Caught Speeding

Would anyone care to post where these radar cam catches were done?

Also, does anyone know whether they are fixed and constantly operating, or mobile. If fixed, that would be a nice database to take note of......

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got caught on the entrance of the expressway in Sukhumvit Bangkok. I changed the lane of the tollboth. because i saw to late that the tollboth in the front of me, was only for some kind of card, no cash, that wat i understud. The distance of the turn was to short that i could use the correct lane in the begin. But anyway i can't read Thai, so i wasn't sure and changed the lane to another tollboth., Got caught with a 1'000 Baht fine. They told me that i could pay in Lumpini station only 400 Baht, but they would put minus points of 40% on my Thai drive license. So in other case a "blackmail". Since we getting now the pointing system in Bangkok i will not show my Thaidrive license anymore. It's better o show them my Swiss DL in the future. I guess my Swiss DL can not be "pointet", just fined. BTW 10 of other car changed the lane behind me and noone got caught. It was just me, because i'm a foreigner. Paid the police the 1'000 Baht fine to not waste my time and get out of trouble. What else you can do?

Got caught on the entrance of the expressway in Sukhumvit Bangkok. I changed the lane of the tollboth. because i saw to late that the tollboth in the front of me, was only for some kind of card, no cash, that wat i understud. The distance of the turn was to short that i could use the correct lane in the begin. But anyway i can't read Thai, so i wasn't sure and changed the lane to another tollboth., Got caught with a 1'000 Baht fine. They told me that i could pay in Lumpini station only 400 Baht, but they would put minus points of 40% on my Thai drive license. So in other case a "blackmail". Since we getting now the pointing system in Bangkok i will not show my Thaidrive license anymore. It's better o show them my Swiss DL in the future. I guess my Swiss DL can not be "pointet", just fined. BTW 10 of other car changed the lane behind me and noone got caught. It was just me, because i'm a foreigner. Paid the police the 1'000 Baht fine to not waste my time and get out of trouble. What else you can do?

Cars behind you did not get caught because the police was busy with you :)

You mentioned that Westerner's are specifically targeted as a meal ticket, I would argue that the Thai Police would target anyone as a meal ticket - their laziness and greed is not confined by race.

Fully agree.

With regards to different fine amounts, the car you drive is also a factor. I was stopped at an alcohol checkpoint once - had to pay double to what my friend in another car paid as I was driving a Benz. It's pure and simple economics. Oh, did I mention this was in Malaysia?

During +8 years fulltime living in Thailand and +450k km on the roads all over the country, I can not see foreigners beeing fined differently than Thai nationals.

However the government is looking into European fining calculations, called day-salary-fine. One day fine is one days salary according to tax payments or other records. For no/ low income it will most likely start at 250 baht/day, For a foreigner with WP we are looking at 2.000 baht/day upwards, and retirementvisa holders 2.500 baht/day. And of course Thai high earners are looking at much higher fines

and please dont ask me for a link, cause as so often it comes from reading printed stuff, and source forgotten, only content memorized ;)

I also memorize max fine for speeding and a bunch of other traffic offenses was supposed to be raised from 1.000 baht, but cant confirm if this has happend yet

Got stopped a couple of week ago on the 9 the road round BKK was doing 150+ on a 120kmph rd several other peep's all Thai got stopped as well we all had to get out of our car's while several nice young ladies gave us a ticket. Everyone had different speed's. All were priced at 500bt. You could pay then or send the money off or the 7/11 bit. I cough up there and then. No double pricing and at 500bt bloody cheap.

Personally I would have drove within the legal limit and kept the 500 for beer chits. Up to you!

:ph34r:

Yep spot on I was just keeping up with the traffic + the good lady wanted to use a loo as they do. That's why several of us got stopped. Now when I use that rd it's Cruse/C 117kmph. As you say am now keeping the cash for beer token's.

