Second Hand Tuk Tuk Price In Hua Hin

boaterjack

Hi - I was trying to buy a second hand tuk tuk for a member of my girlfriends family to operate in hua hin - I was told 65000bhats but when the deal was being finalised they asked for 650000bhats - was I being conned ? - I walked away - Boaterjack

why do people always post when it is not helpful at all in any way (2nd Poster)?? Some people have issues i guess o.O

I heard something about not being able to buy a tuk tuk out of state, i.e. can't but one from Udon and bring it down here... anyone here of anything like this?

For example there are no tuk tuks like the one katabeachbum posted in Hua Hin

What is costly, is the "tea money" to be able to operate it as a business.

It is a rather simple process at DLT to have any vehicle approved and registered to be used as a business, IOW passengers paying to be transported. Operating in Hua Hin I assume Pretchuap Kiri Khan plates is a must, and anyone registered as residents here can obtain so for a few hundred baht at DLT.

However most towns in Thailand you have to earn your right to operate from a tuk tuk stand, usually locals only, by locals I mean from this block in town.

anyone with an approved vehicle, tuk tuks yellow plates (small when privately owned, large when corporate/co op owned), taxis green plates, etc can pickup passengers for a fare.

65K for a Tuk Tuk is a fair price, Petchaburi a 2nd hand is in the region of 80K.......so year/condition sounds OK...650K on the other hand is unrealistic and 4 new ones could be bought for that.

A new tuktuk costs about US$5200, or B160,000 roughly. Check out this website.

http://www.asiatradi...com/tuktuk2.htm

No offence intended, but there are lots and lots of 'gold miners' in LOS.

On page 1 .post number 5 .on the Chiang Mai forum, you might find interesting .The heading is New Wheels , about Tuk-Tuks.My avatar is an Etan

Edited by afarang

Yes, my understanding is that the Tuk Tuk itself is not expensive, but the license to use it as a taxi is very expensive because of the nationwide Tuk Tuk Mafia...

Oh, how true.So expensive that in Bkk,very few people can afford to own one. most drivers rent them , on a daily basis.

• 3 weeks later...

Hua Hin has some sort of licensing system for tuk tuks and the licences when they become available for sale go for loads of money. People who hold these licences often keep them for life but rent out the licence to family members etc for reasonable rent money.

Who issues the licence is not known to me but it might be the Tessaban or could even be the local tuk tuk mafia who are protecting their own interests.

If you or a Thai family member suddenly turns up touting for business then expect to be challenged.

Could I buy a 3 seater tuk tuk for personal use only? Anybody know of a Hua Hin website showing 2nd hand tuk tuks or cars for sale? I have a small budget and may have to rely on just texting a regular tuk tuk driver to come and pick me and my wife up, as needed. I am not confident about using a motorcycle.

Could I buy a 3 seater tuk tuk for personal use only? Anybody know of a Hua Hin website showing 2nd hand tuk tuks or cars for sale? I have a small budget and may have to rely on just texting a regular tuk tuk driver to come and pick me and my wife up, as needed. I am not confident about using a motorcycle.

Tiger Retro is one of very few motorcycles with sidecars legal to use on public roads all over Thailand. Try to google it

Tiger Retro is one of very few motorcycles with sidecars legal to use on public roads all over Thailand. Try to google it

Thanks for that thought, I have never heard of that company. Their website is at http://www.tigermoto.../tproducts.htm.

The Retro looks a little twee to me and given my generous dimensions (ahem) I would look like a Bumble Bee riding an ant on one of those!

It was an interesting thought but it's back to the drawing board I fear.