Getting Around In Cm To See The Sights

wellred

So my trip is edging nearer and I have a decent selection of things I want to see.

mae sa elephant camp,

mae sa snake farm

Baan Tawai Handicraft and wood carving Village,

Royal flower gardens

Doi Suthep Temple

Hua Kaew Waterfall

Muang Goong Pottery Village

Siam Celadon, Baan Celadon, Thai Silk Village, Bor Sarng Umbrella Village

Muang-On-Cave

Seeing some real muay thai

I actually want to see as many temples as I can but just listed Doi Suthep once I realised how many there are. Is there anything else I have missed that one would recommend seeing?

In terms of getting around to go see these places am I best of going private, ie tuk tuk or motorcycle cab or should I go with an in hotel tour desk? I'm on holiday so I don't mind spending a bit of money but just want to make sure im not throwing it away for no reason when I could be getting there more efficiently. I can understand some day trips are worth maybe just going via a tour agency but I want to make sure I know what ones I should go it alone ect..

Thanks

Edited by wellred

I am not all that familiar with all he different things to see but In the old city you can walk to all the attractions several very nice Temples a museum and just plain Thai's going about there every day life.

We went to the Royal flower gardens and hired a boy at the hotel to take us and bring us back. We paid a bit to much maybe actually a lot 400 Baht. I am sure you can do much better. He took us and waited for us there was three of us and a tuck tuck would never get us in. It is a great place I could easley spend a day.

You can get a songtel to Doi Suthep and to the Zoo.

And yes check out the tours at5 the hotel.

Enjoy your visit.

Edited by hellodolly

It depends on your budget, your desired comfort level and how many people are in your party. When we first came to CM we hired a guide for day trips thru the hotel and we're thrilled to find we had an English speaking guide, a driver and air conditioned car just for the two of us. By U.S. standards for a vacation, the price was cheap and it was nice to have a guide explain things to us. It would be even more cost effective if you have 5 or 6 people in your party -- you could hire a guide, driver and very comfortable aircon passenger van for a fairly cheap rate per person.

On the other end of the spectrum, you can flag down a passing song thaew, negotiate a cheap rate, take long bumpy rides in the back of a pick-up truck in the heat, where the view isn't really very good and besides, you'll have no idea what you're seeing. But it's cheap and you do get to experience the "local color" better.

Many of the things you mentioned on your "bucket list" aren't very close to the city. Remember Chiang Mai is both a city and a province. Just because some attraction advertises that it's in Chiang Mai doesn't mean it's in the city. We saw many of these things during our first tourist visit and it seemed like all we did was drive 30 - 40 miles outside the city to see various sights, only to return late in the afternoon, tired and not up for a late afternoon walk around the city in the heat.

Youv'e missed the real Chiang Mai (the city) if you don't get up early - 7am at the latest - and walk around a few temples within the square moat. Having said that Doi Suthep would also be on my unmissable list, for the journey and views as much as the temple itself.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I am traveling solo so was also giving some thought to hiring out a tuk tuk for the day. So it sounds like if I am seeing anything in the old city then I should travel around on foot although a tuk tuk can be good to get out of the heat, otherwise some sort of vehicle hire is good for going outside the city.

Youv'e missed the real Chiang Mai (the city) if you don't get up early - 7am at the latest - and walk around a few temples within the square moat. Having said that Doi Suthep would also be on my unmissable list, for the journey and views as much as the temple itself.

Huh??? I've been here 4 years and have never been up and in the city at 7:00. What have I missed??

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I am traveling solo so was also giving some thought to hiring out a tuk tuk for the day. So it sounds like if I am seeing anything in the old city then I should travel around on foot although a tuk tuk can be good to get out of the heat, otherwise some sort of vehicle hire is good for going outside the city.

A tuk tuk for a day is not very comfortable and unless you are a midget almost impossible to see out of.Add the noise and fumes it's a scenario you might regret.Ok for just short trips.Its low season at the moment and the city is fairly quiet ,a good time to negotiate a comfortable, air conditioned car and English speaking driver.

Renting a motorcycle 200-250 a day would be a good idea for you to visit Doi Suthep and the waterfall. It isn't a bad ride to Hangdong for Bahn Tawai, or Bor Sangh but I wouldn't do both on the same day as they are in opposite directions. Personally I would only go to one or the either not both, but if you want fabric, ceramics and silver products Bor Sangh has a better selection.

For 800-900 baht (750 if they are desperate) you can get a group tour to see the elephant camp, ride one for an hour, take an ox cart see the hill tribe, bamboo raft, orchid garden. Some even pay the 200-250 extra and see the tigers. I think that it is worth it overall. If you did on your own you might save 400-500 baht, but for the convenience of not dealing with haggling or getting lost I think that it is worth it. PM if you cannot find a place on the web yourself or want their direct phone number, there are two that I found that offered reasonable rates.

You might be dissapointed with the snake farms, but if you have never seen cobras you will learn something.

Wat Chiang Man is the oldest temple in CM and has some very special relics, Chedi Luang is another must see if Temples are your thing.

As others recommend getting to Temples early isn't a bad idea. If you go early enough you can see the monks/novices parade around with their bowls. Give some food and get a blessing. It can be a nice feeling.

For 250 baht you might want to hire a horse cart and go around Wiang Kuhm Kahn (the first city center built by King Mengrai, it is only about 15 minute drive from city center.

Don't waste your time with taxis or tuk tuks. It is far too much hassle than they are worth. As long as you can handle a motorcycle, they are by far the easiest way to get around. Unless of course you come during the height of rain season.