Went to the expressway police station today with the accountant ( Thai ) from work to pay the fine ( 7/11 was a no-go :rolleyes: ). She asked about the amount and they said that yes 500 Baht is the usual amount, but when she asked why I got 1000, there were a few shrugs of shoulders and some conversation I could not follow, but basically she told me that they were now looking to fine people the maximum allowed which is as someone pointed out 1000 Baht

I was caught on the 9 ring road by the way and today I entered the toll way at Srinakarin heading over the river, I noticed a man with a camera checking the opposite side, I believe thats where I was caught. These cameras are on the increase, spotted 2 on the same road heading Ayuttya direction last week.

Have driven over 200km in the couple of years I have been here and I find the road spot checks to be totally random, have got clean away with no fine, haggled a 1000 down to 250, had 1 BiB stroke his gun when I refused 500, he accepted 400 and 1 guy told me the the 100 I gave him was for his mia noi and then wanted to shake my hand :lol:

Am no angel on the road so generally play the game but do get frustrated when I end up paying when doing nothing wrong !

Edited by Bangkokhatter

Also, does anyone know whether they are fixed and constantly operating, or mobile. If fixed, that would be a nice database to take note of......

The only ones I have seen on the expressways are a lone operator, sitting on the elevated wall between the 2 directions. I know some intersections in BKK have fixed cameras, but do not remember their names :(

The only ones I have seen on the expressways are a lone operator, sitting on the elevated wall between the 2 directions. I know some intersections in BKK have fixed cameras, but do not remember their names :(

I've seen that very frequently on the expressway inbound from Suvarnabhumi on the expressway, after the last Rama 9 exit in that straightway before the toll booths. Then at the toll booth there are several officers waving people over. In fact, I've seen it there so frequently that when I am driving back from the airport, I always get over and go with the flow after the Rama 9 exit until the toll booths.

I know there are fixed intersection cams at several locations in BKK to catch red light runners. Saw a list somewhere, but it seemed that most major intersections have them. If anyone knows of fixed speedcam locations, do post them here.

Found the link I was thinking of, but it's from 2009 and perhaps not accurate. Who knows if they are all working now. From http://2bangkok.com/09-bangkok-red-light-cameras.html

Up to now, the digital camera has been installed in more than 30 spots in Bangkok:

1. The Ratchada-Ladprao intersection

2. The Ban Ma intersection

3. The Klong ton intersection

4. The Asokepetch intersection

5. The Wireless-Ploenchit intersection

6. The Sanghi intersection

7. The Phaya thai intersection

8. The Chokechai 4 intersection

9. The Nida intersection

10. The Urupong intersection

11. The Pradipat intersection

12. The Ratchada-Rama4 intersection

13. The Lamsali intersection

14. The Bankhaek intersection

15. The Bangphat intersection

16. The Narinthorn intersection

17. The Ratchaprasong intersection

18. The Asoke-Sukhumvit intersection

19. The Sathorn intersection

20. The Taksin intersection

21. The Poh Kaew intersection

22. Pattanakarn-cross Ramkhamhaeng 24 Road intersection

23. The Rom Klao intersection

24. The Sulakakorn intersection

25. The Mengjai intersection

26. The Thaphra intersection

27. The Prawes intersection

28. The Henri Dunont intersection

29. The Prachanukul intersection

30. The Bang Pho intersection

Also here is an earlier post from TV with some speed cam locations:

Absolute barstool paranoia...... The Police are simply not interested in 'Foreign Motorists'..... I've lost count of the number of Check-Points I've driven through without so much second glance from the Police. My windows are hardly tinted so it's not difficult for them to spot me.

The only time a Police man may show more interest in a western motorist is if they are doing something wrong. Their response to being stopped will often determine the degree of penalty or fine.

The idea that a charge is doubled because someone is a foreigner is simply daft. The variation in penalty is simply region dependent.

When will people get over the fact that depending on how we behave we are liked or disliked, tolerated or welcomed no more or less than the average Thai person...

It is obvious you have not done much driving on Sukhumvit in Bangkok, white face automatic fine.

I drive there all the time never had a fine... Not saying it doesn't happen but so far just not to me after 8 years..

Last year coming up the 7 we got caught doing 156. The fine was 700.

They had a price list next to their little tent they have next to the toll booth.

IIRC:

121-140kmh: 500

141-160kmh: 700

161+: 900

I asked the people there: what if I go 250kmh, do I still pay only 900?

