 2 children going to school.I want for nothing, my daily existence is quite comfortable, thank you very much. Should you desire it, a lot of Western food is readily available.The only area that is a bit dodgy for safety , really is around Khao Phra Viharn, in SiSa Ket province. But where the "action" is , you would not want to live anyway. No farang live there, The rest of Isarn is very safe. There is a lot of nonsense talked. By Bangkok people, who know no better. Who have never been to Isarn ,but pontificate about how horrible Isarn and the locals are. We, on the converse having suffered life in Bkk for some years., are very thankful for having been given the opportunity to escape. So,Here is a realistic starting point for you to look at places and have some idea of what to look for ,and a basis for comparison. Best of Luck

Personally horrible? No, not at all. Grammar Horror? Well....lol :jap:

Sorry, I forgot to mention Internet. Some places do have land lines, but now new ones are virtually impossible to get here, So, I use C.A.T. C.D.M.A. it needs a capital investment of about B 8,000 to buy the dongle + a monthly fee of B 850, unlimited. If you move to on area that is more than 15 kilometres from an internet enabled mobile phone tower ,which would be quite difficult, then you can use satellite , I.P.Star. Costs about B5,500 to install + B 1,600 per month , again unlimited. The speed , generally is acceptable, and it is quite reliable.

Edited by afarang