As for MuyThai, do it in BKK if you are going to be there. I wouldn't say that I have ever seen a "real" event here in CM. There are some good fights but most are lower ranked or amateurs.

PS, make sure that you have your travel insurance with you. It really might help in a worst case scenario.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday.

You can rent a van with driver for 1500 baht per day. Your going to love the air conditioning.

But definately Doi Suthep by moped, the trip up the mountain is fun in itself, go up past the temple and there is a very beautiful view point. on the same road you can get to Doi Pui and visit a hilltribe village (commercialized) and see opium poppies and ganja plants. But this year there doesnt seem to be any opium poppies growing. You cant get lost on this road so dont worry, bring lunch and a drink for the viewpoint, i can chill out up there all day and the temperature drops dramatically the higher up you go, it starts to get cooler about 5 minutes up the mountain and takes about 40 minutes to reach the viewpoint.

The tiger farm, snake and monkey shows can be reached by moped by traveling straight down Chang Puak road and turning at the correct road. Tiger farm is kind of a ripoff though and only worth it if you plan on actually touching the tigers, the entrance fees are dependent on the age of the tigers. Cubs are cheapest. Probably better of just going to the zoo.

Huh??? I've been here 4 years and have never been up and in the city at 7:00. What have I missed??

I've done it a couple of times on the bike - its lovely. The shops and stalls are just setting up, people are sweeping the street, monks are walking on every corner, uniformed kids are getting on their way to school. Mornings are usually bright with sunshine but it isn't hot and there isn't loads of traffic yet. It isn't the Khantoke dinner Chiang Mai, its the everyday Chiang Mai. When the city is just waking up, you can't help but take it all in and really appreciate its true charm. Great recommendation.

Just hire a car and english speaking guide driver.

Forget the tuk tuks, taxi's, and motorbikes.

Bikes can be fun, if you are experienced driving in Thailand, but can be your downfall (litteraly) if you don't know how people drive here. It is a madhouse for the inexperienced.

If your adventurous, and feel confident enough, find a nice girl around town to be your guide. Rent a car yourself and drive.

Remember 2's company. and probably cheaper than hiring a pro guide with car.

Edited by KimoMax

I'd like to comment on some of the sights on the agenda. This is strictly one personal opinion.

> mae sa elephant camp,

Touristy, but okay, and easy to reach and easy to combine with other nearby stuff. I'd leave this in unless you want it to be a life-changing elephant experience.

> mae sa snake farm

One of the aforementioned close-by attractions to the above. Can also include the Tiger Kingdom in this, Mae Sa Waterfall, some other waterfalls and an inctredible array of dog & pony shows on that road ranging from butterfly farms to bungee jumping.

> Baan Tawai Handicraft and wood carving Village,

Probably the best place to go for larger, quality items such as furniture and larger decorative items. If you're just looking to pick up a wooden elephant then you can do that at the Night Bazar or the Umbrella Village. In terms of shopping for handicrafts, the Sunday evening Walking Street market absolutely needs to be on your list as you show an interest in shopping.

> Royal flower gardens

Meh. Unless there is a show on, I think there are better gardens at Sirikit Botanical gardens (further up the dog & pony show road), or Tweechol / Horizon Botanical Garden.

> Doi Suthep Temple

Yes, absolute must. Don't miss the natural attractions on the way up, and past the temple.

> Hua Kaew Waterfall

Meh. There's a much better one a bit further up the mountani. Montrathan falls, which however isn't free. There are other little streams and small waterfalls before you get there that are free; look for some parked cars and motorbikes on the way up.

> Muang Goong Pottery Village

Skip that.

> Siam Celadon, Baan Celadon, Thai Silk Village, Bor Sarng Umbrella Village

More tourist traps; you're already heavy on the shopping. So I'd say skip it unless shopping is your life. Then again it's all on the same road, so if you have an extra day to kill and/or souvenirs to pick up then why not.

> Muang-On-Cave

I don't think I've ever been there.. It's near to the Sankamphaeng Hot springs.. That always looked very artificial to me due to all the landscaping, gardening and plumbing that went in. Can I suggest you do a 1 or 2 day trip to Chiang Dao? You get a good cave, mountain, forest, waterfalls and nearby elephant camp there.

> Seeing some real muay thai

At Kawila stadium I suppose.. Check the listings. This is the other thing I personally never bothered with, so can't really comment.

Main comment: You need to fit in an out of town trip. Doesn't have to be a full trek/tour, but you could stay in the Chiang Dao area, or perhaps Pai.

I've done it a couple of times on the bike - its lovely. The shops and stalls are just setting up, people are sweeping the street, monks are walking on every corner, uniformed kids are getting on their way to school. Mornings are usually bright with sunshine but it isn't hot and there isn't loads of traffic yet. It isn't the Khantoke dinner Chiang Mai, its the everyday Chiang Mai. When the city is just waking up, you can't help but take it all in and really appreciate its true charm. Great recommendation.

Thanks for replying for me - I would have said pretty much the same.

Applies to all Thailand - it's a really evocative country after dawn breaks.

Mostly agree with Winnie on this one, I disagree on Huew Keau Waterfall, not that it is spectacular, it is not, but it is so easy and quick to get to, you can buy some beer and bbq chicken (or bugs and frogs) there, rent a mat and chill for a while.

The things listed by the op are mostly the basic tour package sites, get those out of the way quickly and get on with more in depth explorations.