Answer: Yes.

:lol: :lol:

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

That entrance is a "significant meal ticket" for the police. That's the one where I was pulled over because, 'Pickup cannot enter here' to quote the cop. Never mind that other pick ups were happily tootling past either. The cop wanted an outrageous 5000 baht in lieu of the licence being handed over for a 400 baht ticket. For his pains, he got my expired Texas DL since there I was headed for the airport and the truck was a rental and I had no intention of missing my flight while going to Lumpini while my Thai license would probably still be in his back pocket.

I wasn't speeding, I wasn't changing lanes, I wasn't breaking any law (there is no restriction on pick up trucks using that expressway entrance). I had the window down to pay the toll and from their 'island' between the ramps, they can happily nail the farang face, even the ones with an incredulous Thai wife in the passenger seat.

We are, due to our rather insignificant numbers, a rather significant 'meal ticket' to more than a few of what passes for traffic law enforcement in LOS.

You mentioned that Westerner's are specifically targeted as a meal ticket, I would argue that the Thai Police would target anyone as a meal ticket - their laziness and greed is not confined by race.

Now you are misquoting me. Yes, the cops don't care where their money comes from. However, that doesn't mean that the foreigner doesn't make a SIGNIFICANT contribution for being such a small percentage of the total of daily shakedown drivers.

Two nights ago, coming in from Saraburi around 10pm. There's a traffic slowdown and it looks like there's a random breathalyser tent set up on the nearside lane. I am crawling along in the bumper-to-bumper outer lane. I suddenly see the 'beer tent' through a break in the traffic with a load of indolent cops with their flashing wands looking bored. Then they see the farang on the outside lane and there's a flurry of pointing, sticks raised and some start to move across towards me.... just as the traffic frees up ahead and avoiding eye contact, I accelerate away.

<deleted> you, you f*cks!

We are, due to our rather insignificant numbers, a rather significant 'meal ticket' to more than a few of what passes for traffic law enforcement in LOS.

Now you are misquoting me. Yes, the cops don't care where their money comes from. However, that doesn't mean that the foreigner doesn't make a SIGNIFICANT contribution for being such a small percentage of the total of daily shakedown drivers.

Two nights ago, coming in from Saraburi around 10pm. There's a traffic slowdown and it looks like there's a random breathalyser tent set up on the nearside lane. I am crawling along in the bumper-to-bumper outer lane. I suddenly see the 'beer tent' through a break in the traffic with a load of indolent cops with their flashing wands looking bored. Then they see the farang on the outside lane and there's a flurry of pointing, sticks raised and some start to move across towards me.... just as the traffic frees up ahead and avoiding eye contact, I accelerate away.

<deleted> you, you f*cks!

lol i like it but im usually saying f@@k u f@@k u after ive paid

However the government is looking into European fining calculations, called day-salary-fine....

It has been some time since I drove in Europe, but I thought that was only in Scandanavian countries (Finland, Denmark, Norway and Iceland) where police have access to income tax records (not permitted under privacy laws in most countries) and in Switzerland in court cases (not on-the-spot fines)? That would probably require major changes to a number of Thai laws concerning declaration of assets (currently only MPs) and as far as I was aware very few speeding offences result in court appearances here, as they are dealt with directly by the police unless there are other offences involved. I would have thought that taking this responsibility away from the police and passing it to the courts would have been resisted by the police (for obvious reasons) and by the courts who already have long waiting lists.

As I recall, even in Scandanavia automated speeding fines are still fixed penalties as it is usually impossible to positively identify the driver.

Edited by LeCharivari

However the government is looking into European fining calculations, called day-salary-fine....

It has been some time since I drove in Europe, but I thought that was only in Scandanavian countries (Finland, Denmark, Norway and Iceland) where police have access to income tax records (not permitted under privacy laws in most countries) and in Switzerland in court cases (not on-the-spot fines)? That would probably require major changes to a number of Thai laws concerning declaration of assets (currently only MPs) and as far as I was aware very few speeding offences result in court appearances here, as they are dealt with directly by the police unless there are other offences involved. I would have thought that taking this responsibility away from the police and passing it to the courts would have been resisted by the police (for obvious reasons) and by the courts who already have long waiting lists.

As I recall, even in Scandanavia automated speeding fines are still fixed penalties as it is usually impossible to positively identify the driver.

In Scandinavian countries an automated speeding fine can only be issued when driver has been positively identified, and to the driver only (not bvehilce owner) and its been like this since automatic speed camers where introduced late 1970/early 1980s.

Day-salary-fines are calculated on income, not assets, and has been used for 3 decades. A large part of the Thai population declare income.

As we can see, more and more traffic fines in TH are automated, and there should be no problem to adress them to driver rather than owner of vehicle

As we can see, more and more traffic fines in TH are automated, and there should be no problem to adress them to driver rather than owner of vehicle

How?

Once you have to positively identify the driver rather than the owner the system is no longer automated, plus you have the additional problem that rather less cars in Scandanavia have tinted windows than do in Thailand. In cases where a car's registration number has been cloned, for example, the Thai police have already been shown to be unable to even identify whether or not there was a passenger in the car - the Yaris-driving starlet whose car was caught jumping the red lights when it was parked on a movie set, who successfully contested her fine, was a prime example in the Thai papers some time ago.

Given that it will be next to impossible to identify any drivers here from the photos, the end result if it ever does get introduced will inevitably be a lot of cars driven by those with little or no declared income.

^My wife doesn't drive but she owns our cars, I drive, how's that going to work out??

In Scandinavia a letter is sendt to car owner asked to identify driver. If no ID, Police investigate by checking DL photos on same adress or other links. They even come home or to your workplace in uniform to visit owner until driver has been found

How?

Once you have to positively identify the driver rather than the owner the system is no longer automated, plus you have the additional problem that rather less cars in Scandanavia have tinted windows than do in Thailand. In cases where a car's registration number has been cloned, for example, the Thai police have already been shown to be unable to even identify whether or not there was a passenger in the car - the Yaris-driving starlet whose car was caught jumping the red lights when it was parked on a movie set, who successfully contested her fine, was a prime example in the Thai papers some time ago.

Given that it will be next to impossible to identify any drivers here from the photos, the end result if it ever does get introduced will inevitably be a lot of cars driven by those with little or no declared income.

Today only the speedchecks are automated. Every photo, plate number has to be looked up in DLT computer manually.

making windscreen prohibited to tint, would make Thai law on window tint closer to the rest of the world. Making the fine 10.000 baht with 1/3 to officer would make this a windscreen no tint country in a few months

Making speed fines 5.000 baht for car owner when driver no ID, and lowering it to max 4.000 baht of high income ID, and as low as 250 baht for non income ID could work. Speed photo compared with DL photo isnt difficult.

The new plate law states fake plate is punished with imprisonment 6 months to 5 year. For 6 years I have never been asked to provide copy book on the roads. Past 2 years, several times.

I already know you do not believe this law exists, but it does

I am in no way planning to design this system for Thai Government, simply informing TV readers they are working on it, and it should be simple to copy what other countries have successfully done for decades.

Will getting one of those Highway Police stickers help?

Looking up your cars plate, find your ID number, looking you up in Highwaypolice register and then not finding you listed, I assume they would double the fine for pretending to be a Police :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking up your cars plate, find your ID number, looking you up in Highwaypolice register and then not finding you listed, I assume they would double the fine for pretending to be a Police :lol: :lol: :lol:

What I mean is that I have a connection in the Highway Police that might be able to get me one. At any rate, I reckon the chances of just getting waved on at road blocks will increase.

Edited by Bkkorupcountry

What I mean is that I have a connection in the Highway Police that might be able to get me one. At any rate, I reckon the chances of just getting waved on at road blocks will increase.

I am a Big Bike Highwaypolice Volunteer, and my vehicles are marked front and rear with HWP stickers. Out on the Highways, Police are so used to seeing "fake" stickers they pull me over anyway. They do not believe I am a HWP until they have checked my badge and ID card.

About me being HWP, relax. I do not take part in fine collecting Police activities. Do not want to.